What's the worst weather that you ever marched in?

In minus 50 degrees with windchill walking from my apartment to Walter Library on the University of Minnesota campus.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Sutasaurus said:

‘76 in Kenosha I believe. The fog rolled in off of Lake Michigan. After warm up on the starting line we got the command to turn around. As we turned to the audience…..there was no audience….just fog. We stepped off not being able to see the drum major. Didn’t see the crowd until we got to the middle of the field.

I think that was Horicon.  I’ve never seen anything like it.  I couldn’t see the person next to me.  

• Like 2

Also marching band but early 80s in Michigan late October show in Plymouth (state finals I think?) it was so cold that my (marching) tympani head frosted over during the walk from warm-ups to the stadium as we were the last to go on.

Based on this, a week later at MBA Nationals (aka BOA) in Tennessee I wore a heavy sweater under my (wool) uniform which was great for practice and warm-up. Unfortunately the show was inside a dome so once I got inside I was sweating like crazy. During the 'drum majors are you ready' I can be seen on the video wiping my hands on my pants so that my sticks didn't fly out of my hands once I started playing. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I think that was Horicon.  I’ve never seen anything like it.  I couldn’t see the person next to me.  

You’re probably right. Remember “The Swamp” in LaCrosse? The stadium lights were dimmed by all the insects flying around them.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I’m sure I ate a few.  I tried to think of it as protein.

Oh, so you passed on the peanut butter at the food truck? Wait! Did we have food trucks BITD?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, PeterGibbons said:

Also marching band but early 80s in Michigan late October show in Plymouth (state finals I think?) it was so cold that my (marching) tympani head frosted over during the walk from warm-ups to the stadium as we were the last to go on.

Based on this, a week later at MBA Nationals (aka BOA) in Tennessee I wore a heavy sweater under my (wool) uniform which was great for practice and warm-up. Unfortunately the show was inside a dome so once I got inside I was sweating like crazy. During the 'drum majors are you ready' I can be seen on the video wiping my hands on my pants so that my sticks didn't fly out of my hands once I started playing. 

I'm gonna guess Flushing?  My sister was in band before me and did grand Nats in Tennessee. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, 2000Cadet said:

Locusts in 1999. I'm exaggerating. I think they were grasshoppers. 

Oh my senior year we gave up on Camp Raglafart and did another camp in the northern part of Indiana. This one had two practice fields.  Woodwinds (minus the saxes) went over the hill to the aux field to do music rehearsal as Brass and saxes worked on a drill block.  

The aux field was sort of interesting when we first found it cause it was on swampish land fill before the lake and if you jumped you could make the land 'wave' a bit.  

All of a sudden we see the woodwinds running over the hill full tilt screaming like it was some horror movie and we stop mid move and stare like "WTF? should we be alarmed?" 

Turns out they'd sat down on the aux field (cause clarinets and flutes could) to work on music runs and discovered....the aux field was crawling with wolf spiders.  

All season on the busses we were getting rubber spiders at the toy stores and hiding them around people's socks and uniforms and cases causing mild panic. 

Edited by KVG_DC
  • Like 1