I need to know about BD 2005

Last night I watched Derby for the first time, and it was truly an unforgettable experience. And I mean that in a bad way. What in the world was this show about? Horses? Marriage? Dancing? Racing? I really enjoy abstract shows but this one was so confusingly bad. Screamer trumpets were worst I've ever heard. 

That being said, is there anyone here who marched/worked at BD or knows someone who did in 2005? Do you know what the intent of this show was? What was going on through the design process? Hoping I get answers, this is gonna drive me crazy till I die 😵

It was an old dance derby in reverse. In those events, people would dance until they dropped or just couldn’t go on any more.  Last couple standing/dancing won. It was also based on a successful winterguard show from years before…

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Reed said:

It was an old dance derby in reverse. In those events, people would dance until they dropped or just couldn’t go on any more.  Last couple standing/dancing won. It was also based on a successful winterguard show from years before…

THAT's what it was supposed to be? 🤯 At least now I understand the cots

Yowza.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Reed said:

Yep, Logan High School winter guard did a show called "They Don't Horses Shoot They?" where it was a dance marathon in reverse. It's a brilliant concept, because from a performer standpoint you get to start at one level and then build the entire show and end in an explosion of energy.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, brassboy said:

Yep, Logan High School winter guard did a show called "They Don't Horses Shoot They?" where it was a dance marathon in reverse. It's a brilliant concept, because from a performer standpoint you get to start at one level and then build the entire show and end in an explosion of energy.

Right. Hence the characterizations from very tired at the start of the show to the upbeat roll call at the end. I still like BD 2005!

• Like 2

BD 2005 at one point became one of my favorite shows to listen to.

Not sure how it happened. For a while there I only had audio from Finals from 98-2002, and then 2005. So it was one of the ones that was in rotation. And it had good tempos for pacing walking. And it was the show that won the first drum corps show I ever attended--Lake Highlands (Dallas), 2005, summer before my freshman year of high school. Our seats were around the 10 yard line in a stadium that wasn't big enough for the show it was hosting anymore. It was pretty fun.

After a while of listening to it only I thought, "huh, maybe this show isn't as bad as I remembered it being."

And then I watched it again, and immediately thought, 'never mind.'

That said, there's so much of what BD has done in the years since that shows up in that show. 'Wonderful Town' as a quiet drum feature is the test run for the drum feature in 2011 (my favorite drum feature of theirs this millennium). Emphasizing numbers in the show that happen to relate to what championship they're trying to win (a la 1930) in that couple #12 is from Concord, CA, and they were sitting on 11 titles at that point.

But it just...doesn't work.

Though it does have one of my two favorite bits of audience interaction in any show--in the Finals recording, when the announcer asks the dancers if they're ready--"YEAH"--and the audience if they're ready--the audience audibly answers "NO."

[My other favorite bit of audience interaction is the cheer that goes up in Cadets 2007 when the narrator says 'ok, let's do something with no voice.']

Also, the announcer looks nothing like he sounds. And was way too good at 20's announcer voice.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ftwdrummer said:

[My other favorite bit of audience interaction is the cheer that goes up in Cadets 2007 when the narrator says 'ok, let's do something with no voice.']

At the Stanford show...

"And when I play my trumpet, something wonderful happens!"

Me (sotto voce to the guy next to me, since I didn't want it on a recording) "Yeah....you shut up!"

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, 84BDsop said:

Me (sotto voce to the guy next to me, since I didn't want it on a recording) "Yeah....you shut up!"

Dude. You missed the chance to be a DCI legend. Shame on you. 😂