July 2nd - Drums Across the Desert ... Tempe, Arizona

Rough run tonight for the devils tonight, but everyone is bound to have one at some point this season. Still easily a top three show so far

• Like 3

1 minute ago, ContraFart said:

So does Bluecoats, SCV, Crown and Boston. And they all have better design. 

I didn't see anyone say there was only one good thing about Bluecoats, SCV, Crown, and Boston, did you?

Edited by jasgre2000
  • Like 3

Holy moly they changed that show A LOT. Totally rewrote moon river. Modifications to the drum break. Slowly starting to get trumpets into the higher register for Tank! And some changes to the closer as well. 

not surprised they had a bit of a rough run. They’re asking quite a bit of their trumpet line to be playing Tank! in its original register, I hope they’re up to the challenge 

• Like 8

I will say, after seeing everyone at the top now, BD’s guard is easily top 2 if not capable of winning it outright. They are cleaner than Boston at this point and have some more complexity to their book now then they did a week ago.

• Like 8

A little rough on the edges tonight.  Good changes thrown in. The heat is so oppressive I am sure it is leading to horn issues.  It seems like there is no air moving in this stadium tonight and is just stuffy.  Every fold in your skin is sweating.  Very uncomfortable.  

• Thanks 2

I think the heat caused some issues with pretty much everything. Still an incredible show. I like that they fixed the ending of Moon River. Now don't over do it with the solo trumpet and trombone throughout. The Big Hit in Moon River does not need it. Save the solos for the intro and the end. Trombone solo would be more effective in a true Tommy Dorsey style and not so much hard glissando and the overbearing edge. The trumpet does not need to do the octave work when the brass hit the climax. 

So that was a rough run for them, but I can tell they are changing a lot of things. The changes I did notice all seem to work. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

BD is very beatable this year - doesn’t happen often of course 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Despite the obvious rough exposed moments, the high register moments in the ballad and elsewhere when they’re not chipped really do help with making those moments sparkle musically. Even with the rough run i feel it’s a much improved musical package than even a week ago

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Triple Forte said:

A very very off night for BD if this was a major regional they would probably finish fourth at best…

BD fourth at best..............I think you mistaken this thread for the annual predictions thread. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6