DCI Central Indiana (Muncie) July 1

10 hours ago, Tony Flores said:

Just curious, did Blue Stars recycle props from several years ago

I'm pretty sure they did. Those were definitely the Himalaya carnival ride sleds from '19 and I'm sure those tables were from the construction worker show. 
They have too much stuff on the field. It just seems like props for the sake of props in attempt to get GE points. Sometimes the Blue Stars don't go back and hit the edit button when designing shows and this ends up being the result. It's too much clutter...even with the way they maximize the entire field. 
Someone also mentioned that it might be time for the corps to go a different route than Kevin Ford. I disagree. Kevin has written awesome drill for the corps and I wish to see him continue. The issue is the amount of props on the field, their purpose, and cohesion within the entirety of the production. 
The more I see this show, the more I get the impression that it seems like they really didn't have any great ideas for this season and this was the result. I'm sure it was probably a recycled winter guard show redesigned for a drum corps; but this is giving me 2012 vibes.
2019 and last year were amazing years for the Blue Stars and I really expected more and something that could compete for, at least, 7th place. This will, probably, end up being one of those seasons where I should just be satisfied with them being in the Top 12. 

6 hours ago, Incognito365 said:

You're literally judging a show "through a video that is delivered over WiFi through FloMarching that sometimes has issues of its own" as well. Sorry, but you can't jump someone for something when you're doing the same exact thing. Pot meet kettle.

Also, the same people that are saying Bloo has a better design are the same people that said the exact same thing in 2017 when Crown was 3rd and Bloo sat out on medaling. This crown show will medal. It's in contention to win, like it or not. I knew people would try to tear it apart with them having not been at the Tour Premiere per usual, and the hype that was seen in the Crown thread. 

As for the app, every piece of technology has it's bugs that need to be fixed. When Bloo came out in 2014 they had electronic issues half the season, and did every year until 2018. Give Crown time to sort the app out. As for phone ringers going off, people need to realize you need to turn the media volume up on their phones, not the ringer volume. That's a personal error. People also need to realize, like I've said before, that their cheap *** government phones aren't going to run the app correctly and sit it out. Experience it from their neighbors phone. 

Rant over.

Last time I'm touching these subjects this season. I'm just gonna start hitting the ignore button when people want to sound like a broken record.

It may be personal error, but it’s still a situation of Crown’s creation. 

I think of this similar to any customer experience a company is trying to provide. Take fast charging on smartphones, for example. Sure, someone paying 1k for a phone SHOULDNT be using a $1 charger from China. But when the customer comes back from face burns after charging their phone under their pillow with that charger, the company is still going to take heat for not putting in the safeguards to prevent the situation from happening (Remember the Samsung Galaxy Note saga where they were banned from planes by the FAA?) 

if you want to press ignore on me, feel free, but people are going to criticize a “feature” that doesn’t work properly if Crown is advertising it as a part of their show (which they are) 

And by the way, it is on CROWN not the customer to decide whether the app is compatible on someone’s “cheap government phone” or not. This is standard business practice in the world of software development. The one creating the software limits who the app is available to by testing the app on numerous devices, judging the performance of the app on those devices, and then deciding whether they will support that phone or not

You, my friend, are gaslighting the paying audience member. 

Edited by Cappybara
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, Incognito365 said:

You're literally judging a show "through a video that is delivered over WiFi through FloMarching that sometimes has issues of its own" as well. Sorry, but you can't jump someone for something when you're doing the same exact thing. Pot meet kettle.

Also, the same people that are saying Bloo has a better design are the same people that said the exact same thing in 2017 when Crown was 3rd and Bloo sat out on medaling. This crown show will medal. It's in contention to win, like it or not. I knew people would try to tear it apart with them having not been at the Tour Premiere per usual, and the hype that was seen in the Crown thread. 

As for the app, every piece of technology has it's bugs that need to be fixed. When Bloo came out in 2014 they had electronic issues half the season, and did every year until 2018. Give Crown time to sort the app out. As for phone ringers going off, people need to realize you need to turn the media volume up on their phones, not the ringer volume. That's a personal error. People also need to realize, like I've said before, that their cheap *** government phones aren't going to run the app correctly and sit it out. Experience it from their neighbors phone. 

