Tuesday, July 19th “DCI Broken Arrow” …. Tiger Stadium Broken Arrow High School … Broken Arrow, OKLAHOMA

1 minute ago, FTNK said:

I have like 3 of those wallet things

Goody’s got it!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, DrummerParent said:

This would make sense- seems they should label it that way.  But I think I read that used to be the case but is no longer?

the sheet is overall effect. but they do assign one person from the visual side and one from the music side. when the panels is doubled it's 2 of each

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

Please tell me I wasn't the only one in the 90s spending my afternoons in Sam Goody's music store, going thru CDs for hours lol.

I’m older than you.  My place was the Crows Nest in Crest Hill, Illinois.  Albums and it was also a head shop.  Not that I needed that part of the store! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cappybara said:

I think this is more of a case of BD just being way more well-rounded than everyone else rather than just being flat out better than everyone else like they were with Felliniesque 

4 hours ago, Cappybara said:

I think this is more of a case of BD just being way more well-rounded than everyone else rather than just being flat out better than everyone else like they were with Felliniesque 

i can kinda buy that

Just a couple of comments as I'm extremely late to the party (pal). 

1. @IllianaLancerContra- How did that Over/Under on the # of pages in replies to this thread turn out? (LOL..don't answer)

2. Count me as one a little surprised at the winning spread. I sure didn't see that coming. Tells quite a bit. 

3. How many noise complaints did the Broken Arrow PD get last night from all those apartment dwellings right behind the stadium? Good thing Phantom wasn't in the show. 

4. BACs percussion is about a millimeter away from winning Drums in Indy. They're sickly-good. 

Edited by OldSnareDrummer
  • Haha 1

After watching the show again, I'm realizing that I really don't love too many of the endings this year. BD's is just eh, Crown screaming "right here, right now", BC's and SCV's seem long and dragged out, Boston's is quiet. 

So who has your favorite endings this year... endings that get people to jump out of their seats while the final note is still playing - Cadets, Phantom and Mandarins maybe?

EDIT: I know these endings will change and evolve over the final weeks. 

Edited by CAtenhut

1 hour ago, jjeffeory said:

That Broken Arrow crowd is full of band geeks. They're going to eat up everything that EVERY corps does, just like the Muncie, IN show.  There are too many marching band folks too close for them NOT to be enthusiastic about some marching band.

Look, I HATE the 1st 1/3 of BD show, and like the last 2/3 this year.  The props are very well designed and integrated into the show.  Cowboy bee bop was great until the Arban's tack on.  There was some visual dirt and mass guard drops in the show.  There were some noticeable brass issues last night.  The music is disjointed, but I recognize that they've worked and tweaked the transitions in Moon River.  More work needs to happen on the 1st third of the show.

Aside from the design choices that I typically dislike inherit in a BD show with the current music arrangers, they had some issues that were worse than Crown, BAC, or Bluecoats, yet they don't get called out on them the way other corps do, they just lose a tenth or two and still end up in a 1-3 ish ordinal.

Other corps get slammed to the point that they slip a placement.  It's the BD effect. 

I believe that BD is absolutely a top 4 corps, and very likely a top 3 corps based on design, but the performance hardly EVER gets criticised the way it should.

The guard should have been 4th last night. The music should have been 3rd. I heard miss articulations and tuning issues.

Boston is noticeable cleaner visually. Crown is cleaner visually. Crown's brass was better than BD's, and I can not comment on percussion.

Anyway, it doesn't matter, I just feel that other corps are getting the credit that THEY deserve compared to BD.

I just see things beyond the qualitative judging.

Ignoring everything else, I’m not sure how you can say crown was cleaner in anything last night other than guard 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, CAtenhut said:

After watching the show again, I'm realizing that I really don't love too many of the endings this year. BD's is just eh, Crown screaming "right here, right now", BC's and SCV's seem long and dragged out, Boston's is quiet. 

So who has your favorite endingsthis year... endings that get people to jump out of their seats while the final note is still playing - Cadets, Phantom and Mandarins maybe?

I wouldn't count many of these as ending yet, even though technically they are. I'd rather call them placement thus far. But one of my favorite is The Mandarins.... 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Ignoring everything else, I’m not sure how you can say crown was cleaner in anything last night other than guard 

I mean, I didn't hear intonation issues in Crown like I did with BD sops at times.

BD sounded mostly fantastic, but Crown played without intonation issues the whole show.

Just my opinion.

Sorry about breaking DCP for a bit...

• Haha 1