Tuesday, July 19th “DCI Broken Arrow” …. Tiger Stadium Broken Arrow High School … Broken Arrow, OKLAHOMA

2 minutes ago, GREENBLUE said:

I’m watching rebroadcast on Flo. 
does anyone else feel like Crowns show is way over designed? How much cloth can they have on the field?? For my eye it’s overdone and sloppy. Sometimes less is more.

I love Crown. It's my home state corps and my daughter marched there. I'll be wearing a Crown t-shirt to Night Beat even though she's marching BD this year. Crown's show has lots of great moments. But I do feel like some of it was just too much.  Too many colored cloths that don't add much IMO. I wanted to hear more of that fabulous playing and less of the "right here, right now."

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Boss Anova said:

Flo Marching Poll ( for what its worth ) has the Blue Devils as the 3rd most favorite show of the 8 last night. So they are up there with the judges as their " favorite", and one of the top "favorites" with the fans away from DCP as well. The Blue Devils have the most followers on their facebook website than any other Drum Corps, so the Blue Devils are getting their national respects, imo.

...and Alabama football is wildy popular nationally.  People like a "winner".

1 hour ago, GREENBLUE said:

Seriously??? All your comments on these boards need asterisks by them when you’re comparing Blue Stars or any corps for that matter and The Cavaliers. Take any corps off the field for 2 weeks and see how they do. Just remember What they say about kharma…….this can happen to any corps.

***Cavaliers out for two weeks due to Covid.

Love you too 😘

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I think the bigger issue w/ Bloo is that the music seems to support the narration, which is fine in a movie but not so much in a Drum Corps show.   And being that the narration is so central to their show, IDK how to fix that w/o a major re-write.

But what do I know?

But the judge that would be affected by that design choice, GE 2 (music), didn't feel that way, putting them only .1 away from Blue Devils. On last night's sheet the main issue holding back Bloo are the performance captions (CG, Brass, and Perc) all coming in at 4th. Those can be more easily addressed (cleaning, layering and refining etc...). 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

That Broken Arrow crowd is full of band geeks. They're going to eat up everything that EVERY corps does, just like the Muncie, IN show.  There are too many marching band folks too close for them NOT to be enthusiastic about some marching band.

Look, I HATE the 1st 1/3 of BD show, and like the last 2/3 this year.  The props are very well designed and integrated into the show.  Cowboy bee bop was great until the Arban's tack on.  There was some visual dirt and mass guard drops in the show.  There were some noticeable brass issues last night.  The music is disjointed, but I recognize that they've worked and tweaked the transitions in Moon River.  More work needs to happen on the 1st third of the show.

Aside from the design choices that I typically dislike inherit in a BD show with the current music arrangers, they had some issues that were worse than Crown, BAC, or Bluecoats, yet they don't get called out on them the way other corps do, they just lose a tenth or two and still end up in a 1-3 ish ordinal.

Other corps get slammed to the point that they slip a placement.  It's the BD effect. 

I believe that BD is absolutely a top 4 corps, and very likely a top 3 corps based on design, but the performance hardly EVER gets criticised the way it should.

The guard should have been 4th last night. The music should have been 3rd. I heard miss articulations and tuning issues.

Boston is noticeable cleaner visually. Crown is cleaner visually. Crown's brass was better than BD's, and I can not comment on percussion.

Anyway, it doesn't matter, I just feel that other corps are getting the credit that THEY deserve compared to BD.

I just see things beyond the qualitative judging.

“HATE the first 1/3 of the show”.  #### … that’s intense dude! I’m sure any BD member who read this would … laugh? I’m not sure if anything put in the field by these amazing kids and every corps would even qualify for anything close to HATE.

For me, the inevitable “others don’t get credit that BD does” is drivel.  BD typically fields a corps and show with no weaknesses  And in particular, BD unassailable strength (typically) is they move better than any corps this year, and consistently for the past decade+ since the Cavies we’re kicking tail in 2000s. Visually, they are the standard, and consistently get rewarded for it. 

One interesting angle that I haven’t seen discussed: BD has a new brass caption head, and I believe are playing new horns?  I think they sound different.  Lusher.  Mellos are … wow.  For BD standards, brass has been a tad off in the 2H of the 2010s (if you can call 3rds or 4ths (2019 finals!) off. I wonder BD’s brass is the real X factor in 2022.  

