Saturday, July 16th ... “DCI Memphis” … Simmons Bank Stadium in Liberty Park … Memphis, TENNESSEE

5 minutes ago, skevinp said:

Thanks for clarifying your position on this matter.  I shudder to think how empty the world would have been with only your mysterious “HaHa” emoji to go on.

yw

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, spacewill said:

Whether you like the judges or not is not my point.  For whatever reason they have always been .4 or more points behind the other top corps.  I think they are steong, but scores matter more than what you or I type.

If we were talking about Crown a few years ago, I'd agree with you. The battery consistently had clarity issues. Their execution just wasn't strong. Fast forward to now, and that's no longer really the case. They don't have a percussion problem. A spread of only .4 is also a huge improvement. 

It's not so much what they're doing, but what their peers are doing as well. Like most years, it's simply a stacked caption.

4 hours ago, Incognito365 said:

Please tell me you had an issue with the SCV show from 2019, where they used 3 tarps that had no use at all other than blind the judges from their lack of marching that year...because if you have an issue with a piece of cloth being used during a ballad and no issue with SCV 2019, we need to have a talk. Lol.

Blinding the judges? How so? Please elaborate. 

The judges want to see different skills (SCV) than just one skill - marching and playing (Crown). Well, I guess that’s two skills.

Like it or not, that’s the judging system of today. Crown isn’t playing fully to the sheets. BAC wasn’t either in previous years, but they are this year, hence them closing the gap on Crown and likely passing Crown in the days to come.

Crown has a great brass line and an entertaining as hell show, but that’s not nearly enough. I’m struggling to see anything else that’s going to help their chances of medaling. If Boston is 0.4 down from them, then they are most certainly behind BD at this point and probably Bluecoats (even though Crown beat them at their first meeting).

Edited by henry7184
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, henry7184 said:

Blinding the judges? How so? Please elaborate. 

The judges want to see different skills (SCV) than just one skill - marching and playing (Crown). 

Like it or not, that’s the judging system of today. Crown isn’t playing fully to the sheets. BAC wasn’t either in previous years, but they are this year, hence them closing the gap on Crown and likely passing Crown in the days to come.

Crown has a great brass line and an entertaining as hell show, but that’s not nearly enough. I’m struggling to see anything else that’s going to help their chances of medaling.

The reflection of the lights off the tarp all season (once they implemented them) until Indy. If the reflection was bad on Flo, it was going to be bad for the judges. I meant it as a joke, but clearly you're the funny man around here.

5 minutes ago, Incognito365 said:

The reflection of the lights off the tarp all season (once they implemented them) until Indy. If the reflection was bad on Flo, it was going to be bad for the judges. I meant it as a joke, but clearly you're the funny man around here.

I haven’t posted in a long time and am a serial lurker. I’m familiar with your posts and your need to slam SCV because they beat Crown in 2019. You were certainly NOT joking - you did say their lacking of marching, afterall. I’m also familiar with how wrong you so often are, especially concerning Crown. Talk about being blinded. Blinded by bias. So, laugh at me all you want. Just know, I’ll be laughing at you on August 12th when you’re proven wrong again.

Edited by henry7184
  • Haha 1

Just now, henry7184 said:

I haven’t posted in a long time and am a serial lurker. I’m familiar with your posts and your need to slam SCV because they beat Crown in 2019. I doubt you meant it as a joke. I’m also familiar with how wrong you so often are, especially concerning Crown.

Okay my good sir. Clearly you need to visit my profile and educate yourself on which corps I like, but since you won't and claim to know me so much, I'll educate you anyways. 

Sure, Crown is my favorite. Everyone knows that. Funnily enough, there are others on here that express more outlandish stuff than I do for their corps, but you decided to come after me. 

SCV was one of my first loves. Discovering their shows from the late 80s and early 90s, I fell instantly in love with classics such as Russian Christmas Music, Phantom of the Opera, Miss Saigon, Fiddler on the Roof, and Inventions for a New Millennium. 1987 SCV is a very close 2nd favorite of mine still to this day, and was my favorite for several years until Crown caught my attention in 2007 with Triple Crown. 

In that time between SCV being my favorite and Crown catching my attention, I went through several love affairs with The Cavaliers and The Cadets in the early to mid 2000s, loving shows like Niagra Falls, Frameworks, Spin Cycle, 007, and The Machine from the Cavaliers and shows like Our Time is Now, An American Revival (Bugle Boy was everything that season), Our Favorite Things, The Zone, and This I Believe. 

Since 2007 I have been a Crownie. They grabbed me with Triple Crown, and while there have been shows I didn't particularly care for (2010 being a major flop in my opinion, 2018 visual design, 2017s cluttered field design), for the most part I have loved every single show they've come with since their inception into the top 6. If you have really been keeping up, I have been quick to point out design flaws in their shows. 2018 would be a prime example. I'm more harsh on "my team" than any other corps. This year truly being an exception because I truly believe they can take home their second gold.

