A Commentary on Narration

3 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

If BD comes out next year with a show full of narration covering up the brass, I will be the first person to say "this sucks" 

Where does the narration really cover up the brass in Bluecoats show? Apart from a brief spot in the ballad setup where the voice is over some backfield ambient chords and a few seconds during crescendo into the finale, most all of the narration is happing in transitions between the main songs (no tunes are interrupted mid-tune), and (imo) is meticulously arranged to interact with the percussion book in a way I find is pretty tasteful and clever. I'm admittedly a big fan of Tom Rarick's perc writing though, and this book reminds me of their treatment of voiceover in Kinetic Noise's Animated Description of Mr Maps percussion feature which I also really enjoyed.

It's fine not to like narration, but I don't hear it really competing with the brass book. Lots of corps (even other blue ones) have samples and thematic sounds layered over ambient brass tones. 

Hmm.... Accidental double-post?

Edited by 3PoC
Double-post

These "my drum corps era was better than your drum corps era" posts are getting out of hand. I wish DCP would shut them down. Even tho I agree with a lot of it, I still hate them, especially cuz I read the same people complaining about the same stuff over and over and over and over and over again. It accomplishes nothing. 

Edited by CAtenhut
  • Like 2

Yowza, this is a verbose and meandering  thread!

12 hours ago, ftwdrummer said:

And that the best use of narration in drum corps in general (IMO) was the Einstein on the Beach text in the ballad in Crown 2013 (though there's an argument for Colts 2015 here as well ETA also Crown 2007).

Crown's narration was also live.  It wasn't pre-recorded.

I read this whole thread not having seen the show. Then I watched it (thanks YT). I was expecting the worst. It wasn’t that. I liked it. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, 3PoC said:

Where does the narration really cover up the brass in Bluecoats show? Apart from a brief spot in the ballad setup where the voice is over some backfield ambient chords and a few seconds during crescendo into the finale, most all of the narration is happing in transitions between the main songs (no tunes are interrupted mid-tune)

Either way, the narration takes time and opportunity away from the brass.  It is a shame - the brass gives us some very cool segments when they do get their turn, and I would love to hear what else they could do with transitions.  

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Either way, the narration takes time and opportunity away from the brass.  It is a shame - the brass gives us some very cool segments when they do get their turn, and I would love to hear what else they could do with transitions.  

so much negativity in this thread and several others

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

so much negativity in this thread and several others

Yup... Oldies who can't get out of their own way. I don't like BC's narration either but I'm keeping my mouth shut. Some members read these threads and I don't need to make them feel like sh.

Edited by CAtenhut

2 hours ago, CAtenhut said:

Yup... Oldies who can't get out of their own way. I don't like BC's narration either but I'm keeping my mouth shut. Some members read these threads and I don't need to make them feel like sh.

They chose to march in  the corps that do that. Some narration is fine for this "oldie", but a lot of the narration is absurd. Honestly,  I'm ok with Bluecoats narration for example,  but it is polarizing.  I think it's fine to critique corps; as always it's not what you say, it's how you say it....

Works with criticism AND show narration!