DCI - DCA time to merge?

44 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

IMO, The majority of people really don't care one way or the other about what happens with DCA. 

Majority of general population feels same way about DCI… 🤷🏻

(Just read an article regarding health issues where opinion was of it doesn’t affect “that many” people we shouldn’t worry about it. Just tired of percentages being used as an excuse to down or get rid of anything.)

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Poppycock said:

IMO, The majority of people really don't care one way or the other about what happens with DCA. 

I don’t know. If there is one thing we’ve learned the hard way in drum corps is once something is gone, most likely it’s gone for good. I think the demise of DCA would be a loss. Though many corps seem to be struggling, the members care deeply for what they do. Audiences may be getting older, but they are loyal. Their shows are fun. I don’t go to a huge number of DCA shows, maybe one every four or five years, but the audience is not as uptight as at some DCI shows, not all, but some. 

23 minutes ago, Tim K said:

I don’t know. If there is one thing we’ve learned the hard way in drum corps is once something is gone, most likely it’s gone for good. I think the demise of DCA would be a loss. Though many corps seem to be struggling, the members care deeply for what they do. Audiences may be getting older, but they are loyal. Their shows are fun. I don’t go to a huge number of DCA shows, maybe one every four or five years, but the audience is not as uptight as at some DCI shows, not all, but some. 

Works for me! It’s all good and there’s no need for a merger. 

6 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Majority of general population feels same way about DCI… 🤷🏻

The thread was started in DCI World Class Discussions for a reason. Perhaps because there are so many new threads in the DCA Discussion Group its difficult to keep up with them all. 😇

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

The thread was started in DCI World Class Discussions for a reason. Perhaps because there are so many new threads in the DCA Discussion Group its difficult to keep up with them all. 😇

People not liking what others like … fine.

People not understanding why others like what they like… fine

People downing what others like or kicking something when it is down…. Petty.

On 7/16/2022 at 2:38 PM, BlueStainGlass said:

Is it time for DCI and DCA to merge into one circuit? I saw that there are only 4 World, 4 open, and 2 A groups on a scores ranking page. 

With DCI losing a few groups and DCA losing a lot of groups would it be better to just bring them all together? DCA groups already do DCI shows for feedback so why keep them separate? How long can DCA last with dwindling groups?

Could relocating the championships to Indy help resurrect some groups that can't travel to the to the Northeast?

I think merging activities with different commitment levels has always proved difficult.  Look at DCI merging division II & III, it has killed off celebrating different sized corps having an avenue for success. Div III had 45 corps in prelims my first year.

Merging commitment levels could prove as disastrous.

lots not kill another scene for corps to be celebrated.

• Like 2

I don't think anyone wants to "kill" DCA, but if it is to be saved, it's own leadership (read "membership") will have to take on that responsibility.

I will be interested in seeing who steps up.

Thought to ponder: For years, one of the most prestigious shows was the National Dream. It was a dream because it featured 8 corps, four of the best from the "juniors" and "seniors". DCI has been running quite a few "short" shows lately.

Would folks turn out to see, for instance, the Crossmen, Colts, Madison, Reading, Bushwackers, and Cabs, each competing in their own class at the same show? Would that help with DCA recruitment?

I recall teaching a well-known west-coast corps once. We did a show on the way to Montreal, whereat a DCA corps performed in exhibition. These kids had never seen a "senior" drum corps, or even knew that league existed. (Why would they?)

Their overwhelming reaction: "Holy $#^&* !"

Of course, most of the current DCA bunch might not generate that much enthusiasm, but I can "Dream", no?

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, ironlips said:

I don't think anyone wants to "kill" DCA, but if it is to be saved, it's own leadership (read "membership") will have to take on that responsibility.

I will be interested in seeing who steps up.

Thought to ponder: For years, one of the most prestigious shows was the National Dream. It was a dream because it featured 8 corps, four of the best from the "juniors" and "seniors". DCI has been running quite a few "short" shows lately.

Would folks turn out to see, for instance, the Crossmen, Colts, Madison, Reading, Bushwackers, and Cabs, each competing in their own class at the same show? Would that help with DCA recruitment?

I recall teaching a well-known west-coast corps once. We did a show on the way to Montreal, whereat a DCA corps performed in exhibition. These kids had never seen a "senior" drum corps, or even knew that league existed. (Why would they?)

Their overwhelming reaction: "Holy $#^&* !"

Of course, most of the current DCA bunch might not generate that much enthusiasm, but I can "Dream", no?

Hershey combined show (5 Jr/5 All Age IIRC) always seemed to have a good, excited crowd also. What killed that show was owners of the stadium.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

On 7/17/2022 at 11:56 PM, GUARDLING said:

😉

Well that sums it up DUDE!...lol.....all true😉

And to add on dude…. Working with band circuits. In the NE alone you have TOB, USBANDS ( which only promoted C2, Cavalcade, PIMBA, LMBA, the MD and NJ circuits, NY State and I can’t remember the circuits above NY… and I’m sure I’m missing someone somewhere. So much opportunity for outreach. BOA really isn’t much here as few bands are BOA sized.