Old Fart in the Room...

I'll be the old fart in the room and complain about DCI's and the activities direction. I remember in a land far, far away, when band members had aspiration of making it to the big leagues (DCI).  Just being a part of any corp. was an honor and an earned privilege.  Many bands would try to replicate our shows but nowadays it seems DCI has gone in the other direction and is now replicating what we see in the better high school bands. Seems to me like there are so many gimmicky items being used, bass guitars ect. That its really a turn off to me.

Every now and then a corp will do something that is innovative and not gimmicky. The first that comes to mind are the 2016 Bluecoats and the use of the slides.

Just my grumpy old opinion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Well the better high school bands in the country are using the same designers and instructors we see in drum corps so that’s gonna happen.  I’d say they more take what they do in drum corps and adapt it for the HS world.  Same with WGI. Tons of overlap in designers. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Just now, BlueStainGlass said:

Some designers test things with high schools before doing with corps.  A Michigan group did the zone show the year before the cadets.

I remember the BOA Grand National Class A winner in 2015 used a lot of the same source music that the Bluecoats used the following season for their championship-winning program.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Phantombari1 said:

I remember in a land far, far away, when band members had aspiration of making it to the big leagues (DCI).  Just being a part of any corp. was an honor and an earned privilege. 

Not really sure what you're getting at here - marching a drum corps is still a huge aspiration for the vast majority of band members, and it is as much of an honor and privilege to march today as it was 20-30 years ago. In any case...

I took about 30 students and parents of mine to the show in Muncie - many of them had never had experience with marching band at all. The sheer joy and excitement they got from experiencing DCI for the first time is one of my favorite parts of being a teacher. Getting to share that with newbies every year is really special. 

You're totally entitled to your opinion, of course. But what seems gimmicky to you is mind-blowing to someone else. For every thing you don't like, that thing opens new doors of possibility and wonder to aspiring band students everywhere, bending the idea of marching band into forms they didn't think were possible. 

Not sure if this post was meant to just vent or to start actual discussion, but just wanted to share my (albeit possibly meaningless) two cents as someone who works with the young band students of today.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Phantombari1 said:

I'll be the old fart in the room and complain about DCI's and the activities direction. I remember in a land far, far away, when band members had aspiration of making it to the big leagues (DCI).  Just being a part of any corp. was an honor and an earned privilege.  Many bands would try to replicate our shows but nowadays it seems DCI has gone in the other direction and is now replicating what we see in the better high school bands. Seems to me like there are so many gimmicky items being used, bass guitars ect. That its really a turn off to me.

Every now and then a corp will do something that is innovative and not gimmicky. The first that comes to mind are the 2016 Bluecoats and the use of the slides.

If a bass guitar is a gimmick so is a  contra/marching tuba. 

1 hour ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

I remember the BOA Grand National Class A winner in 2015 used a lot of the same source music that the Bluecoats used the following season for their championship-winning program.

Ah, yes. That would be Adair County. They were our rival during my high school days. Fun times. 

• Like 1

Things change.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Phantombari1 said:

This is a very unique and original insight thanks

• Like 1
  • Haha 1