DCI - DCA time to merge?

7 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

The lack of railing was biggest thing I heard. It sure as hell would have kept us away if we had been able to go. Went from be nice to go to bleep this. Was told since the stadium was built long ago it was allowed to continue to ignore current safety policies. IOW Billyport has a good local representative.

DCA made itself look bad and uncaring with this choice. And didn’t they go back the following year? 🤦‍♂️

I want to say they did go back the next year but I honestly don't remember. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

The lack of railing was biggest thing I heard. It sure as hell would have kept us away if we had been able to go. Went from be nice to go to bleep this. Was told since the stadium was built long ago it was allowed to continue to ignore current safety policies. IOW Billyport has a good local representative.

DCA made itself look bad and uncaring with this choice. And didn’t they go back the following year? 🤦‍♂️

I can handle stairs fine but I saw people really struggling.  And since I broke my wrist hopping down stairs like a twenty year old in 2020, I’m a lot more careful. Now I DO use the railings. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I can handle stairs fine but I saw people really struggling.  And since I broke my wrist hopping down stairs like a twenty year old in 2020, I’m a lot more careful. Now I DO use the railings. 

And when you have a family member with neuropathy and reduced feeling in her feet… whiskey Tango Foxtrot DCA….

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, BlueStainGlass said:

Everything I've ever heard about DCA finals is that its a #### show. How many groups are only taking this year off vs complete folding?

Other than lousy location in Williamsport what have you heard that it’s a a crap event? Friday night I&E open to current and previous corps members plus mini corps contest. Saturday prelims and Sunday alumnis in morning and Finals at night. IMO DCA has a problem with crowd numbers and needs to address that for good of the activity 

A few years ago this would have been a good idea. DCA had already become the "minor leagues" where youngsters went to train for DCI auditions and older players went to finish out there careers. The DCA management folks, of course, didn't see this as reality but it actually was.

At this point, DCA is on life support and has nothing to bring to the table in merger talks.

Perhaps some forward-thinking management will emerge in DCA and it can re-invent itself, possibly in a Sound Sport model.

• Thanks 1

On 7/16/2022 at 3:24 PM, BlueStainGlass said:

Well if DCA doesnt exist it would funnel that money into DCI so more money would be the benefit.

I’m not sure DCA has all that much money.

• Like 1

I’m surprised DCA has lasted as long as it has and survived the pandemic. I recall some uncertainty after the 2019 season. I think when they stopped referring to themselves as Senior Corps and became All Age, it was a necessary change but also an indication things are different. When Senior Corps were in their glory days, it was a time when in the case of men, you joined social groups like the Knights of Columbus, the Masons, the Elks, etc. there were social organizations for women too. You could join a corps instead of the Knights or Garden club. That’s not the case anymore. If you’re a parent of young children, you probably don’t have time for drum corps. Many places where there are corps are not where alums of DCI live. Young people fill some spots, but my understanding is it’s only for a year or two. Making music may be fun, but hanging out with “old people” on the weekends, and if you’re 16 old is 22, not so much fun. The fact that corps have survived is a miracle.

As far as merging DCI and DCA, there’s nothing in it to benefit DCI and DCA would lose its identity. I don’t think DCI adding an all age division is the answer either. I personally think the Open Class prelims and finals followed by Indy works well. Having them in SoundSport would not work, and my thought is most corps would resent it. That’s not to say that DCA corps could not compete in DCI events or DCI corps in DCA shows. It has happened a few times and worked well. DCI could also assist DCA in scheduling shows. I wonder if a DCA show with most competitors competed Allentown after the two nights might attract a crowd?