Final thought: I think BAC is the dark horse.  Some 2008 PR vibe to me …

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, 3PoC said:

But the judge that would be affected by that design choice, GE 2 (music), didn't feel that way, putting them only .1 away from Blue Devils. On last night's sheet the main issue holding back Bloo are the performance captions (CG, Brass, and Perc) all coming in at 4th. Those can be more easily addressed (cleaning, layering and refining etc...). 

We’ll see one way or another 

10 minutes ago, GREENBLUE said:

I’m watching rebroadcast on Flo. 
does anyone else feel like Crowns show is way over designed? How much cloth can they have on the field?? For my eye it’s overdone and sloppy. Sometimes less is more.

Agree that it is neither coherent or intelligible. There are risks when using fabric, instead of a cohesive design thought.

From a GE and/or visual perspective, it raises the questions of what is the fabrics purpose, what is its relationship to the theme or musical passage, and what do the pattern/colors represent? Obviously they're trying to cover up for both staging and design flaws. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, jjeffeory said:

I've said it for many years regarding BD. They get the benefit of the doubt when there's an issue.

I specifically remember hearing some trumpet dirt in their '1930' show in Riverside, and the judges had them ahead despite the obvious issues.

In 2019 I heard brass issues show after show, especially at the San Bernardino show, and later shows, and they still were beating the Cavaliers in brass until the end. It took all season for someone to call them out on their brass.

Last night they had some very noticeable guard issues, that were picked up in the guard score, but totally ignored in the visual captions.  Yes, I think the BD use their props better than everyone else. Their design is the best. ...that, however, shouldn't boost the numbers to the point of being better than everyone else when they have some issues to address. Caption Bleed galore...

...and 1.7 points with THAT show? Yawn

Honestly, I'm not feeling this season so far. Lots of disappointing shows. There's not a lot of cohesion in so many of the designs, including BD, SCV, Cavaliers, and Crown. It's just a bunch of stuff that they're trying to mix together that doesn't mix together, and it shows.

Bluecoats have done a good job of being more cohesive than the other corps previously mentioned.

Cadets have done a wonderful job of coordinating all the pieces of music into a cohesive and pleasing package.

Phantom Regiment has done an excellent job of constructing a cohesive and pleasing design.

Blue Stars have done a great job, but I don't totally love the show despite WANTING to love the show.

Mandarins might have the most cohesive show, imho.

Boston is refining and layering, and are better than the first group I mentioned, and I hope they can add more.

Troopers show makes sense, but Crossmen's show doesn't really. Blue Knights is disjointed. Colts' show makes sense. Music City's design is cohesive, and flows well. 

Everyone, except the Cavaliers are cleaning up nicely. I do hope that other corps don't get sick.

...and if this type of design, aka the TM, is what the judges are going to reward then I'm going to severely cut back on my future ticket purchasing.

BD's winning is a symptom of a greater problem in the activity. One organization has become too powerful and too influential in the marching band and drum corps arena. That happens when you own the two largest marching band circuits in America (Western Bands and USBands), and are planning on starting a winter guard circuit as well ( if what I've been told is true). It is a winning business model for ONE organization.

This situation isn't likely to ever change until fans start voting with their feet with ticket purchase and FLO subscriptions.

As I've been saying forever. The emperor has NO clothes!

Another corps umbrella organization needs to do this too... **cough** Boston.

I agree with most of this well said. 
I too am incredibly disappointed with the design choices this year. maybe because of the pandemic they were stewing in their creative juices too long and went way out to left field with their choices.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I hope Gabe Trotter is here for this take of his on DCP FB 

Lmao. Shoutout BD for moving like 4 times in their show. Every other corps is out there working hard while BD stands still for 10 minutes and waits for the judges to hand them a ring. They dance from amorphous blob to amorphous blob and then stand for 45 seconds to play their horns. The “epic” ending to the show is them marching at like 120 bpm for a minte and a half. The arrangement of moon river is too much. They tried to add too much to it and it comes out as a hot mess. No amount of good players can fix an arrangement that sounds like someone’s cat ran across their keyboard and they decided to just go with it. Before any of you try to hit me with the “wElL tHe JuDgEs SeEm To DiSaGrEe” I don’t care. If you watched that show and legitimately thought it was two points better than any other corps that performed you’re delusional. They could go out and sit on the ground in silence the whole time and some of y’all would still be saying it’s “genius” or “revolutionary”. Stop letting the judges scoresheet tell you what is good and what isn’t. If their name didn’t carry as much weight as it does they would be getting railed by everyone on this page and at every competition they went to.about how the show is mind numbingly easy. I have fully prepared my mind and body for the comment section so bring it on.

• Haha 7