What's the worst weather that you ever marched in?

6 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

Unfortunately, when they rangle a gator, they tell people they’re “relocating it”.  They don’t.  They just kill them.  I leave the wildlife alone and they don’t bother me.  I have a black racer in the backyard who is practically a pet.  He eats bugs and rodents and the nope ropes.  A good snake to have. 

I think unless they are deemed a danger and FWC issues a permit to euthanize, they are protected and must be relocated to an unpopulated area.  I spent a lot of time with our animal control folks at WDW moving those critters - Disney property is so large there were places on site where they would be placed with little chance they would migrate back.

Interesting creatures, opportunistic feeders - NEVER feed them, even once.

two more weather memories, different ends of the spectrum:

HS band at a Friday night football game one year and a Halloween parade the next, frozen instruments from the sub zero wind chill and heavy snow, couldn't play and I might be remembering some drum heads cracking from the cold.

July 4 parade, downtown Atlanta.  wearing heavy polyester uniforms with liners IMO designed more for northern fall weather, under plastic aussies, temp near 100 degrees made far worse inside the reflective highrise buildings.  lost a lot of people along the way, at least the liners were cut out shortly after that.

Not corps related but sisters last band competition was districts(?) at Westminster, MD. Had a snow squall in middle of their show (weather was clear all day except for that). They came in 2nd in their division. Overheard one band parent “wow they really turned it on for the last show”. My mom looked at me and saw I was doing 🙄. I was thinking that 3-5 minute snow squall and wet sheets really screwed up judging. (This was in the 80s and judges on the field)

Edited by JimF-LowBari

In an actual show?  87 DCA prelims -- which became finals due to VERY heavy rain and field damage.

In rehearsal?  03 Loomis -- where heat went to live...

05 Sacramento...truly the most miserable day...hot, humid, not fit for man nor beast.   And then soprano Arthur Hood broke the mood by stating loudly "####, it's hot!   And when a black man from Arizona says it's hot...."

15 hours ago, JohnZ said:

I think unless they are deemed a danger and FWC issues a permit to euthanize, they are protected and must be relocated to an unpopulated area.  I spent a lot of time with our animal control folks at WDW moving those critters - Disney property is so large there were places on site where they would be placed with little chance they would migrate back.

Interesting creatures, opportunistic feeders - NEVER feed them, even once.

I hope you’re right.  People here tell me don’t out where you see a gator. 

On 6/28/2022 at 5:14 PM, Terri Schehr said:

I think they had a whole DCA championship in a tropical storm in 2005. 

Lol...we did. And then that freakin' show down in St. Cloud it was 6.2 million degrees and THEN it rained on us during our run. 

That's weird actually. My most miserable times in both DCI and DCA involve the Orlando area lol

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

Lol...we did. And then that freakin' show down in St. Cloud it was 6.2 million degrees and THEN it rained on us during our run. 

That's weird actually. My most miserable times in both DCI and DCA involve the Orlando area lol

I didn’t go to any DCI championship in Orlando.  I live in gulf coastal Florida and it’s a tad cooler here than the middle of the state.   

• Like 1

On 6/28/2022 at 11:07 PM, KVG_DC said:

I'm gonna guess Flushing?  My sister was in band before me and did grand Nats in Tennessee. 

Yep.

1 hour ago, PeterGibbons said:

Yep.

Heh. Great band. 

• Like 1

Hottest I’ve experienced was the northeast tour in ‘99.  Felt way worse than every days in Orlando or even swamp tour.

That being said I did a half iron triathlon at Muncie in 2012.  Heat index was 110-115 F and water temp was 89-90 F…by the time you got there the run you were dumping ice in your shorts every aid station…that was miserable.