Thursday, July 7th ... "Drums on the Ohio" ... FJ Reitz High School ... Evansville, INDIANA

1 hour ago, oldbandguy said:

Broken Arrow doesn't have everyone, but....

Bluecoats - Canton, OH

Blue Devils - Concord, CA

Blue Knights - Denver, CO

Blue Stars - La Crosse, WI

Boston Crusaders - Boston, MA

Carolina Crown - Fort Mill, SC

The Cavaliers - Rosemont, IL

Santa Clara Vanguard - Santa Clara, CA

Then 2 days later in Denton; same lineup. Then 2 days later;  San Antonio with all the suspects.

1 hour ago, LabMaster said:

Then 2 days later in Denton; same lineup. Then 2 days later;  San Antonio with all the suspects.

Having looked through all the DFW shows(my local area) more times than I can count, I can confidently say that Denton has neither Blue Stars(shame), Cavies(SHAME, they usually always go to this one) or the Blue Devils(SHAME!! they don’t usually go to this one anyway). But it’s still quite the show to attend, the most stacked in the DFW area by a considerable margin, 8 of the(mostly) consensus predicted top 12 for this season, 4 of the top 6, should be a great show! Broken Arrow is quite fortunate to have such a stacked show of their own too

9 hours ago, Barneveld said:

I'm admittedly to lazy to look for the information. 🤣.    When is the first time everyone meets up - San Antonio or Atlanta?

Congrats to Blooo. Going to be an exciting back and forth battle with the top 5/6!

And welcome back Phantom!

Yay Phantom! 

7 minutes ago, Phantom56 said:

Why does Broken Arrow always get the best line-up for a small town show? Who knows who? 

Not sure a metropolitan area of over 1 million people should be considered a 'small town'

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Phantom56 said:

Why does Broken Arrow always get the best line-up for a small town show? Who knows who? 

Pride of Broken Arrow member recruitment 

After a drive home and a brief amount of sleep, and washing off an obscene level of humidity induced sweat, I am back with "Thoughts!"

Music City - They have a very mature sound and look! Considering the post-covid mass ageout phenomenon across the activity, this was a great surprise to begin with. Any early season jitters have been flushed out as it feels like mid-season form and this was only they 4th competition! An entertaining and interesting show, designed a way that really makes the most of what their member's bring to the table.

Crossmen - Are they short of the 150 max? They look smaller. I didn't want to waste the whole show counting but they seemed about 10 or 15 members shy? Sorry if this is addressed in the corps thread. I don't keep up with everything. This could be due to Music City before them filling the field space with props. Xmen props where minimal in comparison. It left a lot of open space. This corps is crisp. The brass was intentionally reserved and carefully chooses the moments to maximize their sound. The battery has some great notes and playing, but so much of it was unfortunately staged behind the mid-field or even back hash. I understand the show concept but the design doesn't really sell the concept too strongly. Fortunately, I truly love the music choices and arrangements. More than makes up for it.

Phantom Regiment - After Detroit, I heard lots of the usual bemoaning about corps losing identity and being unrecognizable being laid at the foot of the newly costume-ized Regiment. Don't buy into it. If you were blind, you would still immediately recognize these sounds as Regiment. And even visually this costume still leans to a PR look ... without helmets. No big deal. This year's approach is all aggression. The loudness of the Detroit feed was not a technical snafu. Last year I was commenting with friends at how hard the new percussion crew had them hitting the drums REAL HARD. Now the brass matches ... and then some. And visually, they are pushing velocity and power. All along with classic PR signature marching techniques. Baffling how anyone could question their identity.

Bluecoats - Coming out with a show so well-implemented before August should be a crime. The level of detail that goes into throughline here is mastery. As a viewer that tends to get distracted from show concepts while hyper-focusing on the minutiae of specific performer/performance details, I found myself at the end of the show haven't not been sidetracked even once. With that being said, it seems obvious that the design staff has plans to further curate this piece and I cannot wait. Brass is very good. Guard is deceptively good. They don't fall into the trap of setting up irrelevant expositions of technique that some of the top guards get into. The work is seamless into the show design yet still incredible. While the battery is great, what will make the difference for this percussion is the matching level of talent on display both in the front and on the field. 

