DCI - DCA time to merge?

This year MIGHT not be the best example corps participation wise. Yes, the cost is significantly lower for membership with a non-touring schedule and really only a few shows that you had to get off of work to march. That being said the margins also have to be much smaller. I don't think the majority of DCA corps had any sort of contingency set in place for a global pandemic and no revenue means you have to step back and punt for a year. I would see what happens in 2023 before I could even begin to form an opinion on that question. 

Membership is significantly down this year from what I have seen. AtlantaCV is now open class and they have been top 2 for what....3 years in a row now? All spring I was getting membership drive emails (and a lot of alumni fundraising stuff.) 

My reason for marching DCA was simple. I was 32 years old and got the itch again. That was it. We had some folks that were DCI bound but the vast majority were my age or older. Now, it seems like the MAJORITY of the members are DCI bound (age wise at least.) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

Dont think so, people need to get back home to resume life on Sunday. DCI members, back to life etc etc. The cost alone for a tiny DCA crowd at LOS for the day would not even cover the lights to be on. If it were to even have 1/2 a chance to work it wouldhave to be put smack in the middle sometime to maybe get a few more people. The question would also be for the few who may attend from the DCI side how many would be lost from the DCA side to travel to Indy.

In 97, there was a big DCI two day show in Whitewater.  A week later, the Kilties had an alumni spectacular in Whitewater.  No one showed up.  Kilties took a financial bath that it took them five years for them to dig out. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, BlueStainGlass said:

I mean if they only have 10 groups they dont need quarters, semi, and finals.  So now you start losing more ticket revenue than having less groups/lost fans.  Better to think about a plan B than nothing at all.

your point is certainly valid but to clarify, DCA was never big enough to require more than prelims and finals, most years conducted on the same day.

58 minutes ago, corps8294 said:

I knew things weren't all that great for DCA; however, I didn't know they were that bad. 

Bad year due to coming back from COVID. Forget which ones but have had some go inactive or drop down in size this year. When a circuit doesn’t have that many corps to begin with it really hits.

And the Williamsport mess hurt attendance at Championships. Wasn’t there but understand the stadium was an issue.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Bad year due to coming back from COVID. Forget which ones but have had some go inactive or drop down in size this year. When a circuit doesn’t have that many corps to begin with it really hits.

And the Williamsport mess hurt attendance at Championships. Wasn’t there but understand the stadium was an issue.

That place was the worst.  All these old people and no railings on the stairs. That demographic skews older than DCI.   🤦‍♀️

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

That place was the worst.  All these old people and no railings on the stairs. That demographic skews older than DCI.   🤦‍♀️

It really is a terrible venue. Whoever designed that place needs to be beaten about the head, face and neck...with a stair railing. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

The lack of railing was biggest thing I heard. It sure as hell would have kept us away if we had been able to go. Went from be nice to go to bleep this. Was told since the stadium was built long ago it was allowed to continue to ignore current safety policies. IOW Billyport has a good local representative.

DCA made itself look bad and uncaring with this choice. And didn’t they go back the following year? 🤦‍♂️

Edited by JimF-LowBari