DCI Central Indiana (Muncie) July 1

6 minutes ago, mcjordansc said:

I think the Blue Stars percussion are fine skills wise, but are poorly staged. They seem to always be behind the brass. I expect to see some visual changes by the Stars in attempt to fix that. 

They got about 2-3 points combined in music analysis and perc if they can get that marched to the brass and guard. I always appreciate the drill demand of Kevin Ford but maybe it's time to play the game and just do easier drill like others to clean it more. 

2 hours ago, queenanne_1536 said:

But the crowd should have to be taught how to respond. It should come naturally, and it's best to come naturally. I think this is going to be a problem for them all season. Aside from Night Beat, their appeals to clap are going to fall on deaf years. If I was at the show, I'd think, "awkward."

Couldn’t agree with this more. This is part of the reason why the concept of the app is so stupid. 

With that said, I disagree that it’s between the two blues. I think it’s between BD and Crown 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, queenanne_1536 said:

I don't understand how you can come to that conclusion. You're judging brass through a video that is delivered over WiFi through FloMarching that sometimes has sound issues of its own. You really can't do that. You're not down on the field. You're not listening to the individual performances. You're not in the stadium. I was in the brassline of a corps that won DCI Finals and I don't feel qualified to judge brass. How does anyone on here feel they are qualified?

I will admit that spread surprised me as well, but I'm not qualified to judge brass.

On GE - there's so much more to it than just entertainment value. 

You're literally judging a show "through a video that is delivered over WiFi through FloMarching that sometimes has issues of its own" as well. Sorry, but you can't jump someone for something when you're doing the same exact thing. Pot meet kettle.

Also, the same people that are saying Bloo has a better design are the same people that said the exact same thing in 2017 when Crown was 3rd and Bloo sat out on medaling. This crown show will medal. It's in contention to win, like it or not. I knew people would try to tear it apart with them having not been at the Tour Premiere per usual, and the hype that was seen in the Crown thread. 

As for the app, every piece of technology has it's bugs that need to be fixed. When Bloo came out in 2014 they had electronic issues half the season, and did every year until 2018. Give Crown time to sort the app out. As for phone ringers going off, people need to realize you need to turn the media volume up on their phones, not the ringer volume. That's a personal error. People also need to realize, like I've said before, that their cheap *** government phones aren't going to run the app correctly and sit it out. Experience it from their neighbors phone. 

Rant over.

Last time I'm touching these subjects this season. I'm just gonna start hitting the ignore button when people want to sound like a broken record.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, BlueStainGlass said:

They got about 2-3 points combined in music analysis and perc if they can get that marched to the brass and guard. I always appreciate the drill demand of Kevin Ford but maybe it's time to play the game and just do easier drill like others to clean it more. 

I'm not sure the drill is their problem. Their lot videos and Vic Firth learn the music standstill videos are a bit behind in quality of the other groups. Maybe they are a young group. I'm sure it is cleanable and the music itself is pretty cool. Execution even standing still is lacking.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CAtenhut said:

YUP... They should've beaten Cavies by more. Only 0.7 ahead in GE and 0.3 in brass are low. Cavies brass was dirtier tonight than on Tues and should not have been that close. It's just my opinion... Like everyone else here. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Crowns brass book is very exposed. No place to hide errors. It’s how they play the game.  Not worried about that spread at all.   

5 hours ago, ContraFart said:

Blue Devils is drum corps by formula. Sparkly sleeves? Check, Shimmy from side to side? Check. Run to restage? check. BD is good, but nowhere near the innovation of Bloo and Crown. This will be the year they finish 3rd. 

I spoke to Scott Chandler for a few minutes last night after their practice in Camarillo.  They still have a lot to add to the show and a lot of guard equipment work isn't in yet.  They were teaching new equipment work like crazy during ensemble.  They have added a bunch of visual tweaks this week. The big company front wheel is a lot cleaner now.  They are starting to work on putting a new prop in that's carried by the guard.  It's really bizarre.  i'm still not sure what it is.   I won't say more,  i'll let them introduce it.   Like usual.  I wouldn't count BD out.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, 27Socal said:

I spoke to Scott Chandler for a few minutes last night after their practice in Camarillo.  They still have a lot to add to the show and a lot of guard equipment work isn't in yet.  They were teaching new equipment work like crazy during ensemble.  They have added a bunch of visual tweaks this week. The big company front wheel is a lot cleaner now.  They are starting to work on putting a new prop in that's carried by the guard.  It's really bizarre.  i'm still not sure what it is.   I won't say more,  i'll let them introduce it.   Like usual.  I wouldn't count BD out.

Looking forward to tonight's show in Tempe, AZ.  ... the visual tweaks [Hope I can notice them]... I'll be watching for the big company front this evening  ... Scott Chandler is a creative genius ... He has long range goals: What he envisions the show to be in Indy ... Immediate goals: Tweaking & layering things ...    the "new prop" has stirred my curiosity ...

So far ... it's turning out to be an "excellent" season for Drum Corps fans.   Each Corps is bringing something different to the table.  To everyone involved ... your efforts are very much appreciated ... "Thank you."

• Like 2

7 hours ago, crownisking said:

I’m going to admit my bias here. It just didn’t quite sit with me right that THIS was the show to break a record. Of all the BA shows that I’ve loved so much, this one did nothing for me and the judges obviously disagreed. I dunno. Maybe I’m in the minority but the theme still doesn’t connect for me. 

Not taking anything away from the kids. My gripe is with the design. 

Honestly I’ve already forgotten what BA did last year…been a fan ever since the Aqua show in 2006.  2021…sure that was a great performance but absolutely nothing memorable to me.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, George Dixon said:

LOL Boston isn't touching Crown - BD forgot to design a program and since Broadway was shut down for 18 months they couldn't "lift" their biggest set piece again ala shoe tapping. It's Coats vs. Crown and BD vs. SCV and Boston vs. Cavaliers at this point IMO. Thank God DCI is back so we all have something to argue about err discuss

It's so early. Maybe you will be right Georgey! But it is not about us; it is about the judges. Going to be a tough road for Crownies to medal. I would not count those naughty little Devils out. They will steal your soul and break your heart on finals night. SCV is not standing around waiting to be passed either. SCV and Bloo will be in the way of both BAC and the Crownies. Devs, Bloo, BAC, SCV, and Crownies have by and far separated themselves, and there is lots to like from each.

IMO DCI should add woodwinds and just be done with it. The BOA/DCI consummation will finally be completed. I'm riding with the corps with 19 Championships looking for #20 in DCI's anniversary season thank you. Time will tell who the 2022 winner is.

Edited by Poppycock
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, saxfreq1128 said:

There’s no way you think BD is more Broadway than crown this year……… I like Crown’s show a lot but the last time I saw someone try that hard to warm up a crowd was when I had tickets to Letterman. 

Yep! Crown did exactly that with their "Rach Star" show. I'll add, that show was a bit more Halftime than Broadway. :laugh::thumbup: