Winning at all costs

I don't agree with your assertion.  As we get familiar with shows and as the season progresses and they clean, add layers and make the theme clearer, I feel this will be as entertaining a year as any other.

It's too early to say corps are writing for the sheets

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Terri Schehr said:

How dare you have an opinion! You must conform now! 

Somebody take me out back to the woodshed!!! LOL.

I think people get butt hurt and think I’m saying that either/or is a bad thing, and it’s not. Simply curious who would do what and why?

Edited by Newseditor44
  • Haha 1

I am Old School at heart and a huge proponent of entertaining and accessible shows, but the reality is drum corps is a competitive activity which has always been the case. I was introduced to drum corps by people who marched in the 50’s and 60’s who thought the 70’s and 80’s shows were too modern and not real drum corps, especially when two valve bugles were allowed. 

I want to be entertained, and last night I was entertained. Would I love to see 27th again as they were, absolutely. Do I miss the scrappy and tough Boston Crusaders? Yes.  If Cadets went back to Garfield and did a 1984 style show, would I be happy? Sure. It’s not going to happen. I also know in this day and age, with kids who march and are used to gadgets, electronics, blends of musical styles, etc., we will see very different shows. 

Bottom line: I love the competitive aspect so I would say please the judges, but I also believe it is possible to please both the judges and the audience. If I could have one wish, it’s that there would be a bit of a shake up from one night to the next regarding placement and scores. 

For me personally, I am about winning.

I could design a show that has the performers marching at 230 BPM for 11 straight minutes, with death defying break neck drill at Top Gun speeds, and end the show in a company front with the horn line pushing a volume that moves the stands off its foundation. And after all that, there will still be some that don't like it and complain.

So the way I see it, I could careless what someone thinks, as long as you are talking about my show positively or negatively, it's a reaction nonetheless and you are bringing relevancy to it. Any publicity is good publicity. 

Whether you cheer me or boo me, love me or hate me, in the end it won't change the way that Gold Trophy shines above my fireplace, or how that Championship Ring blings on my finger. 

Right or wrong, just keeping it real. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Sensioto said:

IMO, it's better to win over the fans and connect with the audience than to win the show. Like Dean Westman (Bluecoats) remarked at the Tour Premiere last night... if it does well competitively, great. But the goal is to create ~15 minutes of an escape that the mind can appreciate and wander and enjoy.

I wonder if he would have same sentiment if judges didn't like Bluecoats approach and placed them last?

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Newseditor44 said:

I never complained, not once. I simply stated an opinion. That said, if you want specific examples, go back and read through last nights show threads. I believe it can be argued that there are clearly some corps that are plying specifically to the sheets, all I’m asking is if given one option, would you do one or the other. Not looking to flame any specific corps. If you’d like to play that game, RAMD is still online. 

I'd guess that every corps out there is "playing to the sheets".  Some do it better than others.  BD probably does it best.

5 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

For me personally, I am about winning.

I could design a show that has the performers marching at 230 BPM for 11 straight minutes, with death defying break neck drill at Top Gun speeds, and end the show in a company front with the horn line pushing a volume that moves the stands off its foundation. And after all that, there will still be some that don't like it and complain.

So the way I see it, I could careless what someone thinks, as long as you are talking about my show positively or negatively, it's a reaction nonetheless and you are bringing relevancy to it. Any publicity is good publicity. 

Whether you cheer me or boo me, love me or hate me, in the end it won't change the way that Gold Trophy shines above my fireplace, or how that Championship Ring blings on my finger. 

Right or wrong, just keeping it real. 

Absolutely nothing wrong with that my friend! 

• Thanks 1