DCI - DCA time to merge?

A possible solution...with I&E all but dead and gone...is to have the DCA corps compete on Wednesday of DCI finals week. 
Have Open Class prelims and finals on Monday and Tuesday, as is, have the All-Age division compete on Wednesday as just a finals competition as there are so little corps to even have the need for a prelims performance, and have World Class prelims begin on Thursday, as is. The winner of the All-Age division gets to play an exhibition on Saturday evening before the Top 12 event begins. It's more drum corps for the audience to enjoy and is a win-win for all divisions of the activity. All would be done and finished long before Labor Day weekend. There, problem solved. Somebody get the powers that be on the horn and tell them we have a way to make DCI and DCA even better. :thumbup:

1 minute ago, corps8294 said:

A possible solution...with I&E all but dead and gone...is to have the DCA corps compete on Wednesday of DCI finals week. 
Have Open Class prelims and finals on Monday and Tuesday, as is, have the All-Age division compete on Wednesday as just a finals competition as there are so little corps to even have the need for a prelims performance, and have World Class prelims begin on Thursday, as is. The winner of the All-Age division gets to play an exhibition on Saturday evening before the Top 12 event begins. It's more drum corps for the audience to enjoy and is a win-win for all divisions of the activity. All would be done and finished long before Labor Day weekend. There, problem solved. Somebody get the powers that be on the horn and tell them we have a way to make DCI and DCA even better. :thumbup:

All we have to do is make sure the people who work can get off for that week. And DCI to find a way for the All Age corps to pay for the higher bus bill to Indy.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BlueStainGlass said:

But it doesnt change anything besides the parent organization.  There are already DCA groups doing the DCI shows.  The only thing that changes is the end of the season really.  With less groups and ticket revenue when does it become inoperable?

My question would be moving DCA Championships to Indy. Don’t see many DCA fans going to Indy unless they already go for DCI. On the other hand… average age at DCA when I went was not getting any younger 😬

2 hours ago, BlueStainGlass said:

Is it time for DCI and DCA to merge into one circuit?

No.

With DCI losing a few groups and DCA losing a lot of groups would it be better to just bring them all together?

As a merger - no.  Bringing them together in joint shows, as they have been doing in the Midwest and to some extent in other regions - yes.  Keep doing that.

DCA groups already do DCI shows for feedback so why keep them separate?

Here, let me restate that correctly.  DCA groups already do DCI shows for feedback so why merge them?

Could relocating the championships to Indy help resurrect some groups that can't travel to the to the Northeast?

Not likely.  The only practical time slot to bring weekend warriors together in Indy would be Saturday night, which is already taken.  Many of these corps have marchers who work weekdays... that is why DCA has no mid-week shows or "tour".  Some all-age corps have had trouble getting full turnout for a local appearance on a weeknight.

I am fine with letting the marketplace sort this out.  DCA will choose how to approach Labor Day and the multi-regional nature of all-age corps.  And each all-age corps will choose what works for them, whether it is DCA, DCI, or some of each.

48 minutes ago, corps8294 said:

Weekend warriors having an event midweek seems strange to me.

6 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

Weekend warriors having an event midweek seems strange to me.

Wonder how many corps have weekday practice sessions and what percentage of members can attend. My corps had to adjust to more Friday night and weekend practices as members were coming from further away.

• Thanks 1