Drum Corps International 50th Anniversary

19 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

Side note: Jim seems to have weasels on his mind a lot these days 

He’s hilarious.  I went to the store the other day and when I came home, I said it’s raining.  And he said “outside?” 😳

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

A podcast and buy our merchandise?  I’m underwhelmef

If I’m being totally honest I am not surprised at all that DCI is doing very little  for their 50th anniversary.  Especially for the fans. DCI thank  the members the educators the parents the sponsors usually the volunteers and just about never the fans.  Just listen to the announcements at the beginning of a DCI show they say”  you have the privilege to watch the members perform “ well isn’t it that members have a privilege to perform because of the fans?  Would it really be so hard to have a small fan celebration during the Indy week. Or maybe at each regional?

Sorry guys for being so ranty but it really bothers me and has bothered me for many years that DCI snubs their nose at their fans and  takes them for granted and seems to forget that without fans  the whole activity would collapse

Edited by Triple Forte
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Triple Forte said:

If I’m being totally honest I am not surprised at all that DCI is doing very little  for their 50th anniversary.  Especially for the fans. DCI thank  the members the educators the parents the sponsors usually the volunteers and just about never the fans.  Just listen to the announcements at the beginning of a DCI show they say”  you have the privilege to watch the members perform “ well isn’t it that members have a privilege to perform because of the fans?  Would it really be so hard to have a small fan celebration during the Indy week. Or maybe at each regional?

Sorry guys for being so ranty but it really bothers me and has bothered me for many years that DCI snubs their nose at their fans and  takes them for granted and seems to forget that without fans  the whole activity would collapse

Jeff Ream has said many times that they really don’t care about the legacy fans.  The people who marched and then went onto support the activity for decades. I believe him.  I guess it’s understandable to cultivate the younger audience of band kids.  Probably makes more long term business sense.  I don’t know.

A lot of fans have also played many roles in the activity.  Marching members, staff, volunteers, parents of members…. And I’m just referring to the two people in this room.

I probably should have just kept my yap shut. 😂 

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 5

24 minutes ago, Triple Forte said:

.  Just listen to the announcements at the beginning of a DCI show they say”  you have the privilege to watch the members perform “  

Well gee thank you DCI for allowing me to watch the show.

No pun intended but tone deaf…. My thought would be “and you have the privilege to take my money when I buy a ticket. Privileges can be revoked”

Ever go to a restaurant or store and get the feeling staff acts like they are doing you a favorite by waiting on you? How soon did you go back… if at all.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Triple Forte said:

This same issue exists at my college alma mater, but at least DCI doesn't call me once a month asking for money. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

Jeff Ream has said many times that they really don’t care about the legacy fans.  The people who marched and then went onto support the activity for decades. I believe him.  I guess it’s understandable to cultivate the younger audience of band kids.  Probably makes more long term business sense.  I don’t know.

A lot of fans have also played many roles in the activity.  Marching members, staff, volunteers, parents of members…. And I’m just referring to the two people in this room.

i have heard rumors of some things that were being worked on. no specifics, but i am aware of some rumors. time will tell.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

He’s hilarious.  I went to the store the other day and when I came home, I said it’s raining.  And he said “outside?” 😳

My brother from a different mother. 

• Haha 1

I'm not sure if I count as a legacy fan yet. I aged out in 2002 which really seems like it was much more recent that 40% of DCI history ago. Since becoming a member of "Friends of DCI," I have felt more like a member of the appreciated club. Granted, it costs me something, but I pay that to get access to the best tickets for Indy and I'm fine with that. I've been a member of the review committee for Volunteer of the Year for the past two years and have found that to be really rewarding and a nice way to help DCI celebrate the kinds of people this thread is about.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

OMG; you sound like my wife when I make goofy comments.  Maybe he thought you meant "it's raining men"? 😂

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

I, for one, appreciate everyone that has made this great activity building the foundation of the early years.  My first taste of drum & bugle corps was through my HS band director when he took us to finals at Legion Field in 1980.  My life forever changed.  Now through the years, I've had several former students that have marched BAC, Magic, Memphis, Scouts, & Southwind.   Our BAC student is aging out this year & he's having the time of his life!

Thank you DCI alumni & Godspeed!    

Edited by keystone3ply
cx
  • Like 3