What are your controversial marching arts opinions?

I like BD 2010! Maybe because it's one of the few DCI shows on Spotify along with Beat My Heart Skipped, so of course those are some of the ones I listen to most frequently.

Not a hot take, but embarrassing confession here: yes I dance to DCI music.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, ThePlanets said:

My controversial opinions:

The captions should hold more weight in scoring (brass,percussion, even guard)

Madison 2019 should have been a lot closer to making finals.

The best years for DCI by a country mile were 1980 and 2015

We need more shows like Jersey Surf 2012, Bridgemen 1980, Jersey Surf 2004, and VK as a whole.  Where is the funny corps? 

Just as in theatre. Comedy is incredibly hard to do well. It requires more planning to do it well, and much more risk if it fails.  Hence it’s not often attempted anymore. 

• Like 4

On 7/10/2022 at 2:42 PM, lowend said:

Here are a few:

• Some shows are too hard for the casual fan to enjoy/appreciate.  
  • The musicianship is many old school shows is lacking and makes listening to them unenjoyable.
  • The current trends in costumery do not fly in some parts of the country.  I've had students and parents turned off by what modern performers are wearing.  The bulges and "fabulousness" especially turn off my straight male students.
  • Modern DCI drum majors could be replaced and nobody would notice.  They beat time and don't conduct.
  • Drum corps is a niche activity and is nowhere near as important as we want to think it is.  
  • While DCI is still influencing high school bands in some parts of the country, in other parts directors know better than to try to copy what is going on in DCI.  It's not the "marching arts" -- it's just marching band.

On the "Lowend" here's a High Five on your appreciated observations! Spot On.

First my "DrumCorpsRelic" disclaimer. I marched with a Boston Area Corps (NO NOT THAT ONE! LOL) From 1964-1972. Thus a very Active and Proud and Out Loud Marching Member, Corps Board of Director. Since 2004, I've grew to become a Loyal, Die Hard, "Honker?!" Volunteer, Financial supporter, Tour Navigator, Corps Home Show TV Promo Producer/Editor,  A Company/Employee Sponsor. Lastly, I became a life long, "1969 LP Cover, inspired, "Troopers of Casper, Wyoming", "24" Cymbal Line Groupee and Simplex Minutemen, Gardner, MA performer 1971-72. Today at 72 years young, I've become more of a Drum and Bugle Corps fan since I turned 65.

I'll make it Simple. Change in anything and is inevitable, and ever evolving.  You either go with the Flow or find yourself overwhelmed, disheartened and accepting of it or not. It's your gift that comes with "Free Will". Taste, Style, Music, Design, Uniforms vs. Costumes, Tradition dies hard, but makes us members of the "Old Guard" may define todays "Drum Corps" as "Non-Compliant". What is found on the field of competition today, Be it Good, Bad, Indifferent "IS, What It Is." Drum Corps, Marching Band, or any Pageantry of the Arts," has ironically and expressively become a direct "Reflection" of our Culture we now find ourselves in. We don't always like what we see in the mirror. But as the saying goes: "That Train has left the Station" and made new tracks into the future.  "All Aboard?" I thought Not.

All the Best to all the Corps out there, on or off the 2022 DCI Summer Tour. Particularly to THE ACADEMY, as they build  "A World of Your/My Imagination." Happy Oompa-Loompas you All Are!   E N J O Y !

My alternate scoring system idea:

First corps to perform gets some base number ( 50, for example) in all captions. From there, you rank the other corps within that caption in a relative sense, with no ceiling or floor implied.

Pioneer comes on first, gets an automatic 50. Crossmen come on next, and are significantly better than Pioneer in that caption, they get a 65. Blue Knights are marginally better than XMen, they get a 67. Phantom, not quite as good as BK, but still a bit better than Xmen -- 66. SCV blows them all away -- 78.

Give the judge one more opportunity to adjust scores after all performances. If you want, you could then normalize everything to 100 points, or do whatever you need to do to add the captions together to get a final score potential of 100. A corps that sweeps all captions would get that 100 score. The scores for the other corps would kind of be a percentage of goodness compared to the winning corps.

