Tuesday, July 19th “DCI Broken Arrow” …. Tiger Stadium Broken Arrow High School … Broken Arrow, OKLAHOMA

2 hours ago, CFC1905 said:

I have unapologetic contempt for BD. Won’t hide it. But it’s not because of their success. It’s from personal interactions with corps members when I marched. Specifically how they carried themselves when they weren’t winning. Extremely classless. Maybe things have changed. I dunno. 

I won a championship in high school. When we all broke ranks, I remember celebrating on the field and being so incredibly excited. A kid from another school that we competed against shouted something like “congratulations (second place school), you  were the real champions tonight!”

I remember being so ###### off. I had worked my tail off and to have somebody do something so immature and ruin this moment for me… it hurt! I immediately knew that their school was classless and were people I couldn’t stand. I must’ve made some disappointed facial reaction, because just then, another member from their school ran up to me. She apologized for him, said that “we’re not all like that” and congratulated me. We hugged it out.

That moment meant the world to me. As a teen, that moment could’ve shaped so much for me, but that girl did so much more. It’s so important to realize that one person doesn’t represent a whole group. People are decent, even when we get one bad snapshot. Kids make more dumb decisions than adults. Drum corps members are just older kids!

I’m proud of the person I am today. I’m a huge BD fan, but it wasn’t all that long ago, that I was in high school, bringing a newspaper to read during the Blue Devils performance, because I thought it would be funny. I grew up and learned from my mistakes, too.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Cappybara said:

Yup. Just a simple example of people hating too much success 

Nope.  Not at all (at least for me, can’t speak for the others).

BD can win a gazillion rings, but their shows, at least right now for me, have gotten stale and boring.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I find it interesting that a lot of the BD honks on here think that criticism of their recent show design trend has everything to do with hating them because they win, and nothing to do with their choice of show design.

it’s as if since they win a lot, their show design absolutely has to be fantastic - because if you don’t agree, you hate them because they win.

I don’t buy into the success breeds hate concept myself - there are plenty of activities/sports where I am a big fan of the dynasties that exist.

BD can win because they have figured out how to win, but that doesn’t mean that they haven’t become repetitive, boring, dull, and lack innovation right now - it’s OK, it really is.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

7 hours ago, ironlips said:

One incident

7 hours ago, ironlips said:

An adolescent making an in-appropriate comment pales by comparison. 

When it’s a pattern of behavior and not one incident, the only logical explanation is that the culture was being driven by the staff. 

I know the difference between one or two jerks and the behavior of an entire corps 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, CFC1905 said:

I have unapologetic contempt for BD. Won’t hide it. But it’s not because of their success. It’s from personal interactions with corps members when I marched. Specifically how they carried themselves when they weren’t winning. Extremely classless. Maybe things have changed. I dunno. 

When my son marched Crown in 2013, he said the FIRST members to offer congratulations at Finals Retreat were the Blue Devils.

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, CrownBariDad said:

When my son marched Crown in 2013, he said the FIRST members to offer congratulations at Finals Retreat were the Blue Devils.

Well when we beat them, they were yelling “f****** f*gs!” during finals retreat. Happened all summer among other things. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, Quad Aces said:

Nope.  Not at all (at least for me, can’t speak for the others).

BD can win a gazillion rings, but their shows, at least right now for me, have gotten stale and boring.

Glad it's for you and who cares what you think...take it Dr. Phil.

Edited by DFA1970
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Hot take here. I really wish we went back to the 2021 tour model and did away with shows being judged. I hate stressing over scores, placements, spreads, etc. I don’t want to feel like any corps is the “enemy”. Last summer we were all just enjoying some really good shows. That’s it. There wasn’t the typical animosity. 

Different topic for a different thread, but that’s why I never refer to the marching arts as a sport. I hate the competition aspect of it.  I hate what it brings out of us. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1