Are they even marching?

23 minutes ago, jameseuph said:

You must not be watching. There’s physical demand and simultaneous responsibility everywhere. 

He asked about marching while playing specifically. He didn’t say anything about “simultaneous responsibility.” What a strange concept to reward.

You should march and play because that’s what happens in a drum corps show, not just as one of a dozen “simultaneous responsibility” options that judges can use to jack up your score. 

Edited by Hrothgar15

27 minutes ago, jameseuph said:

You must not be watching. There’s physical demand and simultaneous responsibility everywhere. 

people are able to "see what they want to see" - my suggestion is if you're not enjoying what you are seeing CHANGE THE CHANNEL, yelling at the tv does not work 🤣

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Hrothgar15 said:

He asked about marching while playing specifically. He didn’t say anything about “simultaneous responsibility.” What a strange concept to reward.

You should march and play because that’s what happens in a drum corps show, not just as one of a dozen “simultaneous responsibility” options that judges can use to jack up your score. 

I'm not sure which era you are comparing today's drum corps with but back in the 70s and early 80s, almost every corps played 5 songs... Opener, Concert, Ballad, Drum Solo and Closer. They parked during the Concert and Ballad, did the most drill during drum solo, and did a lot of slow-moving symmetrical drill filled with boxes, basic shapes, rotating lines and company fronts... Until Zingali dropped his mic. But is that what you want to see again? Overall, I think the kids today play more intricate pieces and move more than we ever did back in those years. 

Edited by CAtenhut
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, CAtenhut said:

I'm not sure which era you are comparing today's drum corps with but back in the 70s and 80s, almost every corps played 5 songs... Opener, Concert, Ballad, Drum Solo and Closer. They parked during the Concert and Ballad, did the most drill during drum solo, and did a lot of slow-moving symmetrical drill filled with boxes, basic shapes, rotating lines and company fronts... Until Zingali dropped his mic. But is that what you want to see again? Overall, I think the kids today play more intricate pieces and move more than we ever did back in those years. 

Exactly. Everybody on here acts like they marched Zingali’s Cadets. Most shows weren’t like that, the origins of drum corps were nothing like that, and the whole marching/playing false flag is just a way to feel they have one up on today’s kids. You don’t! Listen to Elsa - let it go! 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Continental said:

So much free analysis on DCP.  

Too bad it's from armchair pop-psychology wannabes and not trained professionals. 

Hence why I speak in general terms on everything but percussion LOL. I'm a flat footed drummer who managed to not get cut most likely because I worked my ^%$ off to make up for my lack of skill. I ask a lot of questions because I would rather be informed than be right. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

You haven’t lived until you’re psychologically analyzed on DCP.

And how does that make you feel Terri? (crosses legs and puts hand on chin)

• Haha 8

Cavies have been in COVID forced standstill, but they March and play 90% of the time during their show.