Tuesday, July 19th “DCI Broken Arrow” …. Tiger Stadium Broken Arrow High School … Broken Arrow, OKLAHOMA

1 hour ago, BlueStainGlass said:

Crazy to think how close cavies could get to that 11th prediction 

Seriously??? All your comments on these boards need asterisks by them when you’re comparing Blue Stars or any corps for that matter and The Cavaliers. Take any corps off the field for 2 weeks and see how they do. Just remember What they say about kharma…….this can happen to any corps.

***Cavaliers out for two weeks due to Covid.

Edited by GREENBLUE
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, blakman7 said:

I'm not a fan of BD in the least but I give credit where credit is due and your post is spot on. Darn it, you're right. Like BD or not, their designers, staff and members understand the system and play into it......and very well may I add. Therefore they haven't placed less than 4th and medal every year since God knows how long. The way that I look at it, as long as they keep winning....the more that every other corps will get stronger in efforts to dethrone them and that's exciting. With that being said, congrats to the guys/gals of Concord. 

I got censored for a word that starts with s- and ends with -natch, really surprised me😂

1 hour ago, GREENBLUE said:

Seriously??? All your comments on these boards need asterisks by them when you’re comparing Blue Stars and The Cavaliers. Take any corps off the field for 2 weeks and see how they do. Just remember What they say about kharma…….this can happen to any corps.

***Cavaliers out for two weeks due to Covid.

That poster has consistently disliked the Cavaliers over the course of DCP, as you have read...

I'm sure it has given them great pleasure to see Blue Stars finally get some wins over a corps that has been operating with one hand tied behind their back.

It's all good. I'm not a huge fan of the Cavalier's show design this year, but I bet they're going to come roaring back by finals...

Edited by jjeffeory
  • Like 1

Great show last night. I thought the judges got the placements exactly right. I was surprised by the spread a the top but did think Blue Devils were clearly the best corps last night. I am looking forward to San Antonio and the possibility of placement changes in the 2-4 group. 

I think SCV will stay in 5th for the time being. Not sure if that will change this year.

Blue Stars, in my opinion, have a very good shot at 6th at finals. It will be interesting to see how they stack up score wise with the Cadets on Friday. Normally I would say two days of rehearsal should mean a jump in score this weekend, and I still think we will see it, but the heat might shorten some of their time on the field. I do expect Blue Stars will introduce some new elements on Friday. I assume cadets are doing the same this week. 

The time off obviously hurt the Cavaliers. They certainly will be working hard to climb up the ranks as quickly as possible, but I am not sure the Blue Stars would not have beaten a healthy Cavaliers last night. They were closing the gap on them before Covid hit. I think the Blue Stars have a better show. 

I think the Blue Knights have some work to do but have the show that can keep them in finals. It will be interesting to see how much they improve between now and Atlanta. If they are in the top 12 next Saturday, they should be fine in Indianapolis. 

• Like 5

43 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

I've said it for many years regarding BD. They get the benefit of the doubt when there's an issue.

I specifically remember hearing some trumpet dirt in their '1930' show in Riverside, and the judges had them ahead despite the obvious issues.

In 2019 I heard brass issues show after show, especially at the San Bernardino show, and later shows, and they still were beating the Cavaliers in brass until the end. It took all season for someone to call them out on their brass.

Last night they had some very noticeable guard issues, that were picked up in the guard score, but totally ignored in the visual captions.  Yes, I think the BD use their props better than everyone else. Their design is the best. ...that, however, shouldn't boost the numbers to the point of being better than everyone else when they have some issues to address. Caption Bleed galore...

...and 1.7 points with THAT show? Yawn

Honestly, I'm not feeling this season so far. Lots of disappointing shows. There's not a lot of cohesion in so many of the designs, including BD, SCV, Cavaliers, and Crown. It's just a bunch of stuff that they're trying to mix together that doesn't mix together, and it shows.

Bluecoats have done a good job of being more cohesive than the other corps previously mentioned.

