Tuesday, July 19th “DCI Broken Arrow” …. Tiger Stadium Broken Arrow High School … Broken Arrow, OKLAHOMA

5 hours ago, jjeffeory said:

I think calling people 'crazies' is a bit of hyperbole.

Not everyone with a criticism is a crazy.  If we're all agreeing all of the time, then it's really not a good conversation.

I make a statement and back it up with reasons. That's not how crazy works.  

Best wishes, Lance! Glad to know you're around!

Not everything is about you.  Was responding directly to ChiefGuns which is why I quoted his post.  Didn't read a single thing you said in this thread until now.  

20 minutes ago, saxfreq1128 said:

Yeah look the fact is that by making so much of this about BD, people are missing out on a chance to ask the far more relevant question here which is why Crown took such a beating in the GE category… If it’s really true that the problem isn’t BD winning so much as the margin of their win, we should be looking harder at this spot on the sheets where it’s clear something serious is going on for Crown’s score. One GE judge had Crown 5th. How did this become a conversation about BD? I get that BD winning with a gap after an off performance feels really incongruous and gets our attention, but I would think we’re smarter than that. Crown’s final placement was higher than they were ranked by either GE judge. That means their performance was strong enough to overcome that GE deficit in a serious way. That, to me, is the much more informative story here. 

Also, everyone, we gotta get away from counting drops as a test of whether judges are “right” about guard scores … I get that they’re the loudest errors, but in the scheme of things, they’re skindeep.  

I finally got to see last night's runs - been working all day. What struck me about Crown was the simple flow of the show is now very choppy - they've added a bunch which also made it rather dirty. It really hurt my impressions just watching on Flo - now the  5th place was a bit of an outlier. But compared to Crown, BD was much cleaner and the designed made sense. Not the feeling that the parts were competing with one another. I was especially shocked at how dirty the corps (other than the guard) was. JMO, but they deserved the loss. 

Edited by George Dixon
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, DrummerParent said:

This would make sense- seems they should label it that way.  But I think I read that used to be the case but is no longer?

The reasoning that I recall is that the GE judges are not labeled GE Music and GE Visual specifically anymore is it gives the judge the option to react to the entire visual and music performance from a holistic aspect. This would be rather than the judge solely focused on just music or visual alone. This said, the main focus of each judge (music or visual) would still be their primary focus during the performance. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Chief Guns said:

Please tell me I wasn't the only one in the 90s spending my afternoons in Sam Goody's music store, going thru CDs for hours lol.

Haha! The only place to sell you parental advisory ones too before you were old enough. Was in there so often I eventually got paid to hang out... I mean, given a job.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Cappybara said:

It IS a very fun ending. The entire music book is excellent. It reminds me of all those talented Cadets corps with fantastic music books and visual books with very questionable concepts. The pieces just don’t fit together when looking at it through the lens of a conceptualized show 

It's Cadets 2008. Down to the closer that doesn't fit the tone of what's happening around it. For such a light-and-happy show, you'd think that it'd have a slightly less ominous closer. Similar to how by the end of 2008 the closing narration in Cadets was about appreciating life...as they played a rather angry-sounding piece inspired by a volcano eruption that destroyed a city.

Edited by ftwdrummer
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, dcsnare93 said:

Haha! The only place to sell you parental advisory ones too before you were old enough. Was in there so often I eventually got paid to hang out... I mean, given a job.

That is the truth! I don't think I was ever turned away from buying a hip hop CD that had the parental advisory on it lol. Sam Goody was my go to place for music. Good times back then.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cappybara said:

Is that you Gabe? 

(sorry, had to)

Nah, my name is Zachary, but nice try. Lol.

It's okay, I know you were joking. 

9 minutes ago, Quad Aces said:

BD is always given a good show to perform and they always perform it very well, but I feel like I have been watching the same show with a different title for a number of years now.

And there is a good chance that they will win again this year.

But despite their success, they are really starting to get boring.

Yawn.

exactly how I feel most years (and this) with BD

• Like 5