Is Parity really possible in DCI...

52 minutes ago, g00fyg00ber said:

The issue here that I think many are alluding to is "putting the work in" oftentimes boils down to "spend more money", which is not something every organisation has equal access to. 

I don't claim to have virtually any answers when it comes to this stuff - but I can tell you, as the director of a competitive marching band from a small, rural area that is sometimes judged before we play a note - I've heard more iterations of "put the work in" from judges than I would like to, to the point where my group can translate what that actually means.

My kids work hard - but the playing field isn't level. 

Much love and respect to your comment, and what you go thru as a director. 

I most certainly could not do your job, and I would be fired day one.

Good luck to you and your performers moving forward. 

• Like 4

Want more parity?  Donate your time and money to the lower tier corps.  Watch them on the field when they’re performing (and cheer loudly) instead of warmups of the higher placing corps in the parking lot.  Buy souvenirs from the lower tier corps.  

When those “lower corps” are getting applause and recognition, more kids will be interested in marching with them.  Full memberships will inspire more interest, more giving, etc.

Improving parity won’t be beneficial to the activity unless it’s achieved by bringing up the lower corps, not bringing down the higher corps.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, DrummerParent said:

Want more parity?  Donate your time and money to the lower tier corps.  Watch them on the field when they’re performing (and cheer loudly) instead of warmups of the higher placing corps in the parking lot.  Buy souvenirs from the lower tier corps.  

When those “lower corps” are getting applause and recognition, more kids will be interested in marching with them.  Full memberships will inspire more interest, more giving, etc.

Improving parity won’t be beneficial to the activity unless it’s achieved by bringing up the lower corps, not bringing down the higher corps.

I do agree there. 

I attended the first three shows in Oceanside, Pasadena and San Bernardino. I will give the crowd credit at all three places, the stands were packed from the beginning. The Open Class corps got a great reception and got to perform in front of a lot of people. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

I do agree there. 

I attended the first three shows in Oceanside, Pasadena and San Bernardino. I will give the crowd credit at all three places, the stands were packed from the beginning. The Open Class corps got a great reception and got to perform in front of a lot of people. 

I also can report that at both the Quincy and Lynn shows, the stands were jam-packed for the both 7th Regiment and the Spartans  right through Surf, Cadets and Boston. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Phantombari1 said:

The point spread is dramatic from top to bottom.  To me the only thing keeping this scoring gap all falls on the staff...(IMO) Though it sounds and looks like it, I don't believe the talent level is dramatically better at the top than it is from the bottom. 

I'll ask these questions. What if the entire BD staff left Devils and went to say Music City (just used for example sake as MC recently moved to WC in 2018)?  Where would that elevate them right away?  Would folks that normally march BD now go to Music City and when would this actually occur (right away or in a season or two)?  How far could the current talent at MC be elevated in the rankings (assuming no advance announcement was made)? Would the members reach some sort of competitive ceiling? Would the MC organization have the financial stability or capability to handle such a massive change, even if they staff themselves worked for free?

My point is there is more to this equation then just what happens on the field. What happens off-the field is just as important as on-field competitiveness...

Note: I am not disparaging MC in any way. Just using them as a hypothetical to pose some of these questions. 

• Like 1

Also, I would add that while I don't speak either for the BAC or Beverly Cardinals Alumni, it looked to me like BOTH of those shows were sold out...or close to it!

1 hour ago, g00fyg00ber said:

The issue here that I think many are alluding to is "putting the work in" oftentimes boils down to "spend more money", which is not something every organisation has equal access to. 

I don't claim to have virtually any answers when it comes to this stuff - but I can tell you, as the director of a competitive marching band from a small, rural area that is sometimes judged before we play a note - I've heard more iterations of "put the work in" from judges than I would like to, to the point where my group can translate what that actually means.

My kids work hard - but the playing field isn't level. 

Director of an indoor group in a lower economic area. We went out in Walmart shirts and sweatpants our first year while using instruments that are older than every kid held together by whatever you could think of. We go up against these independent groups that share with rich schools with brand new matching everything and heard judges sweet talk around saying our equipment is garbage. We were once considered a clown car because we just throw whatever we could to make things work. Some circuits they don't care and actually judge off what's there and some judge off looks. I hope you guys get the credit you deserve because it's hell being judged before you even play. 

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, bluecoats88 said:

Parity is hard,  even in Major League Baseball, you have a team with arguably 2 of the best players in the League in Trout and Ohtani, and yet the Angels never even find a way to make the playoffs let alone win it all.

Baseball is the best example I can see that shows how a parity system can work...Baseball has more new champions than most any other sport.  Yes the big guys make the playoffs most of the time but they don't get to the world series...Payroll isn't everything...Just ask the Yankees!