PR Encore - Phantom's new levels of volume makes for a fantastically fun encore. Over the past few years, they have converted this pocket of Indiana into a little home away from home. I've seen PR in Rockford, and they have a great home crowd. But this is right under that tier. Dwight Emmert has forged a nice relationship between the corps, Evansville schools, and the community.

Edited by mingusmonk
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 5

2 hours ago, mingusmonk said:

After a drive home and a brief amount of sleep, and washing off an obscene level of humidity induced sweat, I am back with "Thoughts!"

Music City - They have a very mature sound and look! Considering the post-covid mass ageout phenomenon across the activity, this was a great surprise to begin with. Any early season jitters have been flushed out as it feels like mid-season form and this was only they 4th competition! An entertaining and interesting show, designed a way that really makes the most of what their member's bring to the table.

Crossmen - Are they short of the 150 max? They look smaller. I didn't want to waste the whole show counting but they seemed about 10 or 15 members shy? Sorry if this is addressed in the corps thread. I don't keep up with everything. This could be due to Music City before them filling the field space with props. Xmen props where minimal in comparison. It left a lot of open space. This corps is crisp. The brass was intentionally reserved and carefully chooses the moments to maximize their sound. The battery has some great notes and playing, but so much of it was unfortunately staged behind the mid-field or even back hash. I understand the show concept but the design doesn't really sell the concept too strongly. Fortunately, I truly love the music choices and arrangements. More than makes up for it.

Phantom Regiment - After Detroit, I heard lots of the usual bemoaning about corps losing identity and being unrecognizable being laid at the foot of the newly costume-ized Regiment. Don't buy into it. If you were blind, you would still immediately recognize these sounds as Regiment. And even visually this costume still leans to a PR look ... without helmets. No big deal. This year's approach is all aggression. The loudness of the Detroit feed was not a technical snafu. Last year I was commenting with friends at how hard the new percussion crew had them hitting the drums REAL HARD. Now the brass matches ... and then some. And visually, they are pushing velocity and power. All along with classic PR signature marching techniques. Baffling how anyone could question their identity.

Bluecoats - Coming out with a show so well-implemented before August should be a crime. The level of detail that goes into throughline here is mastery. As a viewer that tends to get distracted from show concepts while hyper-focusing on the minutiae of specific performer/performance details, I found myself at the end of the show haven't not been sidetracked even once. With that being said, it seems obvious that the design staff has plans to further curate this piece and I cannot wait. Brass is very good. Guard is deceptively good. They don't fall into the trap of setting up irrelevant expositions of technique that some of the top guards get into. The work is seamless into the show design yet still incredible. While the battery is great, what will make the difference for this percussion is the matching level of talent on display both in the front and on the field. 

PR Encore - Phantom's new levels of volume makes for a fantastically fun encore. Over the past few years, they have converted this pocket of Indiana into a little home away from home. If seen PR in Rockford, and they have a great home crowd. But this is right under that tier. Dwight Emmert has forged a nice relationship between the corps, Evansville schools, and the community.

Just an fyi regarding Crossmen mm numbers.  Corps can have up to 165 mm’s this year.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LabMaster said:

Just an fyi regarding Crossmen mm numbers.  Corps can have up to 165 mm’s this year.

Then they seemed about 20 shy? 😆

• 4 months later...
On 7/8/2022 at 12:55 PM, mingusmonk said:

PR Encore - Phantom's new levels of volume makes for a fantastically fun encore. Over the past few years, they have converted this pocket of Indiana into a little home away from home. I've seen PR in Rockford, and they have a great home crowd. But this is right under that tier. Dwight Emmert has forged a nice relationship between the corps, Evansville schools, and the community.

Hopefully Regiment keeps a presence in Evansville

pour-drink.gif