What's the worst weather that you ever marched in?

38 minutes ago, DcFr3aK said:

Quarterfinals. 2004. Mile High Stadium. OOOOOF. Or should I saw WOOOOOSH!

When did you perform? I think there was a delay of our step off time because of rain showers coming through, we were 14th. 

Also 2004 - remember Glassmen getting poured on at Allentown? It was the first night, we (Capital Regiment) were on the second night, but we were doing our full run through at the same time. Horrendous rain - couldn't see the drum major from the field. The staff didn't stop the runthrough, which is pretty stupid (since everyone and their shoes, etc were wet and miserable for the next week). 

2005 in Oklahoma was a hot, dry and windy day. Really lousy. I remember throwing my hat into the air during a water break, and it flying 25 yards, over the entire pit. It didn't help that the housing site had no running water or air conditioning in the gym.

Lincoln, NE show in 2006 - felt the temperature drop 20 degrees in ensemble rehearsal. During show warmups, (Cadets) got out of horn arc and literally ran into a school building because of lightning. The show was delayed, and apparently the stairs of the stadium became a waterfall. After standing around inside waiting for half an hour, Gino got the text that the show was canceled, and yelled "OK, we're goin' to Denver!!" (our next show).

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

Had a show snowed out in Wisconsin in May 72 or 73. They moved the show into the HS gym for a standstill, but we had to warm up and march in from the outdoors the building was so small. Our blue pants and I remember Belleville's black pants both had snow falling off the cuffs as we marked time. Our white bucks sure looked good, though. 

It snowed in Kenosha in 73.  Memorial Day weekend. 

VFW Nationals 1971 - Cotton Bowl, Dallas Texas.

Dead.

Our staff screwed up.  In the days prior they worked us too hard in the Texas heat/humidity, so by Nationals we were tired, came out flat, and sucked.

But it was motivational for 1972. 

• Like 3

I once marched as a strong ban of thunderstorms were rolling through from a tropical storm. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

VFW Nationals 1971 - Cotton Bowl, Dallas Texas.

Dead.

Our staff screwed up.  In the days prior they worked us too hard in the Texas heat/humidity, so by Nationals we were tired, came out flat, and sucked.

But it was motivational for 1972. 

That happens more often than you think even here in Texas. 

• Like 1

1988...really 1988....

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Terri Schehr said:

I think they had a whole DCA championship in a tropical storm in 2005. 

I believe it.... it's not a good idea, but I believe it. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I think they had a whole DCA championship in a tropical storm in 2005. 

2006.  Hurricane Ernesto - followed us up from the south, prelims were absolutely atrocious.  horizontal rain and tropical storm winds.  Should have been postponed but I think there really was no contingency that year.

Other personal experiences through the years:  I believe July 1980 Lewisburg - absolutely insane and incredibly dangerous lightning storm, hitting all around the stadium.  Did not deter the Skyliners who were on the field at the height of the storm.  they just played louder!

August 1986 Lewistown - warming up before the show and apparently a funnel cloud was crossing over the school and stadium.  "The band" played on...

1 hour ago, FTNK said:

When did you perform? I think there was a delay of our step off time because of rain showers coming through, we were 14th. 

Also 2004 - remember Glassmen getting poured on at Allentown? It was the first night, we (Capital Regiment) were on the second night, but we were doing our full run through at the same time. Horrendous rain - couldn't see the drum major from the field. The staff didn't stop the runthrough, which is pretty stupid (since everyone and their shoes, etc were wet and miserable for the next week). 

2005 in Oklahoma was a hot, dry and windy day. Really lousy. I remember throwing my hat into the air during a water break, and it flying 25 yards, over the entire pit. It didn't help that the housing site had no running water or air conditioning in the gym.

Lincoln, NE show in 2006 - felt the temperature drop 20 degrees in ensemble rehearsal. During show warmups, (Cadets) got out of horn arc and literally ran into a school building because of lightning. The show was delayed, and apparently the stairs of the stadium became a waterfall. After standing around inside waiting for half an hour, Gino got the text that the show was canceled, and yelled "OK, we're goin' to Denver!!" (our next show).

I went to college with a guy who marched with Capital Regiment. We didn't exactly get a long... honestly he was kind of a jerk. But it made do some research on the corps at the time and I generally enjoyed yalls shows.