Winning at all costs

3 minutes ago, 84BDsop said:

Anyone But Blue Devils

What they forget is that BD adapts to rule changes VERY well...so keep moving those goalposts...we'll catch up.

Keep preaching brother!

BD is also the most popular drum corps in the world by far. Just because their fans aren’t as loud as other corps fans doesn’t mean they don’t have any. I have never seen a BD show where fans sit on their hands, even in the most eccentric years. The idea that BD is some weird, esoteric corps that no one likes or finds engaging is absurd. The ABBD crowd is a small fraction of drum corps fans, they just tend to be very vocal about it

• Like 4

1 hour ago, RetiredMusTeach said:

Clarification question:  Is there a place on the scoring sheets to give points for audience engagement?  Did they sit on their hands vs. jumping to their feet and cheering?

Nobody's actually answering your question. Sigh!

I think it was discussed years back about adding it to the sheets but I'm not sure about the outcome.

Anyone? Bueller? 

2 minutes ago, CrownBariDad said:

Nobody's actually answering your question. Sigh!

I think it was discussed years back about adding it to the sheets but I'm not sure about the outcome.

Anyone? Bueller? 

Jeff Ream. Please pick up the white courtesy phone. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

Jeff Ream. Please pick up the white courtesy phone. 

That’s racist! j/k

• Haha 3

Well, let’s look at last night. First corps on the field was Phantom. Everyone around me (including my un-drum corps-educated friends) loved them. So did I. The last corps was Bloo. Everyone around me (including a couple of three year Legends vets) loved them, though they thought Boston won because they thought they wrote to the sheets. Being a Bloo honk, I kept mum. We all know how that came out.

So PR and Bloo entertained, but Bloo had the talent and the foresight to write for the judges as well as the fans. If PR and Bloo had equal talent, Bloo still wins because of smart design.

I feel corps like BD and Bloo know the competitive game very well, and they also write for the fans. To paraphrase Mark Sylvester, “No one tries to write a boring show.” (My addition, “just to win.”) 

So like Mikey in the old Life cereal commercials, I choose both. I think it’s a false dichotomy to pick one over the other. 

• Like 4

Just now, Jurassic Lancer said:

Well, let’s look at last night. First corps on the field was Phantom. Everyone around me (including my un-drum corps-educated friends) loved them. So did I. The last corps was Bloo. Everyone around me (including a couple of three year Legends vets) loved them, though they thought Boston won because they thought they wrote to the sheets. Being a Bloo honk, I kept mum. We all know how that came out.

So PR and Bloo entertained, but Bloo had the talent and the foresight to write for the judges as well as the fans. If PR and Bloo had equal talent, Bloo still wins because of smart design.

I feel corps like BD and Bloo know the competitive game very well, and they also write for the fans. To paraphrase Mark Sylvester, “No one tries to write a boring show.” (My addition, “just to win.”) 

So like Mikey in the old Life cereal commercials, I choose both. I think it’s a false dichotomy to pick one over the other. 

Stole the words out of my mouth. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Big Bird said:

BD is also the most popular drum corps in the world by far. Just because their fans aren’t as loud as other corps fans doesn’t mean they don’t have any. I have never seen a BD show where fans sit on their hands, even in the most eccentric years. The idea that BD is some weird, esoteric corps that no one likes or finds engaging is absurd. The ABBD crowd is a small fraction of drum corps fans, they just tend to be very vocal about it

To put a finer point on it, there really is but one organization whose fan base consistently comes on here and completely eviscerates every other drum corps whom they believe might come between them and a gold medal.  You would literally never know from their posts that they've only won once, and that was with a design team that left years ago.  As far as BD is concerned, I view them as the gold standard in our activity because, well, they are.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Logan Dingus said:

I like several of the shows this season, Bloo especially, but this never-ending GE arms race has almost turned things on their head. All this effort going into props, electronics and costuming - trying to find something like Crown ‘13, Bloo ‘16, or SCV ‘18 had - just to catch BD

I think the basic point is this in my opinion there is a point where the artist pushes  things too far and I think this is what DCI has done it’s pushed these ideas way too far ….time to pullback

I honestly don’t think Corps are doing it to catch BD because Corps of been following  design trends forever. Actually a lot of the trends are coming in from other parts of the arts which is WGI  indoor Drumline marching band etc 

6 minutes ago, Triple Forte said:

I think the basic point is this in my opinion there is a point where the artist pushes  things too far and I think this is what DCI has done it’s pushed these ideas way too far ….time to pullback

I honestly don’t think Corps are doing it to catch BD because Corps of been following  design trends forever. Actually a lot of the trends are coming in from other parts of the arts which is WGI  indoor Drumline marching band etc 

Respectfully disagree. I say keep on pushing. The envelope just keeps on getting bigger, and I’m fine with that. 

• Like 5