Friday, July 8th ... "DCI Capital Classic” … Hornet Stadium – Sacramento State University – Sacramento, California

12 minutes ago, Box5Opinion said:

Like there was any doubt! You are two weeks late for that call! Will be in the middle of the pack - 6th-9th place at finals!! 

Sorry first time I got to see them. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, saxfreq1128 said:

Wow looks like my favs all had good runs tonight! and BD guard had probably their best run… Awesome. 

Once again, time will tell if they can maintain this. Guard did take caption with 8.3 in Content (ahead of SCV) but (behind SCV) 8.0 in Achievement. And this is with a SCV guard that is not a focal point of the show and easily gets lost visually due to lack of color. This is uncharted territory for the Blue Devils guard. Boston Crusaders, Bluecoats and Carolina Crown will challenge them for this caption come August.  

4 minutes ago, Box5Opinion said:

Once again, time will tell if they can maintain this. Guard did take caption with 8.3 in Content (ahead of SCV) but (behind SCV) 8.0 in Achievement. And this is with a SCV guard that is not a focal point of the show and easily gets lost visually due to lack of color. This is uncharted territory for the Blue Devils guard. Boston Crusaders, Bluecoats and Carolina Crown will challenge them for this caption come August.  

You are acting as if BD has never faced a challenge, doesn't know what it's like to be the front runner with a target on their back. This whole uncharted territory talk is hilarious. If anyone in drum corps knows how to respond to a challenge, it's BD. 

You want SCV to take Guard, ok cool. SCV or someone else can be #1 in Guard next month..........as long as BD is DCI Champs. 

• Like 8

Since SCV did their closer tonight, everyone out east should be a bit more terrified of BD. They increased the score by another .15 points over Vanguard! Also, the middle of the pack should be watching Mandarins closely! 

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

21 minutes ago, Box5Opinion said:

How is this uncharted territory when they last won the caption in 2015? Their content scores are high and they are still very dirty, so there is a lot yet to be written on this season.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Fantastic show tonight. I was in the VIP section (meaning upper half of the stands between the 35s) around the 40 yard line. It feels like it’s been so long since I’ve seen (and heard) live drum corps. Flo, for all it allows us to see, just can’t do justice to the sound and balance of seeing these corps live. The way Flo mics the pit speakers individually but keeps them at full level in the mix makes soloists and pit instruments way overbalanced compared to what it’s like in person. For example, BD’s mic’d soloists blended absolutely beautifully. And Mandarins opening trombone feature is far more balanced than on Flo, where one player is always right under Flo’s left field mic. 

BD was on fire. That’s pretty much all that needs to be said. Strong across the board. 

SCV thankfully had their ending (there’s some sections of fast criss cross drill that make me think they might have had it for a few days but hadn’t properly rehearsed it enough for it to be safe yet). But I don’t think that ending is going to change anyone’s minds about the program. 

Mandarins had a great run tonight. Their vocalist continues to have his best performance each time, and that ballad is turning into one of my favorite musical moments of this season. They made some musical improvements too that seemed to address what I think has been their dirtiest portion so far (the fast part of their second movement). 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, brassboy said:

Fantastic show tonight. I was in the VIP section (meaning upper half of the stands between the 35s) around the 40 yard line. It feels like it’s been so long since I’ve seen (and heard) live drum corps. Flo, for all it allows us to see, just can’t do justice to the sound and balance of seeing these corps live. The way Flo mics the pit speakers individually but keeps them at full level in the mix makes soloists and pit instruments way overbalanced compared to what it’s like in person. For example, BD’s mic’d soloists blended absolutely beautifully. And Mandarins opening trombone feature is far more balanced than on Flo, where one player is always right under Flo’s left field mic. 

BD was on fire. That’s pretty much all that needs to be said. Strong across the board. 

SCV thankfully had their ending (there’s some sections of fast criss cross drill that make me think they might have had it for a few days but hadn’t properly rehearsed it enough for it to be safe yet). But I don’t think that ending is going to change anyone’s minds about the program. 

Mandarins had a great run tonight. Their vocalist continues to have his best performance each time, and that ballad is turning into one of my favorite musical moments of this season. They made some musical improvements too that seemed to address what I think has been their dirtiest portion so far (the fast part of their second movement). 

Total agree with your comments of the sound quality vs flo. The balance live is so much better. All of the corps sounded better, which I would expect. BD had me grinning their whole show. The show just flows beautifully, and it’s simply eye candy. It never seems to bog down either visually or musically. Mandarins have matured so much as a corps; and they perform with a confidence that surpasses anything in their past. You can tell that they believe they can run with the big boys.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Do it up Devils were hot last night. If there’s a weakness we sure can’t see it. The guard was amazing 🤩 and the show design is again on another level then everyone else. So balanced, controlled, and smooth. We were looking at each other with smiles ear to ear. I see room for a few Easter eggs in this production too. We love 💕 our naughty little Devils. 

• Like 2