What's the worst weather that you ever marched in?

With a background in meteorology, I am inherently interested in the overlap between weather and drum corps.

What is the worst weather conditions that you ever endured while performing? Obviously dangerous weather conditions were/are avoided, but sometimes conditions can turn on a dime. Was it heat? Was it persistent wind? How about a downpour of rain? Looking for some stories of wild weather and drum corps here. 

High heat + humidity is unpleasant but fairly normal. Extreme heat and sun (such as in Ariozna) is potentially dangerous for brass players. I recall having to hold my mouthpiece in my hand between reps so it wouldn't become blisteringly hot and burn my face. Downpours are dangerous but those are usually situations when outdoor rehearsal is abandoned, baseball rules. 

As for the worst we had to endure, I'd say it was high winds combined with a dry and dusty field. Dirt  was kicked up into the air every rep and blew around the field furiously. Members were coughing, visibility was at times not great, and we all became filthy. High winds of course are not fun for guard (or guard-adjacent members..heh..), and indeed, many hats were lost that day. 

• Like 1

Not in drumcorps, but in marching band season the worst weather I marched in was where the temperature was in the high 30s for a few contests in November and really REALLY windy...  It's pretty hard to keep the brass in tune with the pit, so things didn't sound that great...

In drumcorps, probably rain and thunderstorms...  We've all had that practice where it started pouring and thundering out of nowhere.

• Like 1

Quarterfinals. 2004. Mile High Stadium. OOOOOF. Or should I saw WOOOOOSH!

There was such high winds, every flag that went up came down at nearly a 45degree (or greater) angle back down. Color guard scrambling nearly 10 yards to recover their equipment. Shako's and plumes everywhere. One of the worst experiences I've ever had in a performance. Did anyone else performing that day have similar experiences?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DcFr3aK said:

Quarterfinals. 2004. Mile High Stadium. OOOOOF. Or should I saw WOOOOOSH!

There was such high winds, every flag that went up came down at nearly a 45degree (or greater) angle back down. Color guard scrambling nearly 10 yards to recover their equipment. Shako's and plumes everywhere. One of the worst experiences I've ever had in a performance. Did anyone else performing that day have similar experiences?

I was there but I can’t remember.  Not marching, of course.  Just watching.

• Like 1

Had a show snowed out in Wisconsin in May 72 or 73. They moved the show into the HS gym for a standstill, but we had to warm up and march in from the outdoors the building was so small. Our blue pants and I remember Belleville's black pants both had snow falling off the cuffs as we marked time. Our white bucks sure looked good, though. 

• Like 2