July 2nd - Innovations in Brass: Northeast Ohio ... Kent, Ohio

1 hour ago, saxfreq1128 said:

With the way this conversation is going I really thought the spread would be something decisive. They’re exaggerating, your honor.

.4 difference on the first weekend in July? If that’s a slam dunk, I’m Madonna. 

I see that spread opening up.  I don't think the Bluecoats are going to swap places with Crown all season... I wouldn't put money on it, but I think the signs are there not only across the captions, but also in the designs.

These more general themes (like Crown's) and less narrative shows tend to do better in the long run for GE.  This, plus the competitive (if not dominant) writing and execution among the sections for Crown is likely to continue slotting to the top or a tight second with BD in the mix.

We may see fewer corps holding the captions as well, which isn't good for a drumcorps like the Bluecoats that put their focus on GE design.

In light of BD and Crown, I think Bloo's show is screaming 'fun times in 3rd place'.  The show that everyone wants to see before watching the championship program at the end of the night.

Edited by cfirwin3
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Cappybara said:

I personally loved that new ending. A much more thoughtful and empathetic ending to the show. It was truly a beautiful gesture and message by Crown. If only more people were on board with it 

The Hallelujah would’ve felt so out of place in that whole narrative if you stuck with original ending, the new ending has become the default for me over the years, and while some may feel the musical impact was cheapened in the end without the *GUNSHOT*OPENER REPRISE*, the message of the show itself is much more profound than *REVENGE GO BRRR*

2 hours ago, saxfreq1128 said:

With the way this conversation is going I really thought the spread would be something decisive. They’re exaggerating, your honor.

.4 difference on the first weekend in July? If that’s a slam dunk, I’m Madonna. 

You made it through the wilderness…

3 hours ago, Cappybara said:

I personally loved that new ending. A much more thoughtful and empathetic ending to the show. It was truly a beautiful gesture and message by Crown. If only more people were on board with it 

I understand why it was changed, but I just preferred the balls to the walls ending. It felt more like a western to me. That's not to say that the newer ending was horrible, as I loved the Hallelujah reprise, I just prefered the old ending better. Still doesn't change my mind that the design suffered from the change. 

4 hours ago, Incognito365 said:

Although some corps change their ending and lose a few points in GE...Relentlessly...

I don't recall that they lost anything by flipping the script on the narrative.  I think the disappointment lies with the fans that felt that doing such a thing would improve their standing, but that was never going to happen.  It takes an awful lot to move the needle a little with respect to program changes... and apart from planned changes (like ending drill sequences) significant 'enhancement' alterations often fail epically, just ask the Cadets.

A good beginning design, and then slow and steady wins the race.  Without that dominating introductory design, playing catch-up is usually painful and frequently futile.

It's a better strategy to just work on your show and max out its potential... and have fun despite the score and placement.

Edited by cfirwin3

50 minutes ago, Incognito365 said:

I understand why it was changed, but I just preferred the balls to the walls ending. It felt more like a western to me. That's not to say that the newer ending was horrible, as I loved the Hallelujah reprise, I just prefered the old ending better. Still doesn't change my mind that the design suffered from the change. 

I prefer the ‘Hallelujah’ reprise to the ‘Medea’ reprise ending as a whole when I listen back, even though if I were in the crowd the Medea one hits a bit harder. I only saw the original in July that year so I don’t know how people took the new ending in person looking back in finals week haha

8 hours ago, Cappybara said:

I’ve watched the Bloo show multiple times now and can’t really get into it. I’m divided on Crown, the terrible voiceovers really remind me of those annoying mid to late 2000s Cadets shows but their music book is otherwise incredible and highly entertaining 

Your reference to those awful on the nose cadets shows…I made the exact same reference last night.

I truly don’t get the GE scores for Crown.

Edited by MikeRapp
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

Your reference to those awful on the nose cadets shows…I made the exact same reference last night.

I truly don’t get the GE scores for Crown.

Yeah if you told me the Crown show was designed by Hop himself, I would believe you. Fast drill, difficult music, terrible voiceovers, all wrapped up in a show concept with the depth of a puddle and the subtlety of a sledgehammer. But again, because the guard and brass are excellent, people will still enjoy the show. As of now, the voiceovers are making the show difficult for me to come back to 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Cappybara said:

Yeah if you told me the Crown show was designed by Hop himself, I would believe you. Fast drill, difficult music, terrible voiceovers, all wrapped up in a show concept with the depth of a puddle and the subtlety of a sledgehammer. But again, because the guard and brass are excellent, people will still enjoy the show. As of now, the voiceovers are making the show difficult for me to come back to 

I get that their brass book is very challenging. But that’s brass, not GE. Right here right now? Uh okay. Whatev.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

I get that their brass book is very challenging. But that’s brass, not GE. Right here right now? Uh okay. Whatev.

in fairness to Crown, I don’t find Bloo’s narration much better. There are many moments in that show where the brass feels like an accompaniment to the dude talking about his acid trip. The voice acting is significantly better and less annoying, but it’s too heavy handed and takes up a lot of show time. And both Crown and Bloo are playing some very technical music so there aren’t as many melodic moments to be rewarded with after suffering through the voiceovers in both shows 

• Like 2