Winning at all costs

Entertainment > scores.  Just my opinion.

But when the two get together -- WOW!

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

As Al Davis said "Just Win Baby!"

Is there really a disconnect between what the fans want and the judging sheets.....?

I'm not so sure on that premise. 

What did Phantom present in 2021?  Cadets?  Cavaliers?  Bluecoats?  Boston?  

What did Phantom present in 2022?  Cadets?  Cavaliers?  Bluecoats?  Boston?

We literally have a case study of what judges' sheets do to show design.

Mike

People who get to a point where they don't like contemporary design choices have said this every year on DCP since I've been on it.  And before that they were saying it on RAMD.  If social media had been around before that, people would have been saying it then, too.  And people will continue saying it for a long time to come.  

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Newseditor44 said:

It’s clear this season a lot of the corps have placed an emphasis on points rather than connecting with the masses. While the performance level is amazing, the design is clearly pointing towards the sheets and not the overall fan experience (yes this can be argued, but seems to be a theme). The question I pose to all of you, if you had one choice and had to design a show that appealed to the judges, or to the fans, which would you choose? Is it more important to create a complicated show that performs well on the sheets, or design a show that has massive fan appeal? And yes, you can do both, but I’m not giving you that option. You have to chose one or the other. 

Ready, go!

Well it’s a scored competition , so the placements trump “ you have a very nice show there this season Academy “( or Music City or even Carolina Crown and Phantom , Cadets , Boston , etc.)   Blue Devils I’m pretty sure would not trade any of these 19 DCI Titles to be deemed “ the fan favorite “, and what do we suppose ( say Crown fans  or Boston fans for just one example  ) would say if they could trade in being deemed uber fan friendly for simply just another National title or two for themselves ?

Edited by Boss Anova
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, MikeN said:

What did Phantom present in 2021?  Cadets?  Cavaliers?  Bluecoats?  Boston?  

What did Phantom present in 2022?  Cadets?  Cavaliers?  Bluecoats?  Boston?

We literally have a case study of what judges' sheets do to show design.

Mike

I never saw any of those corps in 2021 or 2022 (yet).  You may be arguing a point I didn't make.  I understand corps can/do write their shows to the judging sheets.......why wouldn't they? 

I marched in the pre-DCI and DCI era, and since DAY ONE I've heard of the "gap" between "what the fans want" and judging sheets.  And from my experience and opinion the premise comes from the corps and their fans that don't win or place as high as they think they should have. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I don’t need any DCI judge to tell me what I like or don’t like . That is not in their domain . They do have the training , experience , and the knowledge capacity to tell me what is “ better “ and what is “ the best “ out there on the field however  , and I can acknowledge and respect that , as that clearly is in their domain , not mine . 

Edited by Boss Anova
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, greg_orangecounty said:

And from my experience and opinion the premise comes from the corps and their fans that don't win or place as high as they think they should have. 

Nailed it! 

Madison Scouts and their fanbase always comes to mind for me. Scouts fans in general say they are so glad and happy that their beloved Scouts don't give a crap about scores and placements, and they perform for the sheer entertainment of the fans. But then hours later when scores and placements are announced, the Scouts Show Thread goes DEFCON ONE, and their fanbase start flipping out about...........scores and placements lol. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

40 minutes ago, Boss Anova said:

I don’t need any DCI judge to tell me what I like or don’t like . That is not in their domain .  

But to a great extent they do and it is.

Perhaps not what you like or don't like.

But how it perceived, at least from a competitive standpoint.

Judges are human.

If a Judge likes classical music or a certain composer, he/she will have a different perspective of that type of show, then a Judge who likes jazz.

I also find it hard to believe a Judge can completely ignore feelings (positive or negative) for a corps they either marched in or instructed.

Just like in sports like skating and diving, there cannot be truly "objective" scoring in an activity like drum corps.

5 hours ago, Newseditor44 said:

It’s clear this season a lot of the corps have placed an emphasis on points rather than connecting with the masses.

It is?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2