Saturday, July 16th ... “DCI Memphis” … Simmons Bank Stadium in Liberty Park … Memphis, TENNESSEE

10 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

I'm so glad you clarified your position. 🤣

yw!

Back from DCI Memphis & here's my "hot take" (Get it?) from last night.  I love the way DCI communicates with their audience.  There's was no announcement about the 30 minute delay in the stadium.  So I figured it out myself & went for a 2nd pee.  😁

Music City's show is really starting to grow on me.  Wasn't a fan at first of the original opening pieces but they're starting to work.  Visually effective uniforms.  Great overall design by S. Gwaltney?

The Crossmen are great but the show design had some strange moments last night.  After the slow opening statement, there was just dead silence from the audience after the 2nd impact section.  I think the audience was confused as the opening just didn't feel right.  Someone even stated "awkward" during the silence.  I think the changing programming order is just kind of "goofy" & some of their show is just down right boring.  But I said they're really good? 

The Cadets were really great with a vintage "Cadets' show design.  The Bocook brass arrangements along with the Aungst battery arrangements just feel right.  Much to tweak but it's going to be a fun show @finals.  I think the ballad push into the back corner will be a great effect in Lucas Oil.  

Boston Crusaders are really strong in all sections.  The combination of Gino's brass & Collin's percussion are outstanding.  The show still needs some more effect from a couple of statements but their really starting to find cohesiveness in the design.  I love "down endings" to show designs, but this ending is lacking something.  I got to see our former student & he's having a blast on his last tour.  He doesn't want it to end in 3 weeks & he really wants a medal.

Carolina Crown are defining "Right Here, Right Now".   It's such a fun show with a cool "groove" through out the show.  Harloff's brass; my God.  An incredibly technical book & they're really pulling it off.  Benedictus still needs some tweaking.  The upper brass instruments appearing through the holes in the tarp was cool effect.  But then the tarp during 'push' of the ballad was 'kind of goofy' & felt 'awkard'.  Also love Hannum's book!  Sections of this show just makes me want to dance...  

Can't wait to see the west coast groups live @Murfreesboro in a couple of weeks.  It's going to be a great championship week in Indy.  'Onward & upward'!     

Edited by keystone3ply
cx
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, dcsnare93 said:

If we were talking about Crown a few years ago, I'd agree with you. The battery consistently had clarity issues. Their execution just wasn't strong. Fast forward to now, and that's no longer really the case. They don't have a percussion problem. A spread of only .4 is also a huge improvement. 

It's not so much what they're doing, but what their peers are doing as well. Like most years, it's simply a stacked caption.

They are still .4+ behind other corps.  A winning score in finals is going to take 98+. With them being .4 behind your next 2 closest peers is still making you a 2nd level percussion. I agree they are much better than the 1 point gap they used to be but this is still a weakness when you talk about how dominating their brass can be.  It's still going to be the difference between 1st and 2nd given how close the overalls are this year.  

14 hours ago, DCIFan2022 said:

Crown's mission is to... be themselves! Original, unique, and simply Crown. Nothing to add to any "formulas" Crown is in this mission to have a good time, collaborate with students, and be an exemplar organization. Crown along with BD, Bluecoats, BCA, Vanguard (etc.) are examples of Corps that stay current, fun, and innovative! 

Let me just make it clear that from a *competitive* perspective, that’s what the mission is, I’m sure they have other main missions and goals in mind for their students aside from that, of course haha

21 hours ago, George Dixon said:

I mean they got the GE 2 judge, but so subjective, spreads elsewhere pretty consistent to a week ago

Cadets 3 across the board but some nice content scores with room to clean

Cadets are going to steal the bronze away from crown, while Boston battles with BD for gold.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 4

23 hours ago, keystone3ply said:

Back from DCI Memphis & here's my "hot take" (Get it?) from last night.  I love the way DCI communicates with their audience.  There's was no announcement about the 30 minute delay in the stadium.  So I figured it out myself & went for a 2nd pee.  😁

Music City's show is really starting to grow on me.  Wasn't a fan at first of the original opening pieces but they're starting to work.  Visually effective uniforms.  Great overall design by S. Gwaltney?

The Crossmen are great but the show design had some strange moments last night.  After the slow opening statement, there was just dead silence from the audience after the 2nd impact section.  I think the audience was confused as the opening just didn't feel right.  Someone even stated "awkward" during the silence.  I think the changing programming order is just kind of "goofy" & some of their show is just down right boring.  But I said they're really good? 

The Cadets were really great with a vintage "Cadets' show design.  The Bocook brass arrangements along with the Aungst battery arrangements just feel right.  Much to tweak but it's going to be a fun show @finals.  I think the ballad push into the back corner will be a great effect in Lucas Oil.  

Boston Crusaders are really strong in all sections.  The combination of Gino's brass & Collin's percussion are outstanding.  The show still needs some more effect from a couple of statements but their really starting to find cohesiveness in the design.  I love "down endings" to show designs, but this ending is lacking something.  I got to see our former student & he's having a blast on his last tour.  He doesn't want it to end in 3 weeks & he really wants a medal.

Carolina Crown are defining "Right Here, Right Now".   It's such a fun show with a cool "groove" through out the show.  Harloff's brass; my God.  An incredibly technical book & they're really pulling it off.  Benedictus still needs some tweaking.  The upper brass instruments appearing through the holes in the tarp was cool effect.  But then the tarp during 'push' of the ballad was 'kind of goofy' & felt 'awkard'.  Also love Hannum's book!  Sections of this show just makes me want to dance...  

Can't wait to see the west coast groups live @Murfreesboro in a couple of weeks.  It's going to be a great championship week in Indy.  'Onward & upward'!     

Thank you so much for your post! I really enjoy the evening (except that was extremely hot!)

I completely agree with you about Music City’s show! 👍🏼 
Mr. S. Gwaltney is the man! 

Cadets are getting impressively better and better everyday!

My favorite, Carolina Crown!!!

• Thanks 2

On 7/16/2022 at 9:27 PM, Reed said:

I wonder if they’ll ever play a different song just to have some variety… I mean, I get it, but it got old for me after the 2nd viewing.

On 7/16/2022 at 9:28 PM, Trumpet2 said:

The answer is no 

On 7/16/2022 at 9:30 PM, Incognito365 said:

Why would they? Changing it would make zero sense...

Let the record show…

• Haha 1