The annual lament

8 minutes ago, Lance said:

What was the crowd size in DeKalb, and what impact do you think it will have on DCI's creative direction? 

Lots of empty “primo” seats. People are getting tired of what the “sheets say”. It’s up to the member corps to change what’s happening within the “general public”.

Edited by Sutasaurus
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

48 minutes ago, tedrick said:

looking at the size of the crowd at DeKalb, it looked like many people are voting with their pocketbooks.
In defense of the OP, satire and humor are often more effective means of persuasion than pedantic polemic. 

I remember everything --

California shows........venues were packed with huge crowds. Open Class Corps like Golden Empire/Impulse getting the opportunity to perform in front of 15,000 plus at the Rose Bowl couple weeks ago............Oceanside/San Bernardino shows packed. So what did we vote?

• Like 4

1 minute ago, kdaddy said:

Here's guessing the students love the direction of the activity, and I put far more weight on that than anything else.

Yep. 

I agree with most of the sentiments of the OP, but if anything, I think the things I tend to hate will become even more prevalent in the future. All of the micing combined with a rather large leaning towards visual over music on judging sheets combined with obsession with megaprops aren't just fads.  It leads me to believe that hornline sizes will shrink tremendously over the next 10-20 years.  More time to train and rehearse visual with less needed to focus on musical training since corps will be able to be a lot more selective in the music audition process.  I don't like it, but unless all of these things are actually fads, that's where I see DCI going.  My signature has remained unchanged for several years for a reason.  

Hah, now watch me become an old man yelling at clouds when I hit my breaking point in the next few years.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lance said:

It leads me to believe that hornline sizes will shrink tremendously over the next 10-20 years.  

I've never actually thought about drum corps in this context, but here I am... I've tended toward a really gloom and doom opinion about what the future holds in all manners of life, and I think there is some extreme uncertainty in what life will be like (e.g., namely from climate change). So negatively, I think drum corps may be so low on life's priorities as to not exist in a couple decades, to no fault of GE changes and design trends.

Whoa, that got dark...

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Sutasaurus said:

Lots of empty “primo” seats. People are getting tired of what the “sheets say”. It’s up to the member corps to change what’s happening within the “general public”.

It’s up to the corps to change gas prices and an oncoming recession? — factors that probably have a lot more to do with butts in the stands than some mass protest against “the sheets.” Ya gotta stop projecting. We’ve got to stop saying the activity is dead when what we mean is that we no longer love it. 

The more people bring this up (at minimum weekly) the more I feel like many of us are drastically  misremembering DCI’s past. I think people are in love with a version of this activity that selectively leaves a lot of things out — which I get in a human sense, because nostalgia is real. But when I look at DCI’s past, I see a lot more weirdness and experimentation than the “shut up and play me a melody” crowd apparently remembers. And don’t even get me started on weird uniforms and props. 

Edited by saxfreq1128
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, saxfreq1128 said:

It’s up to the corps to change gas prices and an oncoming recession? — factors that probably have a lot more to do with butts in the stands than some mass protest against “the sheets.” Ya gotta stop projecting. We’ve got to stop saying the activity is dead when what we mean is that we no longer love it. 

The more people bring this up (at minimum weekly) the more I feel like many of us are drastically  misremembering DCI’s past. I think people are in love with a version of this activity that selectively leaves a lot of things out — which I get in a human sense, because nostalgia is real. But when I look at DCI’s past, I see a lot more weirdness and experimentation than the “shut up and play me a melody” crowd apparently remembers. And don’t even get me started on weird uniforms and props. 

Please go back and read my post in context to the question I was answering. The member corps decide what is awarded on the sheets. There are comments sprinkled about DCP that some of this years shows aren’t exactly connecting with some fans. I feel there is a direct correlation between what is being rewarded and fewer butts in the seats.

No need to dismiss people who actually appreciate a coherent musical phrase and the absence of props on the field. They pay to be entertained too. Having been a part of the drum corps activity for just about 50 years, I’ve seen a lot of change in the activity, some good, some not so good. Is this current trend a step in the right direction? I dunno, I just see BOA taking over the activity myself and so many others worked tirelessly to differentiate ourselves from. 
Peace out.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Sutasaurus said:

Hello Dave!