July 2nd - Drums Across the Desert ... Tempe, Arizona

3 minutes ago, kinetic inferno11 said:

I am delighted to see that there are a lot of groups making guard interesting and that it will be a lot harder to have a 6 or 7 year run of winning the caption, but to think that BD who has been top 2 in guard every year since 2007 suddenly won’t be this year is betting against history. Crown guard is reminding me of the Bluecoats guard in 2018. They were crisp and spotless, however demand is what held them back from breaking into the top 2 of BD and Boston. I certainly love Crown’s Sabre work with the streamers attached to them, it’s a wonderful effect. I just don’t see them approaching the complexity of BD and Boston… this year at least. But hey, crazier things have happened. At San Antonio a couple years ago Phantom was 4th in guard and like a week later they were back to 8th or 9th. I am just excited to see how this season plays out! Definitely going to get interesting

DIng, Ding, Ding!!!!! Someone gets it! 

• Like 2

It’s my understanding that the plan was for SCV to have the closer in tonight, but that weather kept them off the field for some of the planned blocks this week in Flagstaff, and it’s not quite ready. They’re hoping for next show, or at least next week. Way cool drum break, though!!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, TigerBaritone19 said:

This is my first real viewing of SCV and it's just not grabbing my attention. I want to like it, but I am finding it difficult

A lot of people said the same thing with Star of Indiana in 1993.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, gbass598 said:

Academy should change their name to Magic of Tempe.

We don’t want to kids to starve. 

• Like 2

Blue Devils 75.45

SCV 74.05

Blue Knights 66.7

The Academy 63.5

Pacific Crest 59.9

23 minutes ago, Box5Opinion said:

I was in Pasadena, San Bernardino too, you might want to revisit those youtube videos after tonight's show.  BD has one of the weakest rifle lines in recent memory, flags are doing extremely well, dance and body movement is improving but no amount of sequin, shades of blue color, ripple effects will be able to hide that they are struggling, this is new territory for them, maybe they will clean, enhance and produce one of the greatest performances in August but as of July 2? No!  

BD’s guard has been a slow grower for a number of seasons now, IMO, probably since 2015 for me. So other guards looking more together as of July 2 sounds about right and doesn’t worry really me. The rifle line for Metamorph struggled for much of the season too. The technique takes them a second. They’ll get there. TJ’s gonna kick some butt. 

BAC of late has tended to look better by now, though — but I’m not worried about them either. Crown and Bloo look right on track. I think Bloo has underrated for a few seasons now, and I’m hoping they, in particular, get their due soon.

I fear SCV is falling into the CrownGuard 2019 trap: tons of talent, a fairly clean book, but a design that just doesn’t know how to show them off at all, which is a shame. 

• Like 5