DCI - DCA time to merge?

12 hours ago, Poppycock said:

IMO, The majority of people really don't care one way or the other about what happens with DCA. 

Sadly this is more accurate daily. It has value if run properly 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ironlips said:

I don't think anyone wants to "kill" DCA, but if it is to be saved, it's own leadership (read "membership") will have to take on that responsibility.

I will be interested in seeing who steps up.

Thought to ponder: For years, one of the most prestigious shows was the National Dream. It was a dream because it featured 8 corps, four of the best from the "juniors" and "seniors". DCI has been running quite a few "short" shows lately.

Would folks turn out to see, for instance, the Crossmen, Colts, Madison, Reading, Bushwackers, and Cabs, each competing in their own class at the same show? Would that help with DCA recruitment?

I recall teaching a well-known west-coast corps once. We did a show on the way to Montreal, whereat a DCA corps performed in exhibition. These kids had never seen a "senior" drum corps, or even knew that league existed. (Why would they?)

Their overwhelming reaction: "Holy $#^&* !"

Of course, most of the current DCA bunch might not generate that much enthusiasm, but I can "Dream", no?

The current DCI tour doesn’t work to allow those shows like they used to. And weeknight shows are hard to get the full corps there for DCA corps 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Hershey combined show (5 Jr/5 All Age IIRC) always seemed to have a good, excited crowd also. What killed that show was owners of the stadium.

And the sponsors didn’t want to run it in a lesser venue. Plus now with dci pushing to have the circuit or the corps run as many shows as possible they’d probably be pushed out

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

Any  lost  interest in ANY part of our activity isn't good and I think effects the whole BUT often they are self inflicted wounds or a lack of knowing what needs to be done to move............forward

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

And to add on dude…. Working with band circuits. In the NE alone you have TOB, USBANDS ( which only promoted C2, Cavalcade, PIMBA, LMBA, the MD and NJ circuits, NY State and I can’t remember the circuits above NY… and I’m sure I’m missing someone somewhere. So much opportunity for outreach. BOA really isn’t much here as few bands are BOA sized. 

One has to do that work and know it's what needs to be done to survive. as I said ....self inflicted wounds

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, ironlips said:

Agreed, but as you know, The Dream was on a Sunday.

My favorite show to watch and my favorite show to march in...Skyliners 1967 thru 1970 

9 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

Yeah good management always can make a difference for sure.  I sort of think that perhaps doing something is better than doing nothing. Maybe there might be a crack in the door with someone connected for revisiting the combined Hershey venue.  I would think anything  that might generate some attendance would be good for everyone.  The more support you have for the activity the better it is for the ‘whole’.    Well  JMO.