Timeless Shows

1 hour ago, ftwdrummer said:

I appreciate how the "timeless" shows are (completely baseless guess) all shows from when people first fell in love with the activity. Much the way my "timeless" shows are Cavies '06 and Phantom '08.

It's like how for each person the best SNL cast is the one from when they were in middle school, regardless of the actual quality of that cast.

I fell in love with the activity in 2003, but thanks to YouTube and other outlets I eventually discovered older shows that I loved as well. I can't get into anything prior to 1985, but that's just a personal preference. I'm sure I'll get some hate for that, but it is what it is.

5 minutes ago, Incognito365 said:

I fell in love with the activity in 2003, but thanks to YouTube and other outlets I eventually discovered older shows that I loved as well. I can't get into anything prior to 1985, but that's just a personal preference. I'm sure I'll get some hate for that, but it is what it is.

1984 Cadets is a classic you’re missing out on 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Incognito365 said:

Nothing wrong with that. You are probably younger than I. I think the era in which you were first introduced to DCI is the era you will always love the most. You will adapt, of course, and will reach back to view other shows, and you will continue to enjoy the modern stuff as well. My era was mostly 80s and 90s. So many of my most favorite shows are from that era. But I continue to adapt to what we are seeing and hearing today. 

For me, if we are talking about timeless classic in the sense of a show that would still feel competitive and up-to-date even today, then I think Star of Indiana 1993 still fits the bill. It will be 30 years come next year that their contemporary classic premiered and I can still watch it and think "boy does that feel modern." 

The Cadets 1985 show was pretty modern for the time. Not sure if it holds up now, but the music book for the first half of that show was wild. Visually it will certainly look more 80s. 

What the Cavaliers were doing in 1997 with their Stravinsky show was very ahead of time. 

If we are talking timeless classic in the sense that it's your favorite, or one of your favorite shows, and you still love it today then I am not sure that fits what the OP was asking about. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cappybara said:

1984 Cadets is a classic you’re missing out on 

I've tried. I've watched a LOT of videos since the inception of DCI, and I just can't get into anything prior to 1985. To some it may be blasphemy, but it's just a taste thing. I can appreciate it, I just can't say I would watch any of those shows again.

2 hours ago, jwillis35 said:

Nothing wrong with that. You are probably younger than I. I think the era in which you were first introduced to DCI is the era you will always love the most. You will adapt, of course, and will reach back to view other shows, and you will continue to enjoy the modern stuff as well. My era was mostly 80s and 90s. So many of my most favorite shows are from that era. But I continue to adapt to what we are seeing and hearing today. 

My favorite all time show will forever be Crown 2007, but I can still get into today's stuff as well. I think it helps that I started my marching career in school during the time that things were starting to shift from no props to props, voiceovers were starting to become a thing, lights, etc. 

BD 2011. Traditional enough to satisfy the older crowd, with abstract and modern influences for the more recent fans.

16 hours ago, Liahona said:

These are my top 5 in this order for ME personally

1. Carolina Crown 2015 - Inferno
  2. The Cadets 2011 - Between Angels and Demons
  3. SCV 2013 - Les Miserables
  4. Blue Devils 2017 - Metamorph
  5. Boston Crusader 2000 - Red

I forget how nice of a show Red is. Under the radar.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Hrothgar15 said:

This seems like a failure on DCI judging’s part, no? There should be a diversity of show styles and material that are equally competitive at equal levels of demand.

I agree, but it's just as much a failure of the design community.  If the only goal is to win then why not copy the thing that wins?  So, maybe there is some mutual reinforcement going on?

FWIW, I became aware of corps in the late 90s when my band director played the Blue Devils 97/98 cd for us at a work day one summer.  I was hooked.  My preferences for shows were based more on AUDIO recordings available online in those days than actually seeing the shows.  I got to go to maybe one show a year and then watch the PBS broadcast. 

Cadets 2000 was the first show that I saw as a high schooler that really captured me.  It was so well thought out, the melodies were full, logical, and flowing.  The drill was nothing I had ever seen before and, as a trumpet player, that little soli where they played the other one's valves and the one dude waved...high school me flipped out over that!  I can't tell you how many high school and college tenor lines I've seen copy that feature since then.  YET, as wonderful as that show is, it would not perform well [that is the actual term the OP used] today.  I would bet today's performers might just be able to do a better job of performing it, but it wouldn't win now.  It might sneak in at the bottom of the top 12, but it doesn't have any of the "compulsory elements" that have to be present in today's shows.

• Thanks 1