July 3rd - "Cavalcade of Brass" ... Benedictine University - Lisle, Illinois

Music City has a nice show.

Highlights: marching cymbal line (!!!), a trombone ensemble, long blue fabric (waves?), and Morse code flags 

Needs work: communicating the show theme, flags that blend too much with guard outfits, highlighting the soloists visually

Edited by Xmen89
  • Thanks 4

1 minute ago, Xmen89 said:

Music City has a nice show.

Highlights: marching cymbal line (!!!), a trombone ensemble, long blue fabric (waves?), and Morse code flags 

Needs work: communicating the show theme, flags that blend too much with guard outfits, highlighting the soloists visually

Thanks for taking the time to post your review.  Much appreciated!

• Like 1

Colts gave a great performance. The crowd loved it. 

Highlights: great show theme comes across well and integrates visuals and music, outstanding soloists, another marching cymbal line (!!!!!). This will be a show I listen to long after August.

Needs work: I don't feel like the color palette puts us on the Silk Road as much as on Santa Monica beach, and the two piles of luggage feel anachronistic. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Crossmen had the crowd responding in the middle segments tonight.

Highlights: vibrant guard outfits and flag designs, the soloist and guard rings (can it be cleaned, though?)

Probs: the front ensemble was WAAAAY too loud and drowned out the horn line, some segments just elicit no crowd response.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Xmen89 said:

Highlights: vibrant guard outfits and flag designs, the soloist and guard rings (can it be cleaned, though?)

Probs: the front ensemble was WAAAAY too loud and drowned out the horn line, some segments just elicit no crowd response.

is the show starting in the same spot as Detroit or have they figured out the new starting spot each night?

4 minutes ago, Xmen89 said:

This experiment in having the show intermix its four parts into a different order each competition is interesting, but I wonder about its GE value.  They have to make sure each of the parts has a highlight moment and I'm not sure they all do.  Don't modern judges expect shows to have a natural progression or storyline?

Also, it must put some pressure on the members to remember the order of each show.  I remember getting into a rhythm and flow.