DCI - DCA time to merge?

Is it time for DCI and DCA to merge into one circuit? I saw that there are only 4 World, 4 open, and 2 A groups on a scores ranking page. 

With DCI losing a few groups and DCA losing a lot of groups would it be better to just bring them all together? DCA groups already do DCI shows for feedback so why keep them separate? How long can DCA last with dwindling groups?

Could relocating the championships to Indy help resurrect some groups that can't travel to the to the Northeast?

1 minute ago, BlueStainGlass said:

Is it time for DCI and DCA to merge into one circuit? I saw that there are only 4 World, 4 open, and 2 A groups on a scores ranking page. 

With DCI losing a few groups and DCA losing a lot of groups would it be better to just bring them all together? DCA groups already do DCI shows for feedback so why keep them separate? How long can DCA last with dwindling groups?

Could relocating the championships to Indy help resurrect some groups that can't travel to the to the Northeast?

Most of the big name DCA corps are in the Northeast, so they'd incur increased expenses. It probably wouldn't fly. .

I always thought the issue with DCA was the fact that they go all the way to Labor Day.

1. College and HS band camps happen start before the season is over, so you hope Band Directors are okay with it, but are they really?
  2. Also, you have to be "hard corps" to give up your Labor Day weekend to go to Rochester or Williamsport for a long weekend. I love drum corps, but I would rather be on my Harley or on the lake (or at the beach) that weekend.
  3. It would be interesting if DCA championships were held in Indy and their finals were during late afternoon, with a two hour break, before DCI Finals started. Hmmmm? More people in the seats?
  4. Do the alumni spectacular (which I love and to me is the highlight of DCA weekend) on Friday or Saturday at noon in Indy?

I dunno. The world is changing and we are expecting the activity to stay the same.

"If you are not evolving, you're dying."
Edited by njthundrrd
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, BlueStainGlass said:

Well if DCA doesnt exist it would funnel that money into DCI so more money would be the benefit.

Think so? DCA has lost alot of attendance  over the past years and the alumni show attendance is not very well attended .. I do believe though Pre DCI was a combined convention ,VFW or legion championship conventions . Who knows maybe youre right a combination might at least show  a little increase on both ends.

1 hour ago, BlueStainGlass said:

Well if DCA doesnt exist it would funnel that money into DCI so more money would be the benefit.

What money? DCI and DCA are two groups that deal with corps that are run with different mind sets. Mainly “weekend warrior” vs touring. So people who don’t want to or can’t tour have an option. And no touring expenses means DCA dues lot cheaper. IMO it’s apples and oranges….

s/ guy who marched DCA age 16-22

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1