Tuesday, July 19th “DCI Broken Arrow” …. Tiger Stadium Broken Arrow High School … Broken Arrow, OKLAHOMA

1 minute ago, Jeff Ream said:

overall BD hatred for the actual shows has diminished quite a bit since 14.

‘12 was one rough year! 😅

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, crownisking said:

That’s fair. A video isn’t the same as a live performance, obviously. But the live shows were well received. Not saying that’s any different from any other year in Indy. But not having to worry about scores last year was, for me at least, incredibly freeing.

Oh yeah, Crown was absolutely awesome last year, and I wish they could have come to Indy.

There's no way that BD or SCV's product would have translated to being performed in Indy, and they obviously weren't meant to. Neither was particularly compelling, but perhaps they were a proof of concept? Maybe all corps should do those IN ADDITION to the field show.

I actually DID watch them, and they were fine.

I DO remember in the early 2000s when BD did do some brass theater type shows; I remember 'Living La Vida Loca' in particular as being awesome, but those were different than the 'music' videos.

Edited by jjeffeory

2 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

overall BD hatred for the actual shows has diminished quite a bit since 14.

People have generally stopped caring; anyway, that's just my circle of friends who have decreased interest in the activity, well unless their kids are currently marching...

The young adults will perform whatever is given to them.

14 hours ago, Incognito365 said:

Last BD show I reach for is 2011. And that's not because I hate the current BD shows or anything, but that's the last time I truly remember feeling differently about a BD show. It's also the last one that I truly liked. Not liking something doesn't refer to hating it, just not my cup of tea. Folks need to realize that when you say you don't like something, it doesn't automatically mean you hate it.

I loved that show, I personally think it should have beaten Cadets 2 uniform gimmick that year - but others felt differently 

2 minutes ago, MidWAmericanArts said:

‘12 was one rough year! 😅

08-13 was brutal. i know i disliked all of those shows greatly

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jjeffeory said:

People have generally stopped caring; anyway, that's just my circle of friends who have decreased interest in the activity, well unless their kids are currently marching...

The young adults will perform whatever is given to them.

some truth here yes, but even since 14 in Allentown, the so called BD hatred hell on the planet, fan reactions to BD since 14 has been far more positive that say 08-13.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jjeffeory said:

Oh yeah, Crown was absolutely awesome last year, and I wish they could have come to Indy.

There's not way that BD or SCV's product would translate, and they obviously weren't meant to.

I actually DID watch them, and they were fine.

I DO remember in the early 2000s when BD did do some brass theater type shows; I remember 'Living La Vida Loca' in particular as being awesome, but those were different than the 'music' videos.

Maybe it’s the millennial in me but I actually enjoyed BD’s show last year! And to be fair, Crown’s show wouldn’t have worked on a normal year either. They took full advantage of being able to stop and reset in between movements and just edit it to look like one continuous show.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jeff Ream said:

08-13 was brutal. i know i disliked all of those shows greatly

I only started liking BD in ‘12. It wasn’t necessarily my favorite show, but I started enjoying how talented they were. I sat down with designers in the activity that explained why BD show designs were so good, kinda explained the activity to me. I started to see BD in a new way and really respected them.

That being said, I completely understand the dislike of their shows. I just can’t believe how worked up people can get about them. It’s so funny, meeting a Blue Devil in person and remember that we’re talking about a bunch of college kids who are good people.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, MidWAmericanArts said:

That may be a fair criticism of most BD fans. Even as a BD homer, I think they had beatable designs in 2016, 2018, and (don’t hate me) 2019.

Even so, they consistently put out good designs. There are moments in some shows that have me scratching my head, but I’m not banging my head on a table for the entire show. There are groups that place well competitively that fall in that category (even this year).

BD absolutely has figured out how to win. I know people think the sheets are in BD’s favor, but really, BD is just in the sheet’s favor. If you eliminated GE from the score sheets, you’d best believe that corps would put out a technically proficient corps that would blow their other seasons out of the water.

They’ve had mostly the same staff for an incredibly long time. Their staff is full of some of the best (and often the best) in their caption. They gel as a team and get how to win. That is all 100% true, but don’t let that diminish their value as educators. They do historically incredible things.

I do think to some degree, you can point out elements that are repetitive. I guarantee that I can do that for every drum corps, though. Some might say the Bluecoats are the most original in the activity and (no hate to Bloo, I LOVE THEM) I’d say “are you serious?”

Boring/dull - completely subjective. I find elements of some other corps dull, but that may be your favorite moment of the night. I’m happy for you and understand not everybody likes the same things. Turn on a recording of Blue Devils when they are out west or in Colorado. The fans were going ballistic because they love that style of show and the west does things differently.

Lacking innovation…. Eh? I mean, I can point out several things that BD does that are completely new to the activity this year, but you’re right… I wouldn’t say that this show is innovative. Whose is though? The last show that I’d describe as innovative was Bluecoats in 2016. I don’t think anybody has really pushed the envelope since then.

All in all, you don’t enjoy BD and that is 100% ok! I do wonder if you’d like them more if the competitive aspect was removed and you could just enjoy the production. But all in all, I guess my take away is that we don’t all have to like the same thing. Tribalism is the enemy of all!

I completely agree with this. Thanks

13 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

some truth here yes, but even since 14 in Allentown, the so called BD hatred hell on the planet, fan reactions to BD since 14 has been far more positive that say 08-13.

I'll watch for it. At this point, I look for things to enjoy in all the corps shows. I look for aspects where the corps are doing something interesting.  BD has their props, Cowboy Beebop, and the drill near the end of the show.