Tuesday, July 19th “DCI Broken Arrow” …. Tiger Stadium Broken Arrow High School … Broken Arrow, OKLAHOMA

6 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

And this is why if I was BD, I wouldn't give a crap what people think. Because no matter what you do, people will ALWAYS find a reason to not like something you do. 

I have said this before, BD can come out and do a show where they are marching 230 BPM for 11 straight minutes with death defying breakneck drill, ending the show on a company front with the horn line pushing a volume that moves the stands five feet off it's foundation. Guess what? Some still won't like it, some will still be here on this forum whining and complaining like 5th graders. 

I know people who hate Babylon cause SCV (LOST THEIR WAY.......their words) moving away from their traditional uniforms.

I know people who don't like Downside Up because they think all the time Bloo spent going up and down the slides, they could have been playing their instruments (Again their words).

Heck I know people who hate Spartacus, because they feel the DCI Activity shouldn't promote violence and have kids acting out killings/murders in shows and being rewarded for it. LMAO.

I wholeheartedly disagree with all of it, and I find it ridiculous and rather funny, but again no matter what you do, people will always find a reason not to like something, especially in this "Mob Mentality" society we live in now. 

In my personal opinion, BD has better things to do than chase the "Holy Approval" from DCP that will never be achieved. 

For me, it's pretty simple.  Do they give their members a good experience? Yep.  Do they have lots and lots of people who look forward to auditioning to be a part of that experience? Yep.  In my experience, membership cares about winning championships, sure, but the idea that it's all that matters to the majority who choose to march with the corps?  Nope.  Leave that for crazies on social media to obsess over.  

• Like 6

26 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

And this is why if I was BD, I wouldn't give a crap what people think. Because no matter what you do, people will ALWAYS find a reason to not like something you do. 

I have said this before, BD can come out and do a show where they are marching 230 BPM for 11 straight minutes with death defying breakneck drill, ending the show on a company front with the horn line pushing a volume that moves the stands five feet off it's foundation. Guess what? Some still won't like it, some will still be here on this forum whining and complaining like 5th graders. 

I know people who hate Babylon cause SCV (LOST THEIR WAY.......their words) moving away from their traditional uniforms.

I know people who don't like Downside Up because they think all the time Bloo spent going up and down the slides, they could have been playing their instruments (Again their words).

Heck I know people who hate Spartacus, because they feel the DCI Activity shouldn't promote violence and have kids acting out killings/murders in shows and being rewarded for it. LMAO.

I wholeheartedly disagree with all of it, and I find it ridiculous and rather funny, but again no matter what you do, people will always find a reason not to like something, especially in this "Mob Mentality" society we live in now. 

In my personal opinion, BD has better things to do than chase the "Holy Approval" from DCP that will never be achieved. 

Yup, they're too busy running a business to worry about being a fan favorite all the time or even most of the time. I mean it's hard to piece together 11 minutes of coolness  every year.

22 minutes ago, Lance said:

For me, it's pretty simple.  Do they give their members a good experience? Yep.  Do they have lots and lots of people who look forward to auditioning to be a part of that experience? Yep.  In my experience, membership cares about winning championships, sure, but the idea that it's all that matters to the majority who choose to march with the corps?  Nope.  Leave that for crazies on social media to obsess over.  

I think calling people 'crazies' is a bit of hyperbole.

Not everyone with a criticism is a crazy.  If we're all agreeing all of the time, then it's really not a good conversation.

I make a statement and back it up with reasons. That's not how crazy works.  

Best wishes, Lance! Glad to know you're around!

My first DCI championship I attend was in 1976 in Philadelphia. Since then I have probably attended  25 or so finals in person and watched the others on television or online. I can think of maybe two years where i thought the judges got it wrong at the top. I cannot come up with one example of a Blue Devils win that I thought was not deserved. Last night, to me, it was obvious they would win the show. 

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

I think BD "ARE" fan favorites, especially since 2014. They just will never be "THE" fan favorite, because they have too much for that title.