In 2019 I was vocal about SCV v Crown. I truly believed Crown could have passed them, and that was proven right when scoring came out on finals night. They truly could have. I think they should have still. SCVs design felt like a copy/paste of 2018, and this year's feels the same from 2019. Bluecoats did the same exact thing up until Downside Up, and I have been vocal about that as well. Several corps do this, and there are a handful I've been vocal about. SCV, Bluecoats, and Blue Stars just to name a few.

As for the tarp discussion at hand, everyone #####ed about those tarps in 2019. I wasn't the only one, and I'm still not the only one. For some reason my comment grabbed your attention, and hey, that's cool. It could have created a fun discussion, but instead you decided to go for the low blow with a personal attack, claiming to know what I've posted just as someone else did earlier this season about the exact same thing. This is the one and only time I will entertain this discussion, just like I did for the last person. 

I want nothing more than for SCV, Cavies, Cadets, and Crown to be successful and fight it out every year. What I don't want is for these corps to find a formula and stick with it, becoming stale. Understand now?

If you made it this far, congrats. You're a trooper and really wanted to get to know me better so that maybe next time you see a comment from me you'll understand more about where it's coming from. 

I truly hope you have an amazing day today and the corps you pull for finds success this season. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Cappybara said:

It would improve the quality of the show significantly 

I'm so glad you clarified your position. 🤣

16 minutes ago, Incognito365 said:

Okay my good sir. Clearly you need to visit my profile and educate yourself on which corps I like, but since you won't and claim to know me so much, I'll educate you anyways. 

Sure, Crown is my favorite. Everyone knows that. Funnily enough, there are others on here that express more outlandish stuff than I do for their corps, but you decided to come after me. 

SCV was one of my first loves. Discovering their shows from the late 80s and early 90s, I fell instantly in love with classics such as Russian Christmas Music, Phantom of the Opera, Miss Saigon, Fiddler on the Roof, and Inventions for a New Millennium. 1987 SCV is a very close 2nd favorite of mine still to this day, and was my favorite for several years until Crown caught my attention in 2007 with Triple Crown. 

In that time between SCV being my favorite and Crown catching my attention, I went through several love affairs with The Cavaliers and The Cadets in the early to mid 2000s, loving shows like Niagra Falls, Frameworks, Spin Cycle, 007, and The Machine from the Cavaliers and shows like Our Time is Now, An American Revival (Bugle Boy was everything that season), Our Favorite Things, The Zone, and This I Believe. 

Since 2007 I have been a Crownie. They grabbed me with Triple Crown, and while there have been shows I didn't particularly care for (2010 being a major flop in my opinion, 2018 visual design, 2017s cluttered field design), for the most part I have loved every single show they've come with since their inception into the top 6. If you have really been keeping up, I have been quick to point out design flaws in their shows. 2018 would be a prime example. I'm more harsh on "my team" than any other corps. This year truly being an exception because I truly believe they can take home their second gold.

In 2019 I was vocal about SCV v Crown. I truly believed Crown could have passed them, and that was proven right when scoring came out on finals night. They truly could have. I think they should have still. SCVs design felt like a copy/paste of 2018, and this year's feels the same from 2019. Bluecoats did the same exact thing up until Downside Up, and I have been vocal about that as well. Several corps do this, and there are a handful I've been vocal about. SCV, Bluecoats, and Blue Stars just to name a few.

As for the tarp discussion at hand, everyone #####ed about those tarps in 2019. I wasn't the only one, and I'm still not the only one. For some reason my comment grabbed your attention, and hey, that's cool. It could have created a fun discussion, but instead you decided to go for the low blow with a personal attack, claiming to know what I've posted just as someone else did earlier this season about the exact same thing. This is the one and only time I will entertain this discussion, just like I did for the last person. 

I want nothing more than for SCV, Cavies, Cadets, and Crown to be successful and fight it out every year. What I don't want is for these corps to find a formula and stick with it, becoming stale. Understand now?

If you made it this far, congrats. You're a trooper and really wanted to get to know me better so that maybe next time you see a comment from me you'll understand more about where it's coming from. 

I truly hope you have an amazing day today and the corps you pull for finds success this season. 

Fair enough, but we traded low blows to be clear. “Clearly you’re the funny man around here” was clearly a low blow.

Those tarps SUCKED. I hated them. I was not a fan of the 2019 SCV show. It had a lot to live up to, as IMO the 2018 show was one of the greatest of all time. I do not see 2019 and 2022 as a carbon copy of 2018 or each other. I wish they were, because both are not up to the 2018 standards, IMO. We’ll see if more is added to their show.

What I took issue with in your comment was not about the awful tarps it was how the judges were blind to their lack or marching. Yes, Crown marched more than them in 2019. Crown marched more than almost everyone in 2019 but the judges want to see different skills on display, not just marching.

I wish you a great day too - perhaps we have a misunderstanding here, but yes Crown could have beaten SCV in 2019, just as BAC can beat Crown this year. BAC can beat Crown in any caption, but brass, IMO. Crown can beat BAC in any caption but guard, IMO. Crown can win brass at finals. BAC can win guard at finals. They are very even in terms of captions, but BAC has the design edge IMO. We’ll see if Music holds Crown up this year.

Edited by henry7184