Tuesday, July 19th “DCI Broken Arrow” …. Tiger Stadium Broken Arrow High School … Broken Arrow, OKLAHOMA

Just now, saxfreq1128 said:

I don’t think BD won brass either,  but that’s based on Flo, so it’s worth nil. Like with all of these performance categories, unless we were watching it from the judges’ vantage (not the stands and definitely NOT Flo, youtube, etc) claiming to know better is a little much. We simply have no idea how it sounded from where they were standing.   

GE is a different story. 

Weird GE night. Bordering on random. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, jaylogan said:

This is my favorite part of the night! Gotta pop the popcorn!

trey-tre.gif

ABBD Crowd when BD won tonight.

LMAO!!!!!!

GOD I LOVE THE HATERS!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

7 minutes ago, Newseditor44 said:

I think the judges are just making #### up at this point.

Someone please explain GE to us, in English, like we’re all 4th graders, so we can get It. Cause I have no effing clue what constitutes GE anymore.

Not trying to be smart here, but I can’t count how many Crown fans I’ve seen talk about how their show was a GE monster, ahead of its time, revolutionary, etc… with all due respect to Crown and their incredible performers, the design is not going to carry them to first. The app isn’t GE. The gigantic random fabric in the ballad isn’t GE. There are so many design questions I have as I watch that show.

As for explaining GE, the best thing I can say is having a cohesive product, where there is musical intent with visual that reflects it. A good design flows well from idea to idea. Pacing is CRITICAL. Variety is critical. Blue Devils excel in these areas.

Honestly, some times I explain it as this… imagine designing and teaching these programs to a corps. Which ones are well though out, creative, and elaborate? Which ones are deep with layers and sophisticated? Now… which ones look similar to a high school marching band that you think you could teach? 9 out of 10 times, if it feels simple enough for a high school marching band, it’s probably not a great design.

Sometimes, I feel like when fans resonate with an idea that feels familiar, they think it’s a good design. That’s not always true (and it often isn’t).

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

1 minute ago, TigerBaritone19 said:

Pretty sure you quoted him first and started this s^*#. He said he is happy with 2nd for Crown and that many people said crown would be 4-5 tonight. Nothing wrong with what he said but what you said was childish. Didn’t even watch the show and think you know better than anyone here

Don’t feed the trolls. Happy to provide him a link to RAMD if he wants to pick fights. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BWise said:

Weird GE night. Bordering on random. 

As always, the GE tapes are the ones I want to hear most lol  

• Like 1

GE I think is a interesting scenario because these modern day productions have soooo much going on. It’s hard to focus the impacts of the show. BD has a different way of presenting their theme. I almost hardly notice the “stage” this year. BD’s design team knows how to move the focus around making more highlighted and impactful.

• Like 5

Meat and potatoes people.  What is putting Blue Devils ahead of the rest is their book.  They have the most sustained sections of playing actual music…not just little fanfares and movie background music.  They have the longest sustained ballad of any of the top corps with Boston coming in next.  Some may prefer “innovation” and flash, but maybe some judges prefer music and Melodies over gimmicks.

That said, all the corps performed at an extremely high level and are supremely talented and are all winners 🏆.  This is a thoroughly enjoyable season.  So glad drum corps is back 😁👏🏼

Edited by rideyourbike
Adding to comment
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, TigerBaritone19 said:

I was trying to be nice but you just seem to be an a**hole. Again, watch the show rather than follow the thread and then make assumptions

Yeah. I will apologize you to. I did edit my post as quickly as I could but you caught it before I edited. Everything you said was right. If you go back you can see I had edited. It’s true, but it is what it is.