Winning at all costs

Just now, mingusmonk said:

It is?

Not to me.  ... Maybe Newseditor44 will name names?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Newseditor44 said:

It’s clear this season a lot of the corps have placed an emphasis on points rather than connecting with the masses.

I almost feel like this is a baiting premise. My reasoning? Crown has focused on audience engagement this season.  I guess I'm just being cynical and for that I apologize.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Liahona said:

I almost feel like this is a baiting premise. My reasoning? Crown has focused on audience engagement this season.  I guess I'm just being cynical and for that I apologize.

IMO the audience doesn’t need to be prompted to be engaged. It’s cheesy. The production and the performance is enough to engage the audience. If a corps can’t deliver expect pity claps!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

6 hours ago, Newseditor44 said:

It’s clear this season a lot of the corps have placed an emphasis on points rather than connecting with the masses. While the performance level is amazing, the design is clearly pointing towards the sheets and not the overall fan experience (yes this can be argued, but seems to be a theme). The question I pose to all of you, if you had one choice and had to design a show that appealed to the judges, or to the fans, which would you choose? Is it more important to create a complicated show that performs well on the sheets, or design a show that has massive fan appeal? And yes, you can do both, but I’m not giving you that option. You have to chose one or the other. 

Ready, go!

It all depends if your have the money (show design, props, equipment), staff (longevity, synergy), talent (depth and member pool). DCI is evolving at a rapid pace (WGI, BOA) and trends are ever changing. It's evolve or be left out. Show designs is major but execution of excellence is critical whether getting the judges or audience attention. My 2 cents!  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RetiredMusTeach said:

Clarification question:  Is there a place on the scoring sheets to give points for audience engagement?  Did they sit on their hands vs. jumping to their feet and cheering?

Well I will tell you this much, if there was, BD would max that caption out too.

ABBD crowd for years has moaned and complained that there should be a caption for audience engagement, as if to say if this caption existed, BD would no longer win cause their shows aren't fan friendly. 

But don't we accuse BD of playing to the sheets? So adding this caption to the SHEETS is going to stop BD in what way? They play to the SHEETS! Lol.

BD's staff will just max that caption out as well, and make us throw babies just as far as any other corps in the business. 

Sorry ABBD. An audience engagement caption won't stop my beloved Devils.

Back to the drawing the board. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, RetiredMusTeach said:

What does ABBD stand for?  Thanks.

Anyone But Blue Devils

What they forget is that BD adapts to rule changes VERY well...so keep moving those goalposts...we'll catch up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1