DCI - DCA time to merge?

33 minutes ago, Tim K said:

I’m not sure DCA has all that much money.

But how would it benefit DCI? If the decline in number of corps and people attending shows continues after such a merger which would probably be the case, it would be seen as another example of big, bad, DCI destroying drum corps. 

On 7/16/2022 at 2:38 PM, BlueStainGlass said:

Is it time for DCI and DCA to merge into one circuit? I saw that there are only 4 World, 4 open, and 2 A groups on a scores ranking page. 

With DCI losing a few groups and DCA losing a lot of groups would it be better to just bring them all together? DCA groups already do DCI shows for feedback so why keep them separate? How long can DCA last with dwindling groups?

Could relocating the championships to Indy help resurrect some groups that can't travel to the to the Northeast?

no. differing missions, and to go to DCI, DCA corps would get zero say in their world, and little to no money to appear. Plus DCI is set up to be youth only, and DCA still has folks of all ages, which throws off that off.

On 7/16/2022 at 3:37 PM, GUARDLING said:

Think so? DCA has lost alot of attendance  over the past years and the alumni show attendance is not very well attended .. I do believe though Pre DCI was a combined convention ,VFW or legion championship conventions . Who knows maybe youre right a combination might at least show  a little increase on both ends.

DCA has lost a lot because they refused to run like a business. zero marketing. the Labor day championships is a growing issue for out of the NE corps because of school and travel...and is a bit of an issue in the NE.

and while the corps are getting younger and the show design is far more modern, the fan base isn't. there's been little to no outreach to get traction with band circuits. so the audience is older, and not necessarily a fan of the modern designs. the alumni show never made money, and the alumni corps movement  in most cases is comprised of corps with no active field corps, doing shows that are based for the much older legacy fans. 

Oh and finals venues selections well.....Rochester may end up bringing in more fans than Williamsport did, but...how much more? only one corps kinda local up there. Williamsport was actually closer to a majority of the NE members. But DCA makes the deal based on how little they have to pay. 

there is a new administration in place, but it's going to take time, and they're going to have to fight some entrenched positions on some topics. they don't have an "office" or a budget to truly get out there and market. So i am not sure exactly what the answers are, but merging with DCI is not a good proposition because everything there is based on what World Class wants...and they don't like giving up $$$

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/16/2022 at 4:44 PM, corps8294 said:

A possible solution...with I&E all but dead and gone...is to have the DCA corps compete on Wednesday of DCI finals week. 
Have Open Class prelims and finals on Monday and Tuesday, as is, have the All-Age division compete on Wednesday as just a finals competition as there are so little corps to even have the need for a prelims performance, and have World Class prelims begin on Thursday, as is. The winner of the All-Age division gets to play an exhibition on Saturday evening before the Top 12 event begins. It's more drum corps for the audience to enjoy and is a win-win for all divisions of the activity. All would be done and finished long before Labor Day weekend. There, problem solved. Somebody get the powers that be on the horn and tell them we have a way to make DCI and DCA even better. :thumbup:

it'll draw about as well as the 10 am corps get on Thursday...or less. Wednesday is a big travel day for fans going to Indy. and for DCA corps, many members have jobs

On 7/16/2022 at 7:40 PM, BlueStainGlass said:

Even if they had finals on the Sunday after DCI finals I'm sure they could get more 😂

i doubt it. Sunday is huge for travel

• Like 2

😉

33 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

DCA has lost a lot because they refused to run like a business. zero marketing. the Labor day championships is a growing issue for out of the NE corps because of school and travel...and is a bit of an issue in the NE.

and while the corps are getting younger and the show design is far more modern, the fan base isn't. there's been little to no outreach to get traction with band circuits. so the audience is older, and not necessarily a fan of the modern designs. the alumni show never made money, and the alumni corps movement  in most cases is comprised of corps with no active field corps, doing shows that are based for the much older legacy fans. 

Oh and finals venues selections well.....Rochester may end up bringing in more fans than Williamsport did, but...how much more? only one corps kinda local up there. Williamsport was actually closer to a majority of the NE members. But DCA makes the deal based on how little they have to pay. 

there is a new administration in place, but it's going to take time, and they're going to have to fight some entrenched positions on some topics. they don't have an "office" or a budget to truly get out there and market. So i am not sure exactly what the answers are, but merging with DCI is not a good proposition because everything there is based on what World Class wants...and they don't like giving up $$$

Well that sums it up DUDE!...lol.....all true😉

Edited by GUARDLING

On 7/16/2022 at 8:33 PM, corps8294 said:

So, DCA is f**ked? 

maybe. it hit its lowest before this year in 1993...only 13 corps. stayed in the mid teens until A class exploded around 2004. the continued use of Labor Day weekend for finals is a huge problem for the corps outside of the Northeast, and it's been publicly stated, and as fewer corps from outside the NE attend, and a few faces up here closed up shop forever, it'd led us to this.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

The lack of railing was biggest thing I heard. It sure as hell would have kept us away if we had been able to go. Went from be nice to go to bleep this. Was told since the stadium was built long ago it was allowed to continue to ignore current safety policies. IOW Billyport has a good local representative.

DCA made itself look bad and uncaring with this choice. And didn’t they go back the following year? 🤦‍♂️

the lack of railing. the hills. parking was a mess. limited food options. but it was cheap for DCA

14 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

They did.  Less attendance than the year before.  I didn’t go back. One year there was enough for me. 

yes...the potential weather issue that moved finals and prelims to one day had to hurt as well. 

• Like 1