Rant over.

Last time I'm touching these subjects this season. I'm just gonna start hitting the ignore button when people want to sound like a broken record.

I have an iPhone 8.  I wonder if it’s too old to run the app?  I like the phone and I’m not getting rid of it until it ##### the bed.  I downloaded the app, though. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, crownisking said:

As others have stated, we’ll learn a lot tomorrow when Bloo and Crown go head to head. Not to say that spreads are the end all be all this early, they aren’t always. But we will get a much better read on where Crown and Bloo stand against each other. 

I now believe that an ordinal number might be in the future. Putting organizations tenth’s of a point ahead and/or behind one another is not adjudication it’s slotting. No one can determine or define the differences.  Use to believe that spreads and placement was all that matters and scores are meaningless. I’ve changed my mind. Placement  is the only thing that matters, and that’s only relative with respect to the participants. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, George Dixon said:

Letterman isn't Broadway, and fortunately he retired. BD's shoe thing was directly lifted from the stage - 3 out of last 5 programs they've lifted the big moment of their show from Broadway. And yes, the warm up is cheesy - deliberately so as the point of the show coming out of Covid IS HAVE FUN NOW, go ahead, act like a goof, swing from a Chandelier 

Ooh naughty George injecting a little politics into DCP 😉 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, Super Don-O said:

Now if you'd like to have a logical explanation
How I happened on this elegant syncopation
I will say without a moment of hesitation
There is just one place
That can light my face
Gary, Indiana
Gary Indiana
Not Louisiana, Paris, France, New York, or Rome, but
Gary, Indiana
Gary, Indiana
Gary Indiana
My home sweet home

BTW -- Thanks for the ear worm! Grrrrr!

• Haha 3

I personally think Crown is way too talented and performing at too high of a level across all captions with a high level of difficulty for them to place any lower than 3rd. But I think even 3rd is less likely than 2nd. I still don’t think Crown is going to catch BD, but that’s just the BD honk in me. I also don’t really see what other people are seeing in this bluecoats show that screams “championship caliber,” but that also may be because Bloo’s most recent run of shows starting in 2018 just have not been my cup of tea 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, gbass598 said:

I'm not sure the drill is their problem. Their lot videos and Vic Firth learn the music standstill videos are a bit behind in quality of the other groups. Maybe they are a young group. I'm sure it is cleanable and the music itself is pretty cool. Execution even standing still is lacking.

I didn't even see the vic videos get posted 😮

1 hour ago, corps8294 said:

I'm pretty sure they did. Those were definitely the Himalaya carnival ride sleds from '19 and I'm sure those tables were from the construction worker show. 
They have too much stuff on the field. It just seems like props for the sake of props in attempt to get GE points. Sometimes the Blue Stars don't go back and hit the edit button when designing shows and this ends up being the result. It's too much clutter...even with the way they maximize the entire field. 
Someone also mentioned that it might be time for the corps to go a different route than Kevin Ford. I disagree. Kevin has written awesome drill for the corps and I wish to see him continue. The issue is the amount of props on the field, their purpose, and cohesion within the entirety of the production. 
The more I see this show, the more I get the impression that it seems like they really didn't have any great ideas for this season and this was the result. I'm sure it was probably a recycled winter guard show redesigned for a drum corps; but this is giving me 2012 vibes.
2019 and last year were amazing years for the Blue Stars and I really expected more and something that could compete for, at least, 7th place. This will, probably, end up being one of those seasons where I should just be satisfied with them being in the Top 12. 

Its not go away from Kevin it's tone down Kevin some. I think the drill is fun to watch because it's drill but if they can't clean it you can't move up. It's phantom 2010 trying to clean Rosanders monster of a drill package. Vanguard trying to clean Weber drill at one step intervals. It's what I hate in the activity that difficulty that is dirty doesn't get rewarded against clean and simple. 

• Like 1