Cadets have done a wonderful job of coordinating all the pieces of music into a cohesive and pleasing package.

Phantom Regiment has done an excellent job of constructing a cohesive and pleasing design.

Blue Stars have done a great job, but I don't totally love the show despite WANTING to love the show.

Mandarins might have the most cohesive show, imho.

Boston is refining and layering, and are better than the first group I mentioned, and I hope they can add more.

Troopers show makes sense, but Crossmen's show doesn't really. Blue Knights is disjointed. Colts' show makes sense. Music City's design is cohesive, and flows well. 

Everyone, except the Cavaliers are cleaning up nicely. I do hope that other corps don't get sick.

...and if this type of design, aka the TM, is what the judges are going to reward then I'm going to severely cut back on my future ticket purchasing.

BD's winning is a symptom of a greater problem in the activity. One organization has become too powerful and too influential in the marching band and drum corps arena. That happens when you own the two largest marching band circuits in America (Western Bands and USBands), and are planning on starting a winter guard circuit as well ( if what I've been told is true). It is a winning business model for ONE organization.

This situation isn't likely to ever change until fans start voting with their feet with ticket purchase and FLO subscriptions.

As I've been saying forever. The emperor has NO clothes!

Another corps umbrella organization needs to do this too... **cough** Boston.

The other winter guard circuit definitely has the feels of the power grab, but I’m also a bit iffy on how influential those marching circuits are, even if it is the largest, as their influence definitely varies from location to location. I don’t really follow USBands all that much to be fair

Edited by Vidal28Rdg
  • Like 1

I’m not a big fan of BD, but have to give them credit where it is due.

BD’s designers nail what the sheets reward with a frequency and variety that the others are not matching. That wins them GE. Add the depth of coordination across audio/visual elements, sections, and members: BD wins analysis. BD’s execution is also reliably high. 

Others are doing these things, but not as densely, variedly, originally, or as cohesively coordinated.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

That poster has consistently disliked the Cavaliers over the course of DCP, as you have read...

I'm sure it given them great please to see Blue Stars finally get some wins over a corps that has been operating with one hand tied behind their back. It's all good. I'm not a huge fan of the Cavalier's show design this year, but I bet they're going to come roaring back by finals...

Agreed. You and I both know there needs to be a few changes made to the Cavaliers design team if they want to compete for the top 3 again. But people commenting on the Cavaliers like it’s been an equal playing field this season is ludicrous. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Chief Guns said:

And this is why if I was BD, I wouldn't give a crap what people think. Because no matter what you do, people will ALWAYS find a reason to not like something you do. 

I have said this before, BD can come out and do a show where they are marching 230 BPM for 11 straight minutes with death defying breakneck drill, ending the show on a company front with the horn line pushing a volume that moves the stands five feet off it's foundation. Guess what? Some still won't like it, some will still be here on this forum whining and complaining like 5th graders. 

I know people who hate Babylon cause SCV (LOST THEIR WAY.......their words) moving away from their traditional uniforms.

I know people who don't like Downside Up because they think all the time Bloo spent going up and down the slides, they could have been playing their instruments (Again their words).

Heck I know people who hate Spartacus, because they feel the DCI Activity shouldn't promote violence and have kids acting out killings/murders in shows and being rewarded for it. LMAO.

I wholeheartedly disagree with all of it, and I find it ridiculous and rather funny, but again no matter what you do, people will always find a reason not to like something, especially in this "Mob Mentality" society we live in now. 

In my personal opinion, BD has better things to do than chase the "Holy Approval" from DCP that will never be achieved. 

Incoming 💣 

just kidding.  There were a few years in the 2000’s that I didn’t care for BD’s shows.  But since 2014, I’ve been very Impressed.    I was a fan from way back.  I have their 80’s collection CD.  I love that CD.  I’d fight to the death to keep it.   I’m glad they’re back to wowing me and I’m whistling their music in the shower again.  

• Like 5