Monday, July 18 “Brass Impact” College Boulevard Activity Center Olathe North West High School Olathe, KANSAS

1 minute ago, MidWAmericanArts said:

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a recap ever be so all over the place. Even with a spread of 5 points between Stars and Colts, Colts pulled a 1 on a sub caption. Wonder how things will play out for these groups. Blue Stars have a great lead, but we clearly have some mixed opinions.

That said, it would appear that each judge called it the way they saw it. So good for them.   I bet critique was interesting (do they still do critique?)

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I saw that too. Are both judges evaluating the same thing, or is one GE Music, and other GE Visual, or something like that?

Good question. It was not that long ago when the recaps clearly noted GE Music and GE Visual. I believe it changed to just GE 1 and GE 2 and I have not been as clear on how each judge approaches their caption. It may be that each judge looks at both visual and music and then the combined score is the average result. I really don't know. I'm sure some of you who are more in tune with today's sheets may know. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

Good question. It was not that long ago when the recaps clearly noted GE Music and GE Visual. I believe it changed to just GE 1 and GE 2 and I have not been as clear on how each judge approaches their caption. It may be that each judge looks at both visual and music and then the combined score is the average result. I really don't know. I'm sure some of you who are more in tune with today's sheets may know. 

From DCI’s website:

Responsibilities: One of the GE judges has a music background and the other has a visual background, but each utilizes the same judging sheet because they are effectively judging the entire show, not just the effect of the music offering or the effect of the visual production. GE judges must be the most experienced, most knowledgeable, and most flexible members of the audience. Plus, they know how to manage numbers in order to give a proper score. The GE judges are doing the romantic job, they’re feeling what the show is offering and responding to what the show is. There are three parts to GE, the intellectual, the aesthetic, and the emotional.

Edited by henry7184
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

Ever since the rule change for the GE caption in 2016(?), DCI made it clear that 1 judge (or 2 at regionals/champs) came from a music judging background, while the other came from a visual judging background. However, whereas in the past those judges would stick to the GE of just the music or just the visual presentation, the change in terminology means that the judging approach for this caption is much more holistic than before.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, henry7184 said:

From DCI’s website:

Responsibilities: The GE judges are doing the romantic job, they’re feeling what the show is offering and responding to what the show is. There are three parts to GE, the intellectual, the aesthetic, and the emotional.

Clearly one judge was feeling the romance in Cavaliers show more than the other one! 😂

Edited by NakedEye
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, TomVV said:

August 18, 1979, DCI finals, was the last time Blue Stars beat thee Cavaliers. Nearly 43 years!

...and a WIN is a WIN!

Go stars!

• Like 5

• Members
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

I just got home. from the show.  All corps performed well and most were marching holes.

Madison Scouts had some good moments.  There is a definite difference in sound between them and Blue Stars, Phantom Regiment, and Cavaliers.  I do see a lot of improvement in design from previous years.

Colts have a nice show.  I wish they marched a larger guard as I feel this is hurting them.  I also would have more field coverage as they were in between the 30 yeard line for most of the show.  Their trombones really play!  

Phantom Regiment has a really nice sound and tone quality.  I really like this show live.  They use the field well and their horns produce a big sound.  I am still unsure of the large purple fabric they use in the ballad.  I like them more in person than on video.  There were times when the props didn't line up properly, especially towards the end of the show.  

Blue Stars use a lot of props!  This is a very good corps.  The group that I was with felt that some of the color choices could be better.  I also am wondering if using that many props may hold them back.  Anyhow, there is a lot of potential in this show..  Once this show gets cleaned up and a few adjustments are made, I think the Blue Stars could make some noise!

Cavaliers were very exciting tonight.  They must have added a couple more guard members since the earlier shows that I saw on video.  They did march a couple holes tonight.  The horn line sure has some difficult playing!  Though the guard is very good, there were at least 5 drops tonight.  This show will score high by the end of the season.  It is entertaining and complex. 

• Like 1