Abuse in Drum Corps

Pardon me if this has already been something discussed during the offseason as I was not present at the time. There is a post circulating on social media from a former LGBTQ colorguard member at Phantom Regiment detailing their experiences of abuse in the corps during the 2021 season. It is a sad read. 

Here are the links: Link 1, Link 2

Especially after everything that has happened at the Cadets, SCV, Spirit of Atlanta, and I'm sure plenty of other corps, you would think the corps and DCI would take whistleblowers and abusers more seriously

Edited by Cappybara
Correcting proper way to address the subject
  • Sad 3

elements of the Phantom story were discussed, but it appears more has come out

• Haha 2

Is any of the alleged abuse physical?   Or is this an account of verbally induced anxiety?

Edited by ykw

I understand slip ups of a dead bane when you first find out but to threaten it is unthinkable. Last winter I had 1 student that I've taught for 6 years change abd two new members that told us after auditions that they wanted to go by something else. Just do it. It makes them happy and feel accepted. If you have a problem with it then you shouldn't be teaching. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Musicman1084 said:

I could be wrong, but isn't this the second time that someone in those details has been implicated for similar abuse? 

This is the same article that was discussed last year on these forums.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, ykw said:

Is any of the alleged abuse physical?   Or is this an account of verbally induced anxiety?

I imagine that, according to them, the flippant, manipulative, and disrespectful attitudes and verbal lashing coming from top guard staff and the CORPS DIRECTOR(!!!) would be just as harmful to the individual’s state of mind as physical abuse. Of course I’m not here to say either is more impactful than the other, you feel powerless in both situations, especially with the power dynamics being presented in this person’s situation that they were put through. 
Calling it simply “Verbally induced anxiety” really reduces what the person had to go through

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Summer after high school graduation in 1970s I worked trumpets for three Indiana high school bands. Attended three band camps in late July and early August. (If anyone is interested: Winchester, Anderson, and Edgewood high schools.)

I remember it being so super cool for me to be on the other side of the marching band, teaching and drilling students when I was just recently taught and drilled. There was definitely a sense of power. Again, I felt cool, part of the staff, eating with the staff, doing staff meetings. Then getting in front of students and feeling a bit of a big shot at 18 years old. Don't believe I was a jerk at all. I wanted to impress that I could genuinely help the trumpet section.

But I get how some young (and old) staff members must feel after putting in good time and effort as MMs themselves. There's a power trip involved. And that can lead to excess and really sh**y behavior.

As a BTW, Anderson did great at fall competitions, and while I was a freshman at IU, I received a bonus check from the band director. Maybe $25 or $50. That was a HUGE amount of expected cash flow back then.

• Like 1