Edited by Precious Roy

40 minutes ago, C.Holland said:

Just as in theatre. Comedy is incredibly hard to do well. It requires more planning to do it well, and much more risk if it fails.  Hence it’s not often attempted anymore. 

It’s escaped my mind in it even being a possibility as it hasn’t been the main selling point of a show in the time I’ve been watching, I don’t even know what it would begin to look and sound like in today’s drum corps👀

28 minutes ago, DrumCorpsRelic said:

I'll make it Simple. Change in anything and is inevitable, and ever evolving.  You either go with the Flow or find yourself overwhelmed, disheartened and accepting of it or not.

You are a rare specimen. An older member of the community who is actually accepting towards new ideas. Take good care of yourself, you might be one of the last of your species 🙃

I have controversial opinions about the DCI venues:

• I think DCI is best appreciated at outdoor venues as long as the weather is decent.  For example...I don’t think Lucas Oil Stadium (LOS) is a good acoustic environment for Drum Corps, it sounds better outside.  I don’t think LOS food is very good either.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, kkrepps said:

I have controversial opinions about the DCI venues:

• I think DCI is best appreciated at outdoor venues as long as the weather is decent.  For example...I don’t think Lucas Oil Stadium (LOS) is a good acoustic environment for Drum Corps, it sounds better outside.  I don’t think LOS food is very good either.

With all due respect, I disagree & also concur:  😁🧐

1) While Lucas Oil is not perfect, the adaptations with sound absorption curtains, etc make it a great venue for the championships.  Depending on the number in my party, I'm not going to spend $3-6k for tickets, travel, food, etc. to deal with weather issues.  There's also the general effect possibilities that are afforded in a venue such as the oil can. (i.e. Cadets corner set this season)  

2) The Lucas Oil food could be much, much better & more affordable.  The best food venue over all of my years of attending shows has to be Mercedes-Benz Stadium.  Great food @cheaper prices, but it's horrible for acoustics.  It could really use some sound absorption materials, but it's only one show.     

Never forget the horrible experience in Jackson, MS; and it wasn't "snowing in the pines"...
(Or something like 
that.)

Edited by keystone3ply
cx
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, DrumCorpsRelic said:

On the "Lowend" here's a High Five on your appreciated observations! Spot On.

First my "DrumCorpsRelic" disclaimer. I marched with a Boston Area Corps (NO NOT THAT ONE! LOL) From 1964-1972. Thus a very Active and Proud and Out Loud Marching Member, Corps Board of Director. Since 2004, I've grew to become a Loyal, Die Hard, "Honker?!" Volunteer, Financial supporter, Tour Navigator, Corps Home Show TV Promo Producer/Editor,  A Company/Employee Sponsor. Lastly, I became a life long, "1969 LP Cover, inspired, "Troopers of Casper, Wyoming", "24" Cymbal Line Groupee and Simplex Minutemen, Gardner, MA performer 1971-72. Today at 72 years young, I've become more of a Drum and Bugle Corps fan since I turned 65.

I'll make it Simple. Change in anything and is inevitable, and ever evolving.  You either go with the Flow or find yourself overwhelmed, disheartened and accepting of it or not. It's your gift that comes with "Free Will". Taste, Style, Music, Design, Uniforms vs. Costumes, Tradition dies hard, but makes us members of the "Old Guard" may define todays "Drum Corps" as "Non-Compliant". What is found on the field of competition today, Be it Good, Bad, Indifferent "IS, What It Is." Drum Corps, Marching Band, or any Pageantry of the Arts," has ironically and expressively become a direct "Reflection" of our Culture we now find ourselves in. We don't always like what we see in the mirror. But as the saying goes: "That Train has left the Station" and made new tracks into the future.  "All Aboard?" I thought Not.

All the Best to all the Corps out there, on or off the 2022 DCI Summer Tour. Particularly to THE ACADEMY, as they build  "A World of Your/My Imagination." Happy Oompa-Loompas you All Are!   E N J O Y !

Being old as well.  Change is not always better nor always "evolved"  see New Coke.

• Haha 2