Winning at all costs

On 6/29/2022 at 7:29 AM, Newseditor44 said:

It’s clear this season a lot of the corps have placed an emphasis on points rather than connecting with the masses. While the performance level is amazing, the design is clearly pointing towards the sheets and not the overall fan experience (yes this can be argued, but seems to be a theme). The question I pose to all of you, if you had one choice and had to design a show that appealed to the judges, or to the fans, which would you choose? Is it more important to create a complicated show that performs well on the sheets, or design a show that has massive fan appeal? And yes, you can do both, but I’m not giving you that option. You have to chose one or the other. 
o

Ready, go!

All this says to me is you hate BD's style and that they win so often.  They should play more popular music and cater to the fans.  Who cares about trying new things and pushing they envelope?  This is an old argument that IMHO is BS.  I like BD's show this year and it does have some popular tunes in it.  It also tells a story through theater, color, staging and so much more.  If it was up to the fans the Bridgeman, VK, and 27 would have won many titles.  You also will never get a fair fan vote when you hold Finals in the Midwest every year.  The one year Finals was in Pasadena and BD won the fans went crazy.  Do I think they had the best show that year?  Nope!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

On 7/1/2022 at 9:58 AM, Forevergreen said:

Sometimes a corps will hit both meaning entertaning and hit the score sheets.I know there are more but quick to mind for me: Cavaliers 04, Crown 13, SCV 18, Bloo 16, Cadets 11, BD 10, 14. 

I appreciate how you snuck one of the three most esoteric BD shows into that list.

• Like 1

Appears to me that the Open Class corps are a lot smaller. I’m wondering if this is a result of the increase to 165 members.

The nice thing about the old 128 limit was that there was a wider spread of talent across the activity. The increase of membership over the years has allowed talent to move up, putting a larger burden on the majority organizations in the activity for both talent and to reach maximum membership.

If woodwinds were allowed perhaps more organizations would reach maximum membership. In a way that would also force the higher tier corps to decrease the size of their brass lines to accommodate woodwinds and again a redistribution of brass members and talent. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

Appears to me that the Open Class corps are a lot smaller. I’m wondering if this is a result of the increase to 165 members.

The nice thing about the old 128 limit was that there was a wider spread of talent across the activity. The increase of membership over the years has allowed talent to move up, putting a larger burden on the majority organizations in the activity for both talent and to reach maximum membership.

If woodwinds were allowed perhaps more organizations would reach maximum membership. In a way that would also force the higher tier corps to decrease the size of their brass lines to accommodate woodwinds and again a redistribution of brass members and talent. 

Just wondering, are you an advocate for woodwinds in DCI? I’m an advocate for a sizable amount to where you can have soloists and small ensembles at least, aren’t many drum majors woodwinds anyways?🙃

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Vidal28Rdg said:

Just wondering, are you an advocate for woodwinds in DCI? I’m an advocate for a sizable amount to where you can have soloists and small ensembles at least, aren’t many drum majors woodwinds anyways?🙃

If it would create a redistribution of talent throughout the activity you bet. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

If it would create a redistribution of talent throughout the activity you bet. 

Welp, it would seem I have an ally. Woodwinds would absolutely enhance the product if you(some people)would think it through just a tad. More diverse instrument pairing/arrangement opportunities, the caliber of the musicians would be just as good as the brass, pit and battery that we have out there, WOODWIND PLAYERS LOVE DRUM CORPS AND ARE DYING TO BE A PART OF IT!!!! You’ll undoubtedly get excellent musicians to fill out what would probably be slim pickings in soloist/small ensemble roles

• Like 2

On 7/1/2022 at 8:14 AM, Triple Forte said:

I agree Jeff and there’s nothing wrong with evolving .  The problem here is the degree of evolution is washing away all of the core elements. 

An example for me would be Mics used to Amplify/alter all musical elements on the field. To me that is a drastic change to a core element i.e. sound

like adding melodic percussion or contras or timbalis, or tuned percussion like triples and basses doing more than quarter notes and stick twirls, adding that second valve...oh man then a 3rd valve...then oh man changing the key of the brass....

drum corps has been changing since day 2. and as i have said a zillion times, nothing will change until people stop going. 

On 7/1/2022 at 9:58 AM, Forevergreen said:

Sometimes a corps will hit both meaning entertaning and hit the score sheets.I know there are more but quick to mind for me: Cavaliers 04, Crown 13, SCV 18, Bloo 16, Cadets 11, BD 10, 14. 

well BD 14 anyway

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I argue that there are very few championship shows that are not very entertaining and aesthetically pleasing to a vast majority of the audience.

I find that this premise of judges OR fans arrises as a reaction to favorite shows (meaning favorite corps) not winning.  Back in the 90s it was the Madison Scouts fandom that drove the premise.  From those early message boards and conversations, you would have thought that the championship contenders were the biggest sell-outs in the history of the activity.  There was fierce debate. Today, folks talk about those contending shoes as the model for both excellence and entertainment.

Part of the equation that I think gets overlooked is that being excellent is a very stable recipe for entertainment.  The value of an excellent show rarely needs advocacy and argument.  Everybody in line of sight and earshot knows that it's good and they are entertained.  The judging criteria represents fandom more that we tend to recognize.

Edited by cfirwin3
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Poppycock said:

Oh Poppy.  The most unkindest cut of all.