Friday, July 15th - “Show of Shows” … Boylan Central Catholic High School Stadium … Rockford, ILLINOIS

1 minute ago, Cappybara said:

In terms of pure musicality and flow, this show wins the season by a country mile. If I had to choose a show to march this season, this would be it. Thank you Phantom (and JD Shaw)

It's not hard. Show designers should be expected to choose four or five pieces of music that have been (or could be) played outside of the drum corps idiom, then adapt them for the drum corps idiom. 90% of them are overcomplicating things.

• Like 1

I'm biased, but I think Phantom has the best encore pieces of any corps. Cannot wait to hear this great hornline play the classics 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Ashontheinternet said:

looks like SoS wasn't the only show experiencing rain issues! DATR Cheyenne got delayed from rain 😕

And that sux. Just want every corps to be able to max out their seasons. Bluecoats, Cavies and Regiment included. Thank you Blue Stars  for a complete show.

That's what we call an Attention Getter! I love the music book for Phantom Regiment so much!!! For me this is the best music book on the field this summer. My hair was standing straight up on the back of my neck and on my arms during this show. This performance makes me wonder just how well this brass line can score if they begin to sound like this when marching. The power of this line is incredible. I said it earlier and I will say it again. Phantom's brass is a top FIVE caliber line. I know that when marching it has not been super clean, but if this continues to clean and just wonder where the ceiling is? Thank you, Phantom! 

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, Sutasaurus said:

And that sux. Just want every corps to be able to max out their seasons. Bluecoats, Cavies and Regiment included. Thank you Blue Stars  for a complete show.

Are you not gonna own up that “cop out” was a pretty harsh assessment for the decision Bloo made for the weather?  I mean…its sort of noticeable you’ve not said “Well Phantom copped out too.” 

• Like 4

At this point, I feel like there should be a scheduled stand still show every year. When Muncie was a standstill a few years ago, it was awesome. Cavies, Bluecoats, and Phantom tonight was awesome. Give me a day in early July with all corps doing standstills on Flomarching. Three sites, East Coast, Midwest, West Coast. Start at 6:00 in the east and finish at midnight east coast. No overlapping. Just let me hear the music in the arc.

Z

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Hrothgar15 said:

It's not hard. Show designers should be expected to choose four or five pieces of music that have been (or could be) played outside of the drum corps idiom, then adapt them for the drum corps idiom. 90% of them are overcomplicating things.

I am certainly not against different styles of arranging and genres of music being used. There are some terrific music books out there this summer for sure, but I will agree that there has been a pattern of over-arranging, or better yet a lot of brass acrobatics (as @Poppycock often states). I am not against some show-off of technique, but it has to fit into the musical phrase in a more natural way. One thing Phantom has always done well is long melodic development and leading the ear to those emotional peaks and valleys. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Quick Thoughts.

Love the Colts drum line. I love when I can actually hear dynamics in a drum line. And I think the show is a very good vehicle for the drums and the corps.  

Madison's show was shockingly boring visually.  And the lack of actual marching by the corps proper was sho king.  Possibly my least favorite Scouts show ever.  On the flip side,the Brasssounded strong (but it should because of the lack of movement).

Blue Stars strong as usual.  But, I really wish they could learn to edit visually. They always have just that extra clutter that gets in the way.  Still enjoyable.

Bluecoats musically just seem very bland to me this year.very strong ensemble,  But, they did not get an opportunity to really shine. On the bright side, the narration stopped before it got to the point that I found so insipid that they lost me completely.  Only so many eye rolls allowed in one show!

Very happy to get a good listent o Phantom's music.at the theater, the audio was totally screwed up.  Very enjoyable program. They will definitely be a crowd favorite in Indy!

Can't wait to actually see everyone live!

Oh, Flo Marching was actually pretty solid for me tonight.  Pleasant surprise.

Edited by Tony L.
  • Like 2