Crowd reaction last night and so far this year says they are digging BD.

That Broken Arrow crowd is full of band geeks. They're going to eat up everything that EVERY corps does, just like the Muncie, IN show.  There are too many marching band folks too close for them NOT to be enthusiastic about some marching band.

Look, I HATE the 1st 1/3 of BD show, and like the last 2/3 this year.  The props are very well designed and integrated into the show.  Cowboy bee bop was great until the Arban's tack on.  There was some visual dirt and mass guard drops in the show.  There were some noticeable brass issues last night.  The music is disjointed, but I recognize that they've worked and tweaked the transitions in Moon River.  More work needs to happen on the 1st third of the show.

Aside from the design choices that I typically dislike inherit in a BD show with the current music arrangers, they had some issues that were worse than Crown, BAC, or Bluecoats, yet they don't get called out on them the way other corps do, they just lose a tenth or two and still end up in a 1-3 ish ordinal.

Other corps get slammed to the point that they slip a placement.  It's the BD effect. 

I believe that BD is absolutely a top 4 corps, and very likely a top 3 corps based on design, but the performance hardly EVER gets criticised the way it should.

The guard should have been 4th last night. The music should have been 3rd. I heard miss articulations and tuning issues.

Boston is noticeable cleaner visually. Crown is cleaner visually. Crown's brass was better than BD's, and I can not comment on percussion.

Anyway, it doesn't matter, I just feel that other corps are getting the credit that THEY deserve compared to BD.

I just see things beyond the qualitative judging.

Edited by jjeffeory
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

That Broken Arrow crowd is fully of band geeks. They're going to eat up everything, just like the Muncie, IN show.  There are too many marching band folks too close.

Look, I HATE the 1st 1/3 of BD show, and like the last 2/3 this year.  The props are very well designed and integrated into the show.  Cowboy bee bop was great until the Arban's tack on.  There was some visual dirt and mass guard drops in the show.  There were some noticeable brass issues last night.  The music is disjointed, but I recognize that they've worked and tweaked the transitions in Moon River.  More work needs to happen on the 1st third of the show.

Aside from the design choices that I typically dislike inherit in a BD show with the current music arrangers, they had some issues that were worse than Crown, BAC, or Bluecoats, yet they don't get called out on them the way other corps do, they just lose a tenth or two and still end up in a 1-3 ish ordinal.

Other corps get slammed to the point that they slip a placement.  It's the BD effect. 

I believe that BD is absolutely a top 4 corps, and very likely a top 3 corps based on design, but the performance hardly EVER gets criticised the way it should.

The guard should have been 4th last night. The music should have been 3rd. I heard miss articulations and tuning issues.

Boston is noticeable cleaner visually. Crown is cleaner visually. Crown's brass was better than BD's, and I can not comment on percussion.

Anyway, it doesn't matter, I just feel that other corps are getting the credit that THEY deserve compared to BD.

I just see things beyond the qualitative judging.

I disagree with some of your points, but I wholeheartedly respect it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

I disagree with some of your points, but I wholeheartedly respect it. 

I respect you too.

Honestly, I would be saying the same thing about ANY corps in the same position as BD currently is in, even my corps. I don't just dislike the BD. I want to like all the corps.

• Like 1

I’m watching rebroadcast on Flo. 
does anyone else feel like Crowns show is way over designed? How much cloth can they have on the field?? For my eye it’s overdone and sloppy. Sometimes less is more.

• Thanks 6

35 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

I think BD "ARE" fan favorites, especially since 2014. They just will never be "THE" fan favorite, because they have won too much for that title.

Crowd reaction last night and so far this year says they are digging BD.

Flo Marching Poll ( for what its worth ) has the Blue Devils as the 3rd most favorite show of the 8 last night. So they are up there with the judges as their " favorite", and one of the top "favorites" with the fans away from DCP as well. The Blue Devils have the most followers on their facebook website than any other Drum Corps, so the Blue Devils are getting their national respects, imo.

Edited by Boss Anova
  • Like 6