Abuse in Drum Corps

8 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

and again.....it seems like not enough was done. if what was written is anywhere close true, i believe blown off is the appropriate phrase

To me, when it’s just one person causing issues, it’s a bad apple and you can try to educate and train that person for continuity sake. When there are multiple people involved, it’s a cultural issue that requires changes starting at the top-down

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, MikeN said:

Couldn't file their taxes, that's where they are.  😞

Mike

among other things

I know this member through my own corps member and they are not one to cause unnecessary drama.  This is a serious situation that needs to be handled as such.  If someone were threatening to throw a racial slur or disability slang, this conversation would be much different.  Verbal assault can be as harmful as physical assault.  While I will disagree that corps has become less taxing or that expectations have lessened (I know many corps that will sit you on the sidelines if you aren't cutting it...or give an alternate your spot), it does not require the use of threats or the building of fear.  Actually, that is coubter-productive to the whole system.  This member was one of their best guard and featured many times.  Phantom need to do better, DCI needs to do better.  We all could, in reality, do better.

• Like 1

On 7/6/2022 at 1:19 AM, Lance said:

Just saw that the person who threatened to deadname and the person who supervised them and defended it are both still on staff.  Wow. 

I’m surprised that supervisor was ever allowed back in the first place. Funny how one goes from being guard captain to aging out at another corps. She ran that guard into the ground in ‘10. Constant drama. Never have I heard a good word ever mentioned about her from even the nicest of people in the corps and staff. 

14 hours ago, DCIat14 said:

I know this member through my own corps member and they are not one to cause unnecessary drama.  This is a serious situation that needs to be handled as such.  If someone were threatening to throw a racial slur or disability slang, this conversation would be much different.  Verbal assault can be as harmful as physical assault.  While I will disagree that corps has become less taxing or that expectations have lessened (I know many corps that will sit you on the sidelines if you aren't cutting it...or give an alternate your spot), it does not require the use of threats or the building of fear.  Actually, that is coubter-productive to the whole system.  This member was one of their best guard and featured many times.  Phantom need to do better, DCI needs to do better.  We all could, in reality, do better.

Cadets 19 had a larger theme than we all knew

• Like 1