Tuesday, July 19th “DCI Broken Arrow” …. Tiger Stadium Broken Arrow High School … Broken Arrow, OKLAHOMA

1 hour ago, bgg80 said:

“HATE the first 1/3 of the show”.  #### … that’s intense dude! I’m sure any BD member who read this would … laugh? I’m not sure if anything put in the field by these amazing kids and every corps would even qualify for anything close to HATE.

For me, the inevitable “others don’t get credit that BD does” is drivel.  BD typically fields a corps and show with no weaknesses  And in particular, BD unassailable strength (typically) is they move better than any corps this year, and consistently for the past decade+ since the Cavies we’re kicking tail in 2000s. Visually, they are the standard, and consistently get rewarded for it. 

One interesting angle that I haven’t seen discussed: BD has a new brass caption head, and I believe are playing new horns?  I think they sound different.  Lusher.  Mellos are … wow.  For BD standards, brass has been a tad off in the 2H of the 2010s (if you can call 3rds or 4ths (2019 finals!) off. I wonder BD’s brass is the real X factor in 2022.  

Final thought: I think BAC is the dark horse.  Some 2008 PR vibe to me …

tenor.gif

2 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

I mean, I didn't hear intonation issues in Crown like I did with BD sops at times.

BD sounded mostly fantastic, but Crown played without intonation issues the whole show.

Just my opinion.

Sorry about breaking DCP for a bit...

Sorry, I thought you were talking visually. I agree crown brass was cleaner 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

Just a couple of comments as I'm extremely late to the party (pal). 

1. @IllianaLancerContra- How did that Over/Under on the # of pages in replies to this thread turn out? (LOL..don't answer)

2. Count me as one a little surprised at the winning spread. I sure didn't see that coming. Tells quite a bit. 

3. How many noise complaints did the Broken Arrow PD get last night from all those apartment dwellings right behind the stadium? Good thing Phantom wasn't in the show. 

4. BACs percussion is about a millimeter away from winning Drums in Indy. They're sickly-good. 

I fessed up to #1 about 50 pages ago

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Sorry, I thought you were talking visually. I agree crown brass was cleaner 

Oh sorry,

Well, drill-wise, they both had good and bad. Bluecoats had a lot of issues with all their holes too.

Guard-wise, Devils had a moment where five or six rifles dropped at the same time. They also had other sync issues and various stick outs.  Honestly, all the guards, except the Cavaliers were really good last night. This is a matter of degree.

That famous company front of BD looked nice and crisp until it started breaking up and morphing at the end of it though.  BD has several good "drill" ideas this year, and their prop use is probably the best out of the class this year, imho. It's a sexy prop, and they use it well.  I think Mandarins and Phantom Regiment also have top of the line props.  Heck, BAC, Blue Stars, and Bluecoats all use props well.

The Cavaliers had the first series of drops up to that point in the show, so you know that I'm calling all the corps out. Also, the Cavaliers don't really use their props that well, imho.

My point is, that BD has some issues and they shouldn't be popping those numbers relative to their peers.

They'll likely get there in a couple of weeks, but they're getting too much credit now.

Edited by jjeffeory
  • Haha 1

Just my general thoughts after watching last night.  General disclaimers - not live, first reads for most, etc.

Generally I feel like each of the Top shows has flaws and generally speaking I did not love any of them.  And what that usually means in a DCI season is that BD will in Indy.  And based on last night, I would not argue against that.

Crown's show was just too much.  It had Phantom 1991 and 1992 levels of fabric. It had an attempt at times to be Bluecoats from something like kinetic noise.  It had the Cadets drill from Power of X and the Christmas show.  Then it had the classic 1980s drum feature move where the hornline uses a cape or maybe a flag to add visual stuff. They chose Garfield's 1988 ribbons.  And finally I think this is the heir apparent to New Era and Do Better.  Too much.  And the cheese at the beginning is just annoying.  It is such a shame because all of the parts are there.  That hornline! A much improved guard who earned that 1 in performance. And a salvageable drumline.  Just a shame they are hamstrung by this mess of a show.

BD had me from Moonriver on.  The beginning just felt like it was going in fits and starts.  They will figure it out I am sure.

Boston this year is so much more enjoyable to me than years past.  I love the clarity on the field and their effective use of the props.  I that they have room to grow.

SCV had moments.  And the drumline is what it always is.  And I did enjoy all of the flag work by the guard.  I also liked their uniforms way more that 2019.  But the show just seems flat.  And I fear that maxing out performance levels can't make up for it.  

Finally, I did not think Bluecoats had a solid run yesterday.  Once again a supremely talented corps from top to bottom, but the vehicle they have been given this year just won't get it done.  And the actual words being spoken in their narration (not the fact that it is narration) is possibly the most insipid I have seen in DCI.  And yes it may be from the source material, but insipid is insipid.  

I reserve my right to completely change my mind when seeing them live at the end of the year.  It is not uncommon for me to underwhelmed at first, but totally changed at Indy.  So please don't come for me!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, BlueStainGlass said:

I hope Gabe Trotter is here for this take of his on DCP FB 

Lmao. Shoutout BD for moving like 4 times in their show. Every other corps is out there working hard while BD stands still for 10 minutes and waits for the judges to hand them a ring. They dance from amorphous blob to amorphous blob and then stand for 45 seconds to play their horns. The “epic” ending to the show is them marching at like 120 bpm for a minte and a half. The arrangement of moon river is too much. They tried to add too much to it and it comes out as a hot mess. No amount of good players can fix an arrangement that sounds like someone’s cat ran across their keyboard and they decided to just go with it. Before any of you try to hit me with the “wElL tHe JuDgEs SeEm To DiSaGrEe” I don’t care. If you watched that show and legitimately thought it was two points better than any other corps that performed you’re delusional. They could go out and sit on the ground in silence the whole time and some of y’all would still be saying it’s “genius” or “revolutionary”. Stop letting the judges scoresheet tell you what is good and what isn’t. If their name didn’t carry as much weight as it does they would be getting railed by everyone on this page and at every competition they went to.about how the show is mind numbingly easy. I have fully prepared my mind and body for the comment section so bring it on.

Some people are just messy. What was the point of bringing someones FB post/comment here, when they probably aren't even members? Does it make you feel good to make fun of a college student? Validation? Some people want to talk about bullies, then want to post stuff like this, react to it with a laughing face. Humility is much needed for several members of this forum. 

• Like 2

I had to drive home from work during the bulk of the show, so I only got to listen to it through the Flo app on my phone into my car speakers. I had the volume on both up to max, and the resultant volume during the corps performances was just shy of optimal. Anyway, just listening to the music, here are my impressions:

When I listen to Bluecoats and BAC, I feel like I am listening to a (very abbreviated) broadway-style show. All the parts fit together and tell the story.

When I listen to Blue Devils, I feel like I am watching the top flight side shows at a carnival. You go to one side show booth, they do something amazing. Then the show promoters hurry you on to the the next booth, and THEY do something completely different but equally amazing. Then the next booth...

When I listen to SCV, I feel like I am on the Carousel of Progress ride at Disney. You hear the same song over and over again, but each time it is a little different as you go around to the various scenes.

When I listen to Crown, I feel like I am at a concert designed by a motivational speaker or a corporate team builder. A really, REALLY, good concert, with a lot of positive image instruction thrown in.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Precious Roy said:

When I listen to SCV, I feel like I am on the Carousel of Progress ride at Disney. You hear the same song over and over again, but each time it is a little different as you go around to the various scenes.

This is good.

14 minutes ago, Tony L. said:

Just my general thoughts after watching last night.  General disclaimers - not live, first reads for most, etc.

Generally I feel like each of the Top shows has flaws and generally speaking I did not love any of them.  And what that usually means in a DCI season is that BD will in Indy.  And based on last night, I would not argue against that.

Crown's show was just too much.  It had Phantom 1991 and 1992 levels of fabric. It had an attempt at times to be Bluecoats from something like kinetic noise.  It had the Cadets drill from Power of X and the Christmas show.  Then it had the classic 1980s drum feature move where the hornline uses a cape or maybe a flag to add visual stuff. They chose Garfield's 1988 ribbons.  And finally I think this is the heir apparent to New Era and Do Better.  Too much.  And the cheese at the beginning is just annoying.  It is such a shame because all of the parts are there.  That hornline! A much improved guard who earned that 1 in performance. And a salvageable drumline.  Just a shame they are hamstrung by this mess of a show.

BD had me from Moonriver on.  The beginning just felt like it was going in fits and starts.  They will figure it out I am sure.

Boston this year is so much more enjoyable to me than years past.  I love the clarity on the field and their effective use of the props.  I that they have room to grow.

SCV had moments.  And the drumline is what it always is.  And I did enjoy all of the flag work by the guard.  I also liked their uniforms way more that 2019.  But the show just seems flat.  And I fear that maxing out performance levels can't make up for it.  

Finally, I did not think Bluecoats had a solid run yesterday.  Once again a supremely talented corps from top to bottom, but the vehicle they have been given this year just won't get it done.  And the actual words being spoken in their narration (not the fact that it is narration) is possibly the most insipid I have seen in DCI.  And yes it may be from the source material, but insipid is insipid.  

I reserve my right to completely change my mind when seeing them live at the end of the year.  It is not uncommon for me to underwhelmed at first, but totally changed at Indy.  So please don't come for me!

Spot on!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cappybara said:

YUP! The crowds have been eating their show up. It may not be well received on DCP, but the average fan is enjoying it. Based off some comments on Reddit from people who attended the broken arrow show, the show is way better in person than on Flo. I personally cannot wait to experience it in person 10 days from now

ANY show is better live than on Flo where what you see is the perspective of a wide angle lens and Flo's mic placements.  I saw BD's show in Sacramento; it is both visually (especially visually) and audibly miles above the "Flo experience". 

Unfortunately, that is one of the major pitfalls of having to rely on a streaming vs. live view.  Unless one is lucky enough to live where one can attend a major show, one's experience with many corps will be limited, and not all that accurate.