Winning at all costs

It’s clear this season a lot of the corps have placed an emphasis on points rather than connecting with the masses. While the performance level is amazing, the design is clearly pointing towards the sheets and not the overall fan experience (yes this can be argued, but seems to be a theme). The question I pose to all of you, if you had one choice and had to design a show that appealed to the judges, or to the fans, which would you choose? Is it more important to create a complicated show that performs well on the sheets, or design a show that has massive fan appeal? And yes, you can do both, but I’m not giving you that option. You have to chose one or the other. 

Ready, go!

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

I'll always go with the entertainment factor. 2021 was a blast. I understand perfectly the thinking behind going the other way, however. Winning = $$$. 

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Newseditor44 said:

Nope, not getting into a finger pointing game. That’s not the intention of this thread. Simple question…

You say it's an issue, start a thread complaining about it, but won't name one corps.  Got it.  Makes sense.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

This is Art. It is Subjective to the individual what someone might like or not.

The only way that the groups Get Credit is by programming certain recognizable "demands" into the show. So that when it comes time for Critique, they can Say My Brass line is showing X the same way or better than this group, Are we getting the appropriate credit?

For Me there is always going to be a trade off. IF this was simply an Art form there would be no Judging. 

BUT. Competition Drives Excellence. 

Would these groups push themselves as hard if there was only the reward of Performance at the End?

Last year was refreshing, No Judging. Just Personal preference, but is that sustainable? 

This is a Sport, because of the competition. The Need to Win.

It is the Idiom. 

• Like 3

I don’t understand the premise of the question.  This is a competitive activity, and last year was a one off. There are about 7 or 8 drum corps who want to win. There are another 7 or 8 for whom making the top 12 IS winning.  All these organizations are striving to achieve their goals, but it is important to know that "that which is rewarded is what is perpetuated ". For the record, the all time most successful corps director Dave Gibbs (BD) said years ago in an on camera interview,  "We are here to win. Period. " And their record to date shows it.

Edited by craiga
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, rmurrey74 said:

You say it's an issue, start a thread complaining about it, but won't name one corps.  Got it.  Makes sense.

I never complained, not once. I simply stated an opinion. That said, if you want specific examples, go back and read through last nights show threads. I believe it can be argued that there are clearly some corps that are plying specifically to the sheets, all I’m asking is if given one option, would you do one or the other. Not looking to flame any specific corps. If you’d like to play that game, RAMD is still online. 

• Haha 1