Abuse in Drum Corps

4 minutes ago, Hook'emCavies said:

Ya know, when it was my 4th year in college I was not in a great place... mentally. I was kind of a loner and didn't feel like I fit in at SHSU at the time. So I usually stayed in the dungeon aka the practice rooms. I mean, I practiced A LOT and worked very hard. But I felt paralyzed... like I struggled going to class because I panicked. I did go to my music classes of course, but rumor went around campus that I was lazy. Anyways, I was in the Wind Ensemble and we were preparing to perform at TMEA, and of course we were going on tour. We performed and when we returned my string methods instructor just went after me. She said and I quote "hi Michael, so glad you can join us today"..... yeah, and then she graded me HARSHLY. I would practice for hours and worked with some other string players. And she just failed.... she didn't help me at all.... I ended up dropping her class and to my knowledge she is still teaching at SHSU. When the time comes for me to take string methods I plan to opt out and take lessons. I'll have to deal with Jury's... but I know where I stand there. Heck, she could have changed and is just fine now. This happened almost 10 years ago.

My point is, well, sadly it's everywhere you go. Some people will just put you down because they can. However, I'm using as fuel now. 🙂

Everyone who has marched has been yelled at with something like 'ILC - you are hitting your mark half a count late!  Get your act together!' It is just part of the activity.  That said, there is also a line that can be crossed.  

7 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Everyone who has marched has been yelled at with something like 'ILC - you are hitting your mark half a count late!  Get your act together!' It is just part of the activity.  That said, there is also a line that can be crossed.  

Oooh yeah for sure! There are certain things you just don't do. No if ands or buts. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hook'emCavies said:

Oooh yeah for sure! There are certain things you just don't do. No if ands or buts. 

Especially when the members pay $5k to march in a specific ensemble for a specific reason.  I remember all sorts of colorful language over 20 years ago (I paid $750 to march drum corps).  I could NOT imagine paying $5k and encountering instructors who can't be professional at a World Class drum corps.  I don't care how "annoying" the members get, or how many times their hand is wrong on count 12.  Making things traumatic for students is NOT how it should be done.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, NewToPosting said:

I could be wrong, but we're not talking about recent age-outs who don't know better and are struggling with new positions of "power".

These are "seasoned leaders".

A new instructor doing this - could see it happening and requiring some coaching. These people have been teaching in the biz for a good 10 years, at least.

Great point. In many ways it is the teaching profession in general that has struggled to adapt. Some would say it's because people grow older and less likely to change their routine, personality, methodology, etc. Others would say it's because teachers often feel the pressure for results. We have seen this in competitive drum corps and band. Instructors want results because in helps them keep their job and become a name in the industry. Some feel that being tough on marching members of drum corps or band is good for the kids. The problem is that there is no good time or place for hazing, belittling, inappropriate comments or verbal abuse, let alone physical abuse (sexual or otherwise). The days where that type of teaching might have been pushed aside (because the results were there) are over. So it always shocks me that some teachers / instructors have seemingly not got the "memo" and adapted to current laws and educational practices. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

Great point. In many ways it is the teaching profession in general that has struggled to adapt. Some would say it's because people grow older and less likely to change their routine, personality, methodology, etc. Others would say it's because teachers often feel the pressure for results. We have seen this in competitive drum corps and band. Instructors want results because in helps them keep their job and become a name in the industry. Some feel that being tough on marching members of drum corps or band is good for the kids. The problem is that there is no good time or place for hazing, belittling, inappropriate comments or verbal abuse, let alone physical abuse (sexual or otherwise). The days where that type of teaching might have been pushed aside (because the results were there) are over. So it always shocks me that some teachers / instructors have seemingly not got the "memo" and adapted to current laws and educational practices. 

It is possible to be a demanding instructor without being abusive.

My students describe me this way, but, honestly I don't know how I do it.  (Not trying to toot my own contra here, just trying to relay info).  

• Like 2

One last point, then I'm done 🙂

Back in the day, it was "If you don't get this right, I'm putting you on the sideline".  Nowadays, it's "if you're not ready for this part, that's okay...here's what you do instead...keep working on the other thing and when the time is right, you'll get in that section".

It's really not that difficult.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

It is possible to be a demanding instructor without being abusive.

My students describe me this way, but, honestly I don't know how I do it.  (Not trying to toot my own contra here, just trying to relay info).  

They have to know you are on their side . That has to come through the muck. With that said it can also be subjective from the student. There for sure are some that if you look at them crooked take offense . There will always be those. Biggest job is for a staff person to 1st convince them you ARE on thir side and trying to make them better

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 4

15 hours ago, Cappybara said:

Pardon me if this has already been something discussed during the offseason as I was not present at the time. There is a post circulating on social media from a former LGBTQ colorguard member at Phantom Regiment detailing their experiences of abuse in the corps during the 2021 season. It is a sad read. 

Here are the links: Link 1, Link 2

Especially after everything that has happened at the Cadets, SCV, Spirit of Atlanta, and I'm sure plenty of other corps, you would think the corps and DCI would take whistleblowers and abusers more seriously

This is unacceptable behavior.

You don't treat people like crap.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NewToPosting said:

Especially when the members pay $5k to march in a specific ensemble for a specific reason.  I remember all sorts of colorful language over 20 years ago (I paid $750 to march drum corps).  I could NOT imagine paying $5k and encountering instructors who can't be professional at a World Class drum corps.  I don't care how "annoying" the members get, or how many times their hand is wrong on count 12.  Making things traumatic for students is NOT how it should be done.

I don't care how much you pay. You should not be belittling and harassing anyone that pays to be in your ensemble. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BlueStainGlass said:

I don't care how much you pay. You should not be belittling and harassing anyone that pays to be in your ensemble. 

No one should be belittled or harassed, but If I'm paying $5K to march and the kid next to me is being a goof, or not giving his/her all, I WANT them to get yelled at by staff.  But that rarely happened as we policed ourselves - behind the stands, after sectionals. 

